PDA

View Full Version : Look What I've Got!!!!

Sharon
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
It's just an empty cage right now...but the two Budgies get delivered in the morning. Two hand reared females, from a friend who's bred them. She's talked me into taking two, no charge, as she wants to be rid of the babies. I intended to have just one, and I have my reservations with two, but she's said if I find two is too much for me, she'll take one back. I'm really excited!!!:19:
The cage is not exactly what I wanted, but I got a GREAT deal...and it's 30inches, so a pretty good size....

Demi ^_^
03-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I knew it wouldn't be too long Sharon!

Goodluck with them! Budgies are awsome!

Jellygirl
03-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Congratulations Sharon, I can't believe you've taken the plunge. I think you will like budgies. The are quite undemanding, but little and often and you should have yourself a bit of nice company. They are so lovely when you come down in the morning and they are full of whistling and little chirping sounds. when it gets late and you don't want to hear them, here in england we just put a darker cover over them and they sleep, as if it were night.

Can't wait to see the pictures - great choice. Small birds, small poop and as you say if you find two too much you can always take one back.

You will get a few feathers fly out of the cage from time to time and a few seed shucks from time to time, but nothing a quick hovering can't deal with.

Piccies piccies piccies soon please.:19: :19:

What colours are they and names, what names are you thinking of lol

Ellen4God
03-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Wooo!!! :19: :19: Congrats!! I can't wait to see pictures of your budgies!!!

You'll have 4 before you know it. :11:

Sharon
03-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys for not saying..."Have you no self control!!!" :hmm3grin2orange: I'm actually feeling a little better about the two. I've been reading, and although it is much more difficult to teach two to speak, they are happier in pairs. These two are siblings, and have grown up together so one would certainly miss his buddies. So, I'm thinking it's better to have two happy birds than one who speaks...

Pics as soon as they're ready!!!

Jellygirl
03-11-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm so pleased for you Sharon. Of all the birds they are just the best.thumbs2:

Ellen4God
03-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Thanks guys for not saying..."Have you no self control!!!" :hmm3grin2orange: I'm actually feeling a little better about the two. I've been reading, and although it is much more difficult to teach two to speak, they are happier in pairs. These two are siblings, and have grown up together so one would certainly miss his buddies. So, I'm thinking it's better to have two happy birds than one who speaks...

Pics as soon as they're ready!!!

When my friend got her one budgie this past Christmas, it didn't sing at all. It seemed very very lonely. So, she got another one for it, and what a difference! She now has 4, and they're all pretty vocal and active. I definitely agree that the little bird will be happier with a buddy. :11:

KrytterKrys
03-11-2009, 01:56 AM
Congrats on finally taking the plunge! lol but beware MBS is just as addicting as MTS!! :)

fishlover49
03-11-2009, 02:14 AM
That is great, Sharon! thumbs2: Can't wait to see the little buggers. thumbs2: Congrats on your new additions! :19: I really like the cage too! thumbs2:

fishlover49
03-11-2009, 02:15 AM
Congrats on finally taking the plunge! lol but beware MBS is just as addicting as MTS!! :)

:hmm3grin2orange: I was just thinking. I have an empty cage in the attic. :help:

Brookfish
03-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Congrats on the new Budgies Sharon, don't forget the pics now. thumbs2:

Mvjnz
03-11-2009, 05:02 AM
congrats:)

Slightly concerned about that cage tho, the space between the bars looks bigger than 1.5 cm to me, which makes it unsafe for budgies. They could get their head stuck (it's smaller than what it looks like).

Please measure it to make sure it's budgie safe...

Sharon
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
The bar spacing is 3/4 inch, and I was concerned at this too. The guy at the shop said he really doubted that it would be a problem. The cages here, with 1/2 inch spacing have a much shorter length, and I wanted at least 30inches long, to be fair to the birds. I called every shop, even those that were a four hour drive away, and there are no longer cages with 1/2 inch spacing. I'm hoping it won't be a problem...

