PDA

View Full Version : What lighting for corkscrew vals?

Sir Tristen
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I just bought some corkscrew vals from the local petsmart, thinking that they were low light plants, or at least undemanding. After reading a bit though, I find that they are medium light plants. Is this true? Will they survive in my 10 gallon w/ a 15 watt bulb? Also, I'm just using silica sand. Is that going to be a problem?

I don't want them to go crazy, just survive. I'm probably going to get medium light for my coming 35 gallon and may shift them over. I don't know how long that will be though. (Hopefully not too long.)

lovleeko
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I just bought some corkscrew vals from the local petsmart, thinking that they were low light plants, or at least undemanding. After reading a bit though, I find that they are medium light plants. Is this true? Will they survive in my 10 gallon w/ a 15 watt bulb? Also, I'm just using silica sand. Is that going to be a problem?

I don't want them to go crazy, just survive. I'm probably going to get medium light for my coming 35 gallon and may shift them over. I don't know how long that will be though. (Hopefully not too long.)

Not sure about the light. The sand is okay though. I have sand in my planted tanks. I put down root tabs. Just don't leave any dead leaves rotting in the sand or anything.

korith
03-10-2009, 10:47 PM

Never had any corksccrew vals myself, so not really sure how much light their growth excels at. They just won't grow as quickly or as well, with less light optimal. Unless the light is really low, then that might be an issue.

edit: just had a thought if you think it's not getting enough light, just leave the lights on longer.

Wild Turkey
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
If your light isnt up to snuff there isnt much you can do but upgrade, but all the types of vals im familiar with are not at all demanding and i assumed corkscrew followed suite.

Sir Tristen
03-10-2009, 11:35 PM
I had heard that they were undemanding. I guess I may just have to wait and see. When I set up my 35, I'll probably add a 3' shop light to the 30 watt t8 I already have. That'll put me just under 2 watts a gallon (I think. How many watts does a 3' shop light put out?)