PDA

View Full Version : New aquarium questions

Gelo_USA
02-17-2007, 03:57 AM
ok I got my new aquarium its a 40 gallon I have everything on it but the filter
and a heater wich I will get later

I want to start cycling it but I wanna do it the right way this time cause I dnt want to sacrifice any fish for tht
I knw it will take me about 3 weeks to do it but I have a product called byozime
I was reading about it online they say its dehydrated NITRATES so I can add a half tea spoon of it for every25 gallons and thts all the nitrates I need

U guys think I can add tht give it some time and test the water if it reads 0 ammonia 0 nitrites around 30 nitrates u guys think I could add fish?
I was thinking on doing it like tht waiting a week before adding the fish I would add amonia until I get 5ppm on the tank and then wait some more time and check out if it goes to 0 if it does I m ready for fish right?

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:03 AM
Nono, you don't want nitrates in your water. The whole point of water changes is to reduce nitrates. Nitrates in you water, however, indicates the presence of a bunch of bacteria that has converted waste to ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate though. It's these bacteria that you want, not the end product. It doesn't make sense to add nitrates unless you have a lot of plants, because you'll have a tank that is WORSE off than if you just added plain tap water lol.

You still need to cycle it. The only way around this is to buy those 30-40 dollar bags of biospira that contains refrigerated nitrifying bacteria, and even then, you gotta wait 24 hours.

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Nono, you don't want nitrates in your water. The whole point of water changes is to reduce nitrates. Nitrates in you water, however, indicates the presence of a bunch of bacteria that has converted waste to ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate though. It's these bacteria that you want, not the end product. It doesn't make sense to add nitrates unless you have a lot of plants, because you'll have a tank that is WORSE off than if you just added plain tap water lol.

You still need to cycle it. The only way around this is to buy those 30-40 dollar bags of biospira that contains refrigerated nitrifying bacteria, and even then, you gotta wait 24 hours.

At my LFS, they sell 5 gallon boxes of precycled REAL sea water. only 10 bucks for five gallons, but not really worth it, unless you want it done quick and easy. The challenge is half the fun!

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:12 AM
yeah, get cycle and pure ammonia

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:15 AM
At my LFS, they sell 5 gallon boxes of precycled REAL sea water. only 10 bucks for five gallons, but not really worth it, unless you want it done quick and easy. The challenge is half the fun!

One of the articles I linked the other day had an analysis of real seawater and the stuff made from instant ocean, etc. Apparently, Instant Ocean has more trace elements and required minerals than seawater.....perhaps to compensate for the fact that they get depleted so easily in a tank

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:18 AM
i used to use instant ocean in my 10g. I think ill use that brand with my new SW

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:20 AM
i used to use instant ocean in my 10g. I think ill use that brand with my new SW

I used instant ocean. Get the three pound box, as it provides perfect specific gravity in a 10 gallon tank. It was real easy!

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Have you ever noticed that its always us three that hijack threads? (accidentaly of course)

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:22 AM
hahahahaha. yeah.

One warehouse around here sells BIGASS containers of live sand and HUGE buckets of instant ocean. I can get a years worth of salt with water changes included for 30$

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Another jacking question.

Are you going to do water changes in your sw or just do the natural thing?

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Another jacking question.

Are you going to do water changes in your sw or just do the natural thing?

Ima give natural a try, just adding distilled water, but if that doesnt work, ill try water changes.

Does distilled water have to be dechlorinated and such?

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:28 AM
dunno about distilled. I may just do a 20% water change in the begining to stable things out, then add the fish, then do the natural thing

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:29 AM
I havent seen Fish whisperer on in a while. I hope Reptileguy didnt scare him away.

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:30 AM
Distilled usually means dechlorinated no?

And I'm almost positive you'll have to do water changes until your live rock fully cures and kicks into biological/nitrate reduction fulltime

People wandering by these forums must think we are training terrorists. We are so profficient at hijacking stuff!