Nancy...MBS??? OMG!!!
The woman that I'm getting the birds from is the manager at the pet dept at Wal Mart, and I've bought a lot of fish from her. She has an adopted Lovebird, as well, that I could have had. However the bird was given to her as it bites, and she hasn't been able to correct the problem. I was really tempted, as I though I may be able to "fix "it...my daughter's reply to that was...Mom, you know how you always say.."Marry a man that pleases you, because you can't "fix" them. I then decided to go with the budgies!

Mvjnz
03-11-2009, 08:20 AM
How strange, all the pet stores here have big cages and aviaries with 1.5 cm spacing...

Sharon
03-11-2009, 08:51 AM
I called four stores on the weekend at a larger center, which is a 4hour drive, for me. He told me that the larger cages that they sell are basically for larger parrots and have the wider spacing. I bought the cage at a newly opened store in my general area, and they were the same there. Do you think a problem is probable or just possible?

Sharon
03-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Well, I've been awake since 2:30am amd I got up at 3:45am. The birds arrived at 6:30am. They're both very pretty...about 11/2 to 2 years old. They're both looking pretty scared but they have an hour drive and a new larger cage. They're totally silent so far...I want to hear chirps soon!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
03-11-2009, 12:02 PM
Here they are...

mommy1
03-11-2009, 12:18 PM
cute birds. i have three myself. they are going to need sandpaper perches to keep their nails and beaks trimmed. i found some perches at my favorite pet store that are made out of a rough material (possibly concrete) that they can rub their beaks on and it just naturally keeps their nails trimmed. the best part is it doesnt wear out and i dont need to keep buying sandpaper covers anymore. i hope you love keeping them as much as i do.

fishlover49
03-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Awww, they are sweet!!! :1luvu:

Deleted User
03-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Very nice Birds Sharon. Great colours too. thumbs2:

Sharon
03-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Northernguy
03-11-2009, 03:10 PM
Congradulations Sharon!:22:
They are beautiful babies! I hope you enjoy your new friends!
Thats a great lookin cage as well!thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
03-11-2009, 03:13 PM
The birds are very, very cute!thumbs2:

maybe you could get some wire mesh to wrap the cage in or something similar to avoid head stuck incidents? I dont know much about birds so im not much help:hmm3grin2orange:

Red
03-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Nice looking birds sharon :)

Sharon
03-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks!:ssmile:

Jellygirl
03-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Aw they are little cuties, and such lovely colours too.

Here is a really good link.

http://www.birds-online.de/allgemein/arten_en.htm

Don't forget they like running water, warm sprays and shallow baths.

Sharon
03-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I didn't know about the running water until I Googled today...The birds chirped madly everytime I turned on the water in the kitchen. I was worrying that they couldn't find the water dish!!!(blush) One more pic and then I'll stop!!!

Jellygirl
03-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Hope you have had an enjoyable day with them. That is a really good link its got pictures of wet budgies lol

You know me Sharon, the more pictures the better.:ssmile:

KrytterKrys
03-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Such beautiful girls you have! :)

mommy1
03-12-2009, 03:22 AM
I didn't know about the running water until I Googled today...The birds chirped madly everytime I turned on the water in the kitchen. I was worrying that they couldn't find the water dish!!!(blush) One more pic and then I'll stop!!!
my birds like to hear pink floyd. sometimes when i play them, the birds sing so much i cant hear the tunes. :hmm3grin2orange:

fishlover49
03-14-2009, 04:27 PM
How are the little cuties doing, Sharon?

Sharon
03-14-2009, 06:17 PM
They seem to be doing OK, although not really comfortable with us yet. They haven't eaten yet, but according to what I've read, that is normal. I spent part of the morning changing some of the plastic perches, which didn't look very comfortable, to natural branches from the greenbelt out back. I am enjoying them, and suprisingly, so is Hubby. I think he spends more time talking to them than I do. I casually mentioned that I wanted some branches cut, and off he went!

Sharon
03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
They've eaten !!!:19: :19: :19: Thank Goodness...I was getting worried!:19:

Rue
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I missed this thread! I was about to PM you and ask if a bird was happening!

