PDA

View Full Version : PH fun

jlennon
02-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Ok So I have been in here off and on in the past week or so asking questions about my new Oscar fish. Everybody has been a great help so thanx a bunch. I have spent the past two weeks trouble shooting trying to figure out what is wrong with my buddy. So at the beginning of this week I noticed I have Planaira. when I first noticed this I freaked out and I thought I was going to kill my new fish. After reading tons of stuff on Planaira I concluded that the external infection is a good thing. In a way. The pipes in my apt building have been worked on for the past week or so which has introduced a fluctuation in the chemicals going into my fishes tank. Not realizing the work being done I was changing the water 25% per day for the past week or just short of a week. So I have been treating the water and trying to est. a safe Ph for my Oscar.

I have noticed that she seems to be used to a low ph. I do know that cichlids are tolerant to the Ph levels but if an Oscar is raised in a low ph is that what I need to take into consideration? I had the Ph at 6.5 to 6.8 and she seemed very energetic and very interactive which I have not seen her do in almost two weeks unless she was trying to jump out. So over in the course of three hours I was able to get the ph up to 7.0 which I took this reading this morning so I gave it 12 hours to cycle and I did not exceed the recommended dose. Is there a recommended time frame of dosage of ph up? I broke the max dosage up into quarters in the course of 3 hours. So I guess I am asking for some input if you guys don't mind.

Sorry so long it is just that I am a little board at work and worried about my fish who is at home.Ok So I have been in here off and on in the past week or so asking questions about my new Oscar fish. Everybody has been a great help so thanx a bunch. I have spent the past two weeks trouble shooting trying to figure out what is wrong with my buddy. So at the beginning of this week I noticed I have Planaira. when I first noticed this I freaked out and I thought I was going to kill my new fish. After reading tons of stuff on Planaira I concluded that the external infection is a good thing. In a way. The pipes in my apt building have been worked on for the past week or so which has introduced a fluctuation in the chemicals going into my fishes tank. Not realizing the work being done I was changing the water 25% per day for the past week or just short of a week. So I have been treating the water and trying to est. a safe Ph for my Oscar.

I have noticed that she seems to be used to a low ph. I do know that cichlids are tolerant to the Ph levels but if an Oscar is raised in a low ph is that what I need to take into consideration? I had the Ph at 6.5 to 6.8 and she seemed very energetic and very interactive which I have not seen her do in almost two weeks unless she was trying to jump out. So over in the course of three hours I was able to get the ph up to 7.0 which I took this reading this morning so I gave it 12 hours to cycle and I did not exceed the recommended dose. Is there a recommended time frame of dosage of ph up? I broke the max dosage up into quarters in the course of 3 hours. So I guess I am asking for some input if you guys don't mind.

Sorry so long it is just that I am a little board at work and worried about my fish who is at home.

Sasquatch
02-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Generally a stable pH is better than something that is always fluctuating around and "ideal" pH. If your fish is happy at the pH it's at, leave it be.

If you do want to change the pH, the max is 0.5 units per day.

jlennon
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Thank you and sorry this post is totally in the wrong place.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 09:20 PM
lol, in the discus section.

Buy yeah, people have had tetras in hard water as long as its stable