PDA

View Full Version : caretaking help

rookie
03-11-2009, 10:23 PM
i have 2 bettas in like a 2 or 3 gallon tank with a divider. the tank does not have a filter or any heating sytem. however my girlfriend has been taking care of them since we got them but a few days ago we split up and she moved out and i have no idea how to care for these fish. i know how to feed them and thats about it but the water is just starting to get cloudy and i dont want to do anything to harm the fish wile i clean the tank. i was going to just take the fish out with water from the tank and i know i have to keep them apart. and then just dump all the water out and rinse the tank and substrate but is that good to change 100% of the water at once. if you have any info it would be greatly appriciated.

sid101
03-11-2009, 11:39 PM
I would go for a do-over take out the fish, save as much water as you can (grab a disposable cofee filter and filter about 50% of the water) throw the rest, rinse your substrate, put the tank together again, add the saved water and fill up the rest with new water, let it rest and build up throug the night and put the fish back in the next day.

This is a weird way of doing things but i can assure you it works.

Chicklet
03-12-2009, 12:05 AM
My beta's in smaller tanks get 50% water changes at least every other day,
Don't remove the fish just gently scoop out half the water, Mix and prepare the new water in a bucket add the water conditioner, make sure the temp is the same as the tanks water, Then slowly release the new water down into the old,

If you can, prepare the new water at least a few hours before you change his water.,

If the water is real dirty then gently scoop out the betta in a little cup, Clean the tank, removing all water then prepare his tank with new , making sure to add the conditioner and keeping the temp the the same as what he's use too, mine all stay at 80,

It's real simple, I have yet to have any troubles doing it this way, My betta's are always very happy afterwards

Mvjnz
03-12-2009, 03:43 AM
I'd do it the way chicklet describes. No need to move the fish and scrub the substrate, that will stress the fish and remove all the bacteria from the gravel/sand.

If the tank doesn't have a filter, it means the bacteria must grow in the substrate, so never clean it in tap water. If it needs a clean, either use a gravel vac or rinse it in a bucket of tank water.

Wild Turkey
03-12-2009, 03:51 AM
I'd do it the way chicklet describes. No need to move the fish and scrub the substrate, that will stress the fish and remove all the bacteria from the gravel/sand.

If the tank doesn't have a filter, it means the bacteria must grow in the substrate, so never clean it in tap water. If it needs a clean, either use a gravel vac or rinse it in a bucket of tank water.

I agree save as much gravel as you can, match the temps, and dechlor before anything. You are still probably going to have cycling problems but when you add a filter you can at least be sure you will establish one eventually. A sponge filter will do it for 2 bettas if it is a decent size.

What sexes are the bettas? I assume they are both male in which case a ten gallon with a divider or two 5 gallon tanks is probably the best.

Bettas like the temp up around 80 F so a heater is a must as well