LOL! Congrats!

One Sandyperch (Brand-name) by their food bowl would be good idea to keep nails and beaks trimmed as mentioned. There's another similar, less expensive, almost as good brand in PetSmart.

Avoid the concrete perches...too rough...

fishlover49
03-14-2009, 11:04 PM
They are feeling right at home!!! thumbs2: thumbs2:

Sharon
03-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Goodness Rue, I thought it was odd you didn't comment on the girls. I was thinking you thought it was the wrong choice for me...:hmm3grin2orange:

I actually bought Gravel Paper and thought I'd fasten it to one of the branches, but read that Gravel paper is not a good idea. Rue, do you think that the gravel paper is not the same as a gravel perch??? I won't be able to get a gravel perch until Easter...there is NOTHING pet related in this town anymore!!! Geez!!!
The cage has the food bowls on the bottom fitted in slots. There is a shield around the bottom of the cage( maybe six inches up) to prevent mess. This means the perch can't be directly over the food. I'm assuming they won't mind standing on the wire grate at the bottom to eat??? They ate Millet that I have tied to one of the perches...

Ken seems quite taken with the girls. He's going to make an indoor aviary for them, when the weather warms, so I don't have to let them go free, and they'll still get exercise. I think if I wanted another bird, he'd actually say, "Lets go"....No, I'm not thinking of another. I've just cleaned up the mess they made with the millet. I'll just see how this goes.:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Use up the gravel paper, but don't buy more...not a good product (out-dated) and a waste of money.

The good thing about bird supplies is that you can order on-line - even though I personally feel that the shipping fees are a rip-off - even if it's necessary. The stuff is never cheaper than in the store...and then the shipping always ends up being more than taxes...*argh* (rant over now :hmm3grin2orange: )

I prefer to see what I buy - but since I have limited choice here, I order certain supplies from a Calgary bird store (Parrotdise Perch). They've been very good. There are other good Canadian bird stores out East too - but I haven't used them personally.

Which pellet brand do you have them on?

Sharon
03-14-2009, 11:53 PM
I've purchased what they're accustomed to for now...
Hartz Original Recipe Parakeet Food mixed with
Hartz Small Bird Universal Diet
Millet for a weekly treat
A mix of fruits and veggies, which I will introduce slowly, as they're not accustomed to those...I don't want to give them diahrrea!

Rue
03-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Are those both seed mixes?

I'd suggest a pellet - plus seed mix...plus the fresh foods. That way all their nutritional needs should be met - and they'll have that variety in their diet that I think is so important for a birds mental health (in the wild birds spend most of their waking hours foraging, we need to recreate some of that 'need' for them)...

Sharon
03-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Will do!thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Thats great Sharon!
Its wonderful to hear that you and your hubby are enjoying them so much!:19:
See they aren't that messy!:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
03-15-2009, 11:13 AM
No, I've only cleaned poop off the wall next to the tank, twice. :hmm3grin2orange: The wall is 2 feet from the tank, so that was surprising!!!

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 06:07 PM
No, I've only cleaned poop off the wall next to the tank, twice. :hmm3grin2orange: The wall is 2 feet from the tank, so that was surprising!!!
Thet must be working on their "Poop and Flap" technique.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Ah yes...the poop and flap technique:ssuprised: .... I haven't come across that in my research!!!

sandy_n
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Congratulations. They are both very pretty. I hope you get years of enjoyment.
The natural branches are a great idea (as long as they haven't been sprayed with any chemicals). The different diameters help to work the muscles of their feet and prevent fatigue from standing on only one size perch all the time. My lovebird used to strip the bark off the branches too!
LOL, I don't care what size bird you have...they do love their millet??!!

Sharon
03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
And they DO make a fine mess with it!!!:hmm3grin2orange: I'm glad it's not part of the daily diet....

Northernguy
03-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Its not so bad if its low in the cage! I find what makes the biggest mess is when they flap their wings!Its all part of the fun I guess!

