PDA

View Full Version : Cycling with Ammonia

Chicklet
03-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Ok so I got another tank,
But I don't think I want to use Fish to cycle it.

So what type of Ammonia do I use?
House ammonia?

I have some lemon scented Ammonia but Being scented I know that's outta the question,,, But If I got it not scented would that be ok to use,
And exactly how much do I use and when?

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Pure ammonia. No scents, artifical colors and soaps.

Cameron
03-11-2009, 01:36 AM
it will depend on how big the tank is, but enough to get it to 4ppm of ammonia.

Chicklet
03-11-2009, 01:43 AM
It's another 20 gallon tank.

4 ppm, ok thats what I'll do,

and get the pure stuff with nothin added

Kewl beanies,
Thanks Lady Hobbs & Trigun10343

Wild Turkey
03-11-2009, 01:46 AM
this is your second tank? Take some media from the first tanks filter and add it the second tanks filter the same day you add fish. Done deal no cycling issues.

Chicklet
03-11-2009, 02:00 AM
this is your second tank? Take some media from the first tanks filter and add it the second tanks filter the same day you add fish. Done deal no cycling issues.

To be honest I'm really kinda nervous about doing that,
I don't want to mess up and accidentally ruin my already Cycled tanks...
was sooo much work with the water changes every single day for tooo long. I really don't want to have to do that again and then the worry about the fish dying because I screwed up..

Think I want to err on caution, I'm not in a hurry to get this tank stocked or anything.

Wild Turkey
03-11-2009, 02:05 AM
To be honest I'm really kinda nervous about doing that,
I don't want to mess up and accidentally ruin my already Cycled tanks...
was sooo much work with the water changes every single day for tooo long. I really don't want to have to do that again and then the worry about the fish dying because I screwed up..

Think I want to err on caution, I'm not in a hurry to get this tank stocked or anything.

If you decide not to thats fine, but it is a whole lot easier and of course, instant. Theres no way to really mess up the cycle in the first tank if you just take a tiny bit of the media out and put it back without doing anything else. You could also rub it against the new media if you dont want to cut any off.

Chicklet
03-11-2009, 02:25 AM
I might try the rub bit,
If I do that shouldn't I leave the new media in the cycled tank for a few days before putting it back in the new tank?

Wild Turkey
03-11-2009, 04:39 AM
I might try the rub bit,
If I do that shouldn't I leave the new media in the cycled tank for a few days before putting it back in the new tank?
You dont need to do anything special, except test the parameters at first to be sure it has worked. But if you want you can stuff a bit of the new media in the old tanks filter for a few weeks, and then add it to the new tanks filter. That will work as well. Fish the same day with that method too

bushwhacker
03-12-2009, 05:37 AM
you got 19 tanks? you got plenty of old media to spare .... instant cycle

Lady Hobbs
03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
I might try the rub bit,

If your filter is really good and grungy, you can get a fast cycle but if it's hardly dirty at all, it won't help you much. I also doubt rubbing it a bit on the new pad will help. Water needs to run thru the used filter pad to do anything much. You can transfer the mulm from your established tanks to the new tank by doing gravel vac's. If losing your cycle is of concern, just vac half the gravel in that tank and do the other half next week.

I'm with the previous poster here on where is all that used filter media from those 19 tanks? There must be some you can toss in the new tank?

Wild Turkey
03-12-2009, 06:24 AM
I'm with the previous poster here on where is all that used filter media from those 19 tanks? There must be some you can toss in the new tank?

If you have 19 tanks you should have no shortage of media or any problem instantly cycling the tank without risking the cycle in any other tanks.

Chicklet
03-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I have no "old" media yet,
when my tanks cycled alot cycled around the same time,...
So by old I would assume you all mean filter cartridges "inside" that I changed,
Well I've not changed any since they all cycled....

I really thought you didn't change the blue filter cartridges very often if ever?

Maybe I need to buy more of the blue filter cartridgesand stick extra ones in for future tanks.

The bigger tanks have Aqua-Tech brands &
My small filters are only sponge filters with the black strip behind the foam thingy.
I've never replaced any of those either.