PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Moss plants.

Pterophyllum
03-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Hi.

I was wondering, since I know that moss likes to be attached to rocks or drift wood.. or any special aquarium wood.

I want to get some drift wood for my tank, but... I have a big problem.. my pleco in my 29 gallon tanks chews on my plants, and I know that the pleco would probably be wanting to spend a LOT of time chewing on the wood if I ever put it in.

Although it could me a good sand paper :)

Can moss also survive on the ground? Most of the people I have talked to at the aquarium store in Greece here say that moss might not do well on the gravel, since they always tie their moss up on wood, or rock.

Please, please, please, please! help me :)

I would really appreciate it :)

Wild Turkey
03-12-2009, 02:47 AM
IME the common types of moss do fine, sometimes they will even form kind of "roots" after a while

what type of pleco is it?

Pterophyllum
03-12-2009, 03:17 AM
IME the common types of moss do fine, sometimes they will even form kind of "roots" after a while

what type of pleco is it?

I have the common pleco.

Although i doubt that they are getting more rare... since some people do say that they are getting more rare because some want their armored skins. Is that true?

Wild Turkey
03-12-2009, 03:38 AM
I have the common pleco.

Although i doubt that they are getting more rare... since some people do say that they are getting more rare because some want their armored skins. Is that true?

I cant offer any hints besides that they are still commonly sold to unknowing keepers for very cheap and at a very small size.

I assume you are planning on moving him into your larger tank later?

Pterophyllum
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I cant offer any hints besides that they are still commonly sold to unknowing keepers for very cheap and at a very small size.

I assume you are planning on moving him into your larger tank later?

Yes, right now he is only about 4-5" long.

I might be getting a Sail fin pleco soon. And possibly a vampire pleco, but they are outrageously expensive :(

At the big al's I went to once in Kitchener, Ontario it was $60 just for one.

thestudenttank
05-08-2009, 11:05 PM
I have found rather than letting it grow on the substrate take a piece of slate and break it down to the size you want then break the moss into strands and secure it using thread , or elastic bands. Give the moss a couple of weeks to attach itself then you can remove the bands. This method makes it really easy when it come to vacuum the tank at the water change. Slate works well as it is chemically inert. Heres some that i did earlier today. Providing you have good conditions (nutrients CO2 etc) its growth should exceed the rate at which it is eaten.