PDA

View Full Version : How to find the "balance"

Kadina
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Most of the advice given in regards to planted tanks is: balance, balance balance.

How do I know what is not in balance? How do I know if I need to add light, CO2 or fertilizers? Now, before you point me there, I already read ILMGB's sticky (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=22361) on this subject. He mentions that algae blooms require either less nutrients or more CO2. That seems pretty straight forward, but what about a lack of light or nutrients? What are the symptoms of a plant lacking nutrients? I've seen reference to yellow leaves pointing to an iron deficiency, are there any other signs? What about nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium? Flourish makes those ferts so there must be a need for them somewhere, right? How do I know if I need them? Is there a different symptom in plants that need more or less light? How delicate is the balance? Can adding more fish throw it off due to increase in waste and eventually nitrates? What if some plants are thriving while others are dying? What about plants that don't die but don't grow either? How do I know what they are lacking?

I realize my questions probably do not have cut and dry answers, but these are the things I am thinking about. My new tank is almost done cycling and it is my first real effort at live plants. I want to do it right but I am not even sure what that is.

Gemini
03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Those are some great questions - I have read ILMGBs article too and I found it excellent and thought provoking. I know the article is a fairly basic one so I'm sure the plant experts may be able to explain it more.
I think there are things to look for - like if there is yellow leaves, or holes in the leaves it means one thing.