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:31 AM
lol. thread terrorists. Yeah, fish whisperer and northern boy arent too frequent anymore

Gelo_USA
02-17-2007, 04:31 AM

I M SORRYYYYY I didnt mean NITRATE I meant the BACTERIA tht converts it to nitrate I AM SORRY BIG MISTAKE
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3991

Gelo_USA
02-17-2007, 04:33 AM
what this BYOZIME DOES IS IT PUTS THE GOOD BACTERIA
so if I add tht wait some time add amonia until its upt to 5 ppm and then test the water a few days after I should have had a nitrite spike and then some NITRATES right? tht means my tank is CYCLED

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:34 AM
Eh, I'm sure it works, but the only substitute for cycling that I've seen solid reviews on is Biospira. That stuff will make cycling faster (as will many other products) but you still have to wait.

By the way, you have to add ammonia every day until you ammonia and nitrites are both back to zero. If you stop adding ammonia when you have a nitrite spike, the ammonia eating bacteria will die before you get your fish in

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:34 AM
People wandering by these forums must think we are training terrorists. We are so profficient at hijacking stuff!

So are we going to hijack the hummer for the roadtrip too?

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:36 AM
hmmm, how about a army humvee?

we'll have a turret that we can hire a hobo to use, and can fend off cops and everything

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:37 AM
So are we going to hijack the hummer for the roadtrip too?

Hummers get what, 5 gallons to the mile? I'll save my money and buy a 12g JBJ nanocube k thx

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:37 AM
how about we go around the country getting free hamsters and using them to power the humvee?

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:40 AM
how about we go around the country getting free hamsters and using them to power the humvee?

I want a back pack full of ferrets. now.

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:41 AM
.............................................____, ,,---~`\,.............. .................................................. .........
................................,,,_.,-~"* . . . . . . . . ."\,.............................................. ...........................
.............................,/` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "\, .................................................. ....................
......................... ,/. . . . : : : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :\-,...................... ...........................................
....................... ./. . . .: . :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : ::: -, ................. ..............................................
......................,/ . . . : . :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : :: -, ............... ............................................
...................,-/ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : : : :: : : :::: :::: ::::::;............... ...........................................
......... *""\'''~~~~-______________________,,,,,,,,,,,,----~""""""""`/""*........................................
............ \,/\,/'\,,/"\,,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/"\,/"\,/"\,/"\.,-"-/...............................................
.............."~~-,,_____,,,,__________,,,,,,,,_____________,,,,---~"............................................. ..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;-,..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-_ -,\ ; ; ; ; ,
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;, : :||; ; ; ; ; ,.
.,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-/ :,-~~, : ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,- : // ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,| : -,;;;;,- : / ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,___,,-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-.
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-,;;;;|-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~, -,;;;| ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,.
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;~-,,,_ , , , , , , ,;,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\.
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,~-,, , ,,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,,;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,_, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
.., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \.
\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,- . ,,--,, . -, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . , | . . | ; ;-, . .\,,/ . ./-,,--, . , ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . ., ; ; ;, . .| ; ; ; | . .- . ,- | . . | ; ; ; -, . . .,- ; ;,- . ,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,.
.., ; ; ; ; ; ;, . -,__,- . , ; ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;---- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,_ . ._,,- ; ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; () ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
......., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:41 AM
k, we'll have front wheel hamster drive, and rear wheel ferret drive.

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:42 AM
.............................................____, ,,---~`\,.............. .................................................. .........
................................,,,_.,-~"* . . . . . . . . ."\,.............................................. ...........................
.............................,/` . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "\, .................................................. ....................
......................... ,/. . . . : : : : : :::: :::: :: : : : : :\-,...................... ...........................................
....................... ./. . . .: . :: : : :::: :::: :::: :::: : ::: -, ................. ..............................................
......................,/ . . . : . :: ::: :: : : :: :::: :::: :: : : : :: -, ............... ............................................
...................,-/ : :: :: :: :: :: : : : : : : : :: : : :::: :::: ::::::;............... ...........................................
......... *""\'''~~~~-______________________,,,,,,,,,,,,----~""""""""`/""*........................................
............ \,/\,/'\,,/"\,,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/""\,..,/"\,/"\,/"\,/"\.,-"-/...............................................
.............."~~-,,_____,,,,__________,,,,,,,,_____________,,,,---~"............................................. ..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;-,..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-_ -,\ ; ; ; ; ,
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;, : :||; ; ; ; ; ,.
.,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-/ :,-~~, : ,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,- : // ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
..,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,| : -,;;;;,- : / ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,___,,-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-.
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-,;;;;|-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~, -,;;;| ,,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,.
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;~-,,,_ , , , , , , ,;,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\.
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; Chrona sucks; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,~-,, , ,,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,
, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,,;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,_, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
.., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \.
\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,
., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|
..| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;,..
| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,- . ,,--,, . -, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . , | . . | ; ;-, . .\,,/ . ./-,,--, . , ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . ., ; ; ;, . .| ; ; ; | . .- . ,- | . . | ; ; ; -, . . .,- ; ;,- . ,- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,.
, ; ; ; ; ; ;, . -,__,- . , ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;---- ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,.
.| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,_ . ._,,- ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; () ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,
......., ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; -,

...yes, really.

