PDA

View Full Version : Any suitable plecos for a 29 gal?

Leopardgeckofan
03-13-2009, 01:26 AM
Hey there, I am re-starting with my fish. I recently had a huge pleco die on me, and I realized how bad my husbandry was, so I am starting over! :) I have been adding nitrite and ammonia/chemical removers to the water, and feeding my current guppies and rainbow shark(I know... Not the best choice for a hardwater tank that is only 29 gallons... lol) a more varied and vegetarian diet.

So I ask you: Are there any plecos that grow to a size suitable for a 29-30 gal?:)

toddnbecka
03-13-2009, 01:38 AM
There are some species small enough for a 29, the BN and clown pleco's are probably the most commonly available small species. BN's are excellent for keeping the glass and ornaments free of algae. Clowns need driftwood, they actually eat it, and will die w/out it in their diet.
I have a handful of L129's on hand, and can ship. They're one of the smallest species and don't have any special dietary requirements. PM if interested.
Heres a link to a list of smaller pleco's, also check out planetcatfish.com or plecofanatics.com for more detailed info on any particular species.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=132656

Leopardgeckofan
03-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Clown plecos... Thanks for the tip! ;D

bluebluecow
03-13-2009, 10:49 AM
flash plecos are nice, and have a fantastic tail, that seems to go on nforever with long threads from the top, cant you tell I have a flash, I also have a L315 which is nice black velvet colour with white spots

Liz

Leopardgeckofan
03-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Will those work for a 30 gal?

toddnbecka
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM
L204's grow to about 5-5.5", about the upper size limit for a smaller tank. They're also aquatic termites like the clowns.

Leopardgeckofan
03-13-2009, 07:14 PM
OK I just bought a clown pleco. I read up on them with this site, so a diet of prepared foods and fresh vegetables, and occasionally egg yolk for food? :)

And there is two nice hunks of driftwood for him to eat. He is about an inch and a half long.

dmagerl
03-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I just bought a clown plec for my 29gal tank. It's been a week and I think I've seen him once. I dont know where he goes but he sure must have found a good hidey hole somewhere.

He doesnt seem to be eating much algae either. Mine's about 2 inches long.

smaug
03-13-2009, 10:41 PM
OK I just bought a clown pleco. I read up on them with this site, so a diet of prepared foods and fresh vegetables, and occasionally egg yolk for food? :)

And there is two nice hunks of driftwood for him to eat. He is about an inch and a half long.
I feed mine nothing special at all,he does have a huge amount of wood to gnaw on however.mine likes shrimp pellets and catfish discs as well.13474
Here is a pic of my little wood bugger.

Leopardgeckofan
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
I feed mine nothing special at all,he does have a huge amount of wood to gnaw on however.mine likes shrimp pellets and catfish discs as well.13474
Here is a pic of my little wood bugger.

Haha, nice pleco! thumbs2: I like mine so far. :) I am looking forward to see him swimming about tonight! Here's hoping he won't die right away. :P

Dixie
03-24-2009, 07:46 PM
By starting over exactly what do you mean? Since you said you're adding chemicals to remove ammonia and nitrite it sounds like you're cycling a tank? If so I would have waited until the tank was completely cycled to add any new fish and instead of adding chemicals I would have used filter media from the established filter that had the good bacteria on it to start the new tank.