PDA

View Full Version : Foam!

LadyHatred
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I picked up two female bettas yesterday. While floating them i got to thinking "what would happen if the male saw em?" So I floated them in the betta's tank. Well! The females changed color! Not right away, after a half hour or so. I noticed black stripes on them and got kind of nervous so I set them free into the 25 community.

This morning, the male's tank has about half it's surface covered in foam! Is this the so-called bubble nest? He's never produced anything like this before. and when I go near him he seems to do everything in his power to get my attention to the other side of the tank; the side with no foam.

His water was changed day before yesterday and all perametres are in place. Could this be something that might have been on the bag? Although, there is no foam in my 25...:help:

Mvjnz
03-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a bubblenest to me:)

DragonWatch
03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
That sound about right LH. The nest sounds a bit spread out, but if you don't have floating plants and you have surface movement it could explain that.

LadyHatred
03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow cool!

I don't have floating plants. I do have minimal surface movement. The filter is a Tetra Whisper 2i something or other, a 25 watt heater and a tiny 7watt light. (had to frankenstien the tank hood..the light wasn't bright enough to penetrate through)

Did a quick search and breeding seems cut n dry. lol Never ever thought my ugly little betta would end up being a daddy! Think I'll give it a try next week or so. I read both male and female need to be in tip-top condition. So exciting!

Another plus: I have a "reasonable" excuse to buy another tank. For the babies, of course.. YAY :19:

DragonWatch
03-12-2009, 12:14 PM
My Betta's nests have always been much smaller, but then he's not had a female in his tank before :shappy:

Good luck! And tell us how it went, I'm looking out for females at the moment too.

sid101
03-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Yup that's a bubble nest! congratulations now you got love in the water! ^^

I recomend you but a lot of transparent cups as soon as the male bettas leave fry stage and beging to be juvenile they will start fighting. When juvenile the fights are not to death most of the time but things can go south pretty fast.

It's a boy! and a girl! and anothe boy! and 50 more!!! ^^

dmagerl
03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Take a couple soda straws and mash their ends together to form a triangle and float it in the tank. My Gourami builds his bubble nest in one and it keeps the bubbles nicely contained in one spot.

KcEE
03-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Love is in the air....

Haha...well, you have to properly introduce the two. Mating can get a bit rough as well...

sid101
03-28-2009, 01:34 AM
Remember. Add some wine to the water and lower the lights, put some barry white ^^.