PDA

View Full Version : African Butterfly Fish has died, Help

mdjw76
02-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi,

I introduced a ABF into my 70ltr tank this evening and within 1 hour it has died.

All the other fish are swimming around fine and I did my tests yesterday and all was ok.

I floated the bag for about 30 mins before releasing into the tank, the ABF seemed alright and swam around a bit.

After about 20 mins it starting to list to one side, then over onto its back and just "twitched" every so often.

I put it into a floating fish hatchery to monitor, but sadly, it rapidly died.

For what its worth (because there was no time for any interaction), its tankmates were:

2x Dwarf Gourami
3x Pagnasius Catfish
4x Glass Catfish

Can anyone shed light on what they think happened.

- The journey from my LFS to home was about 10 mins,
- All ABF looked healthy at the LFS, and I have bought from there before without any problems.
- Inreoduction into the tank took longer than i had hoped because I was scared of the thing leaping out but it didnt seem stressed.

Please help

Nautilus291
02-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Did you ever put water from your tank into the bag? If not it was probibly the difference in PH that killed him. When you take him back ask the store what there ph is.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Is it one of those brown floating things.

I had one, and he was my absolute favorite cricket eating fish.
I dont know why yours died. I had mine happily for 4 years until i sold him.
Im sorry to hear he died. Theyre awesome fish

sunfishman
09-29-2009, 11:40 PM
i got one about a year ago, in a 10 gallon with 2 dwarf silver catfish and a small pleco. the temperature and ph were equal to the abf's water and within 3 days, his skin started falling off and it died. no signs of an illness or anything, so does anyone know what happened?
also, i hear these things are related to arowanas. is this true?

Deleted User
09-29-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm not able to help with advice, but am sorry for your loss http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/sad.gif

Crispy
09-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Yes, they are related to arowanas. Probably the difference in ph that killed him I would guess. Drip acclimation is best when you don't know your LFS' params.

Wiggs
09-29-2009, 11:55 PM
It's been over two and a half years since this was asked :P

Crispy
09-29-2009, 11:56 PM
It's been over two and a half years since this was asked :P

lol, I didn't even notice. :hmm3grin2orange:

sunfishman
09-30-2009, 12:32 AM
i noticed, but there don't seem to be many threads for this fish. also, i checked the ph and temp. of the tank i bought it from, and double checked with the store owner. does anyone know why the skin came off?