Sharon
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
My two have a "flapping session" every evening, as the sun is starting to set. It's fun to watch because it seems like they're having a lot of fun. Abby hovers in mid air, for about 10sec. at a time. Sadi just flies from perch to perch. I generally clean up the floor after this. They're getting used to the sound of the vac...:hmm3grin2orange:

I wrapped gravel paper around a branch today, to give them a rough perch. I'll get a sand perch when I can get out of town, again. They appear to be eating the grit...Is that OK?

Rue
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
They have names? Did I miss that?

Abby and Sadi! Cute.

One of my 'tiels was called Abi...

Be a bit careful with grit...a little won't hurt, but they don't need it...budgies hull their seeds.

Try giving them a shallow bowl of water to bathe in...other budgies prefer to bath in wet leaves (lettuce, parsely, etc.)...

Sharon
03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I tried misting them...they hated that! I can't wait for bath time...all that water splashing all over the floor and walls. Sounds like fun!!!:scry:

Rue
03-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Mine all like being misted...I'm the one that hates misting! As careful as I am I get water everywhere. I think it would be less messy in a bowl.

I've also tried the shower. I have a shower perch. Too bad none of the birds like the shower...

Sharon
03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Rue, I do like my birds, but I don't want to shower with them...:hmm3grin2orange: I'll offer them a bath later this week...I've read that not all budgies like to get wet.

Jellygirl
03-16-2009, 12:18 AM
What are you guys like lol.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon I am so pleased that you are enjoying the birds, and that the mess has not been an issue/or surprise. If the birds don't like the mist, they may appreciate being held in the palm of your hand and then let a very weak trickle (drips) of water run onto the palm - this could give them the confidence to have a little flap and stand under the drips. Mine preferred this to the mist.

Sharon
03-16-2009, 12:58 AM
Now that sounds like it would be pleasant for me and the bird....when they're tamed, of course, which may take awhile!!!

Mvjnz
03-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Are they used to eating veggies where they are from? I find that even birds from professional breeders are given nothing but seeds a lot of the time, but if they are young or used to investigating their environment introducing them to veggies isn't a big prob.

I had two aviary raised birds, and they wouldn't play with any toys nor try any interesting food. Then one of them died and I got a cage raised as company for the remaining one, and she constantly plays with toys and had to check out all the veggies, and then the other one starting copying her, and now they both love their veggies:)

Sharon
03-16-2009, 10:38 AM
They've not been offered fruits or veggies. I have carrot and dried cranberry in the cage now, but they're not interested yet...They're still a bit nervous eating, so I'm not really expecting anything yet. I plan to go slow with the fruits and veggies, so as not to cause digestive problems...

fishlover49
03-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Thet must be working on their "Poop and Flap" technique.:hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
03-16-2009, 03:13 PM
...yes...be patient introducing new foods. It took years of regularily offering brocolli to the 'tiels before they finally started eating it...

One thing you can do - in lieu of having a bird model like Mvjnz did - is model yourself (can be very effective - that's how I finally did get the 'tiels to try the brocolli).

Take the food item, examine it in front of the birds, 'oh and ah' about it, taste it, say how 'yummy' it is, eat it, go into paroxyms of delight!

It may also help to model with a partner - I'm sure hubby will be willing.

Make sure you are alone in the house and no one is secretly taping the session before you start...:hmm3grin2orange:

ps. None of mine are fond of dried fruits...I wonder how much $$$ worth has ended up on the floor over the years...

Sharon
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
That will be nothing strange here...We used to "pretend eat" dog food, as ome of ours was very picky, and didn't want to eat dry food. It worked too!

Thanks!!!

fishlover49
03-16-2009, 04:35 PM
That will be nothing strange here...We used to "pretend eat" dog food, as ome of ours was very picky, and didn't want to eat dry food. It worked too!

Thanks!!!

LOL! Our dog is that way and we do the same thing. If he thinks we are really enjoying eating it, then he is all for it. :hmm3grin2orange: thumbs2: