PDA

View Full Version : Fry not latching on to Discus as well as eggs being eaten!

silent_thunder
03-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Hellp people...

I am having trouble with my breeding pair of discus! Every 4 or 5 days.

They started laying eggs 2 weeks ago but the babies never have latched on ...also

The last 2 times they laid eggs the male ATE them...whats HE thinkling!

I just recieved a spawning cone, now...should I uses it with the mesh on? would that help them from eating the eggs

OR at somepoint am I going to have to put the wigglers in another tank and try feeding them myself...

Anyones input will be greatly appreciated!

Thx

Crispy
03-13-2009, 05:26 PM
you could put them in an egg tumbler so they hatch.. but after that I know they like to feed off the parents slime-coat. Maybe some liqui-fry ??

btate617
03-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Discus are great for eating their eggs, it will take them some time to get it right. Like Crispy said though the fry should be left with the parents, maybe remove the male after they spawn and leave the eggs with just the female.

Brian

silent_thunder
03-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Does it go on before she lays eggs or after?

Also...how do I look up past threads on Discus so you dont have to answer so many qustions by me =L=

Thanks for the help!

Crispy
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Also...how do I look up past threads on Discus so you dont have to answer so many qustions by me =L=
Thanks for the help!

there's a search tab on the menu... then just type in what you're looking for and all related threads will come up.

Algenco
03-14-2009, 11:26 PM
give them time, it may take 6-7 attempts before they learn, disturb them as little as possible, if they feel the spawn is threatened they'll eat them.

silent_thunder
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the help people I apprciate it...

I had NO idea I had piced out a pair of blur turks:fish2:

I probably over reacted and spooked them the last few times...no more of that!

Dkarc
03-17-2009, 02:19 AM
Give them time....they just need practice. Discus are notorious for eating their eggs. If you are that concerned about it, after they have spawned, place the mesh egg guard over the cone so they cant eat them. Just be patient and disturb them as little as possible.

-Ryan

kennedpa
05-05-2009, 07:47 AM
give them time, it may take 6-7 attempts before they learn, disturb them as little as possible, if they feel the spawn is threatened they'll eat them.

Yes if they are young discus they will much on the eggs, generally 6 - 7 times as quoted...before they learn