PDA

View Full Version : BTA Regurgitating

labnjab
03-13-2009, 01:27 AM
The last 2 feeding, our BTA ate all of its shrimp, but 4-5 hrs later it regurgitates half of it. Is this normal and does it get enough nutrients from half the food? He seems very healthy and has been growing steadily since we got it and is fully open all day and half the night, even the last few days when its been regurgitating.

My only thought is that the shrimp is too old. Its fresh table shrimp that we froze ourselves a month ago. If this isn't normal I'll pick some fresh shrimp up tomorrow. Thank you for any help

edit: I knew it was normal for some regurgitation but I wasn't sure if half what it was fed was normal. I've been feeding it 1/2-3/4 inch size shrimp

cocoa_pleco
03-13-2009, 02:01 AM
is it raw shrimp or cooked shrimp youre feeding?

labnjab
03-13-2009, 02:04 AM
raw shrimp...

cocoa_pleco
03-13-2009, 02:05 AM
hmmm, thats the right kind. i dont know whats up then

labnjab
03-13-2009, 02:06 AM
I'll try some fresh tomorrow. Maybe a month in the freezer is too long

cocoa_pleco
03-13-2009, 02:07 AM
I'll try some fresh tomorrow. Maybe a month in the freezer is too long

i have raw shrimp in my freezer from november and my fish still gobble it down

labnjab
03-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Its just odd. Our open brain still eats the shrimp and the BTA won't touch silversides. It digest half the shrimp, but I don't think its enough. I'll try some fresh shrimp and also pick up some scallops or clams. I just don't want it starving

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
How often are you feeding it?

labnjab
03-13-2009, 02:39 AM
Every 2 days. Were following the same schedule and food as the person we got it from did and he had it since it was half dollar size. Is its regurgitation a sign of feeding it too much? Its was eating normally up until this week.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-13-2009, 03:26 AM
You could very well be feeding it too much. You may be able to feed it every 3 days, but you may not need to feed it as much. Remember, they do contain zooxanthalae and as a result they get lots of nourishment from that. Feeding an anemone is not an absolute necessity, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Mine usually only gets fed once a week.

labnjab
03-13-2009, 04:23 AM
You could very well be feeding it too much. You may be able to feed it every 3 days, but you may not need to feed it as much. Remember, they do contain zooxanthalae and as a result they get lots of nourishment from that. Feeding an anemone is not an absolute necessity, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Mine usually only gets fed once a week.

I've been feeding it often because from what I've researched before getting it is if they get hungry or are unhappy they can wander. Its only moved a half inch since we added it, so it must be happy. We will cut back on how often we feed it and see if it stops regurgitating.

We'll wait till next thursday to feed it again, unless we see it start to wander. Thank you for the help ILMGB and Cocoa_Pleco. I'll keep you posted