Gelo_USA
02-17-2007, 04:43 AM
so I should add ammonia to my water first until its 5 ppm...
add those GOOD BACTERIAS
and the next day add the same ammount of ammonia...
and next day the same ammount and keep doing it until I get a nitrite spike then I should keep putting the same ammount everyday? until when? until my ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are around 30 ?
if I add the bacteria how long would it take? about a week?
sorry but I never cycled a tank without fish and I just learned about cycling about a week ago so everything is still a little messed up in my head LOL

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:43 AM
LOL, it says chrona sucks! hahahahahahaha:1:

were getting so much postcount spamming along here!

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Gah, need to find a better owl. Whoever made that one sucks at ascii

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:44 AM
LOL, it says chrona sucks! hahahahahahaha:1:

were getting so much postcount spamming along here!

Wasnt me boss.

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:45 AM
me either!

YAY, one more postcount!

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:45 AM
so I should add ammonia to my water first until its 5 ppm...
add those GOOD BACTERIAS
and the next day add the same ammount of ammonia...
and next day the same ammount and keep doing it until I get a nitrite spike then I should keep putting the same ammount everyday? until when? until my ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates are around 30 ?
if I add the bacteria how long would it take? about a week?
sorry but I never cycled a tank without fish and I just learned about cycling about a week ago so everything is still a little messed up in my head LOL

When you get your nitrite spike, cut ammonia by half. When both ammonia and nitrite = 0, then do a BIG water change, making sure not to touch the filter and gravel, then you are good to go

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:46 AM
ditto with chrona. Gimme a c, gimme a h, gimme a r, gimme a o, gimme a n, gimme a a, what does that spell?

CHRONA!

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
this sucks balls, i have to shovel snow now. DANG

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 04:49 AM
ditto with chrona. Gimme a c, gimme a h, gimme a r, gimme a o, gimme a n, gimme a a, what does that spell?

CHRONA!

Awwww, no cheeleaders?:ezpi_wink1:

Chrona
02-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Awwww, no cheeleaders?:ezpi_wink1:

----*\o_---------------_c/*----------
-----/--*--------------*--\-----------
----<\-------*\o/*-------/>----------
---------------)----------------------
--------c/*---/->----*\o-------------
-------<\--------------/>------------
__o---*/\-------------/\*-----c__----
*-/>--------------------------<\-*---
-/\*---__o_------_c__--------*/\-----
-------*-/--*----*-\-*----------------
--------<\----------/>-----------------
------------*\c/*---------------------
------------__)__---------------------

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:01 AM

lolthumbs2: :ezpi_wink1: :4: :hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
02-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Much better, ima go to bed. Night yall.

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:02 AM
whoa, my post merged into chronas!

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:02 AM
its only 10 here. Ill just play some 360 later

Chrona
02-17-2007, 05:03 AM
wtf, NUUUU my beautiful ascii art!

Chrona
02-17-2007, 05:04 AM
I think this thread just blew up from too much hijacking

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 05:04 AM
poor thread. lol

360 time! see ya

Gelo_USA
02-17-2007, 05:50 AM
yea poor me trying to understand cycling and u all doing this LOL
if my fish die I will blame it on all of uu LOL
just jk

cocoa_pleco
02-17-2007, 04:26 PM
lol. were official thread terrorists. We should have our own chrona, cocoa_pleco, and drumachine09 section

Youre doing the right stuff so far though, gelo

Gelo_USA
02-18-2007, 03:32 AM
I think I should have it ready in about a week
I waited until temprature was good added the bacteria I had and my water is all foggy white wich the means the bacteria are reproducing right so tomorrow I should have less amonnia than I need the add more until nitrite spikes then keep adding half until nitrites lower and do a big water change and add the fish