PDA

View Full Version : Gymnothorax Tile Compatibility?'s

BigFutch
02-21-2006, 12:41 AM
:D

I just purchased a G. Tile, and have read William's article on keeping freshwater eels. This informative article indicates that I need to house G. Tile in a brackish, not freshwater environment. My questions are as follows:

1) How much salt / gallons of water do I need to achieve the correct brackish conditions?

2) G. Tile is currently in my 55 gal community aquarium which consists of (3) 7" bala sharks, (1) 3"Geophagus Surenimensis, (1) 5" Geophagus Tapajos, (1) F1 4" Angel, (1) 5" Green Severum, and (5) 2" chinese algae eaters. Am I correct in my assumption that these fish will not be compatible w/ G. Tile's brackish requirements?

3) My other 55 gal tank consists of a variety of Mbuna African's, including a 6" M.chipokae and an 8" Psedotrpopheus Crabro (currently in a 10 gal due to excessive tank kills; I'm in the process of increasing my tank density from the current 8 to about 15). I've routinely added salt to this tank, but never approaching any sort of brackish condition. Am I correct in my assumption that these fish will not be compatible w/ G. Tile's brackish requirements, nor G. Tile do to their aggresive behavior?

Therein lies my dilema. Can G. Tile be productive in either of these environments, or should I start a 10 or 20 gal (Tall) brackish tank.

Sorry for the long post, I just want to make sure I do what's best for G. Tile as he appears to be quite interesting.

William
02-21-2006, 05:45 AM
Hi
Glad you liked my article. G. tile can be kept in freshwater but will than be more sensetive and you will need to give it better care than you do in brackish water.

That said. I have kept G.tile in freshwater for periods of over one year without any problem. So it is possible to keep it in freshwater untill you can give it better accomendations. The most important thing if you keep it in freshwater will be to provide a lot of hiding places and leep stress to a minimum.

1) 1 cup of salt per 5 gallons (produces 1.005 salinity) is suitable for your Gymnothorax tile. You might want to increase the salinity gradually for the fish and slowly build up to that level over a number of days.

2) No. those fish species and especially the angel and severum will not be compatible with brackish water. I would aslo expect that the chinese algae eaters and perhaps the Geophagus Surenimensis would end up on the menu for the G.tile (depending on its size)

3) Correct again, well most likely correct it might work depending on the size of your Gymnothorax tile and the amount of hiding places in the aquarium, IE how safe it feels. I wouldn't recommend it though and defenetly not if your G-tile is less than 12 inches at the moment.

Setting up a privat brackish tank sounds like the best idea. (I recommend you go for the 20 gallon in that case) This will also keep your other fish safe from your g.tile which is an excellent hunter even if it at times can seem clumsy.

Don't worry about the long post. All questions are always welcome. let me know if I can tell you anything else.

Regards
William

BigFutch
02-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Thanks for your response. I'll work toward a new brackish tank. Since, my G. Tile is about 15" long, what are good takemates and I assume I slowly increase the salinity with the new fish along w/ G. Tile.

Reggie

William
02-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Considering the brackish water you might consider monos an datnoids as company.