PDA

View Full Version : OK - here's the silliest question yet...

deanielee
03-14-2009, 10:55 AM
My Dad is setting up a new tank - he is a beginner as am I - but he has asked me about cycling a cold water tank ( I have tropicals and have just completed the whole palarver ) but I have no clue whether cold water cycles at all, let alone the same as a heated tank!! Please help... and by the way thanks to all who helped me with white spot and temp questions, my fish have survived against all odds!!

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Bacteria grows faster in warmer tanks but will still grow in unheated tanks. You will need more patience.

How large is the tank he's setting up? He could cycle with fish if he was very careful to not overstock and do his water testing daily and test with his test kit.

Bacteria suppliments are not necessary but they also help to hold the toxic levels in check.

gm72
03-14-2009, 12:47 PM
When I set up my cold water tank I performed a fishless cycle at 90 degrees then slowly lowered the temp over 2 days. Added fish. Done.

Lady Hobbs
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Here ya go. Best idea yet.

Wild Turkey
03-14-2009, 02:02 PM
When I set up my cold water tank I performed a fishless cycle at 90 degrees then slowly lowered the temp over 2 days. Added fish. Done.

Agreed, the most effective way to do it IMO.

but Hobbs is 100% right, the bacteria will grow, just not quite as fast as 80 is even slightly lower than the optimal temp, so any lower just takes us further and further from it, however, fish in frozen lakes dont die, so it can grow at almost any temp in theory.

Northernguy
03-14-2009, 02:17 PM
With the heat you have your cold water tank would be in the mid 70s without a heater.I like the fishless cycle idea as well.
If your tank is cycled you could remove some of the media and place a small amount in his tank filter.It should be a very fast cycle.
What size tank and is it for gold fish?

deanielee
03-15-2009, 05:39 AM
AHHHH - now I like the idea of giving him some filter media. He doesn't have a heater as he's intending to do the cold tank thing, so the express cycle with hot water is out of the question - shame, it's a gr8 idea too - I'll b remembering that 4 my next tank... (I just have to figure how to sneak it into the house without my husband seeing it first!!!)