PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Keep Red Piranhas

kaimarkhirst
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi all,

Ive got a 150 Gallon Tank consisting of the following inventory of fish, and am looking to keep a Pair of Red Piranhas.

2 X Butterfly Fish
6 X Clown Loaches
3 X Golden Gauramis
3 X Silver Sharks
3 X Dwarf Gauramis
5 X Silver Dollars
1 X Plec
1 X Siamese Fighting Fish (Will be getting 3 females)

Ive been reading up on Reds, and from what ive come accross, they are territorial, placid (For its reputation) and like hiding and lots of cover, adn a large tank. Got this covered, but am concerned about the addition of this fish to the community. I really only want a pair as I feel that any more of a shoal will be too large, and the rest fo teh community put at risk, but am open to suggestions.

My question is, what is the nature of this fish in a community tank and what information would I be best looking at in retrospect of keeing these fine fish.

Thanks

Kai

Lady Hobbs
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM
You won't have anything on that list if you get a Piranha.

kaimarkhirst
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Cheers for that!!!!

AABatteries
03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Cheers for that!!!!

You want all your fish to be eaten? How cruel can you be?

cocoa_pleco
03-10-2009, 10:45 PM
You want all your fish to be eaten? How cruel can you be?

i think he means cheers for the answer

but yeah, no for piranhas in that tank. piranhas arent as vicious as most people make them out to be, but nature would take its course in your tank

toddnbecka
03-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Piranha aren't community fish, they're community fish eaters. They are, however, schooling fish, and keeping 2 isn't a good idea.

sid101
03-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Always remember your fish will always do what nature intended them to do, they dont learn tricks nor get civilized, they are still wild animals and will eat everything they can fit into their mouths.

rageybug
03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I can tell you from first hand experience, anything that goes into a tank, no matter how big it is, will be turned into piranha poop.

I had a 13" red bellied in a tank by itself. Long story short, a friend was house sitting, a tank got smashed and he needed a place to put my 8" ghost clown knifefish. The piranha had already been fed that day but the knife only lasted al of three minutes.

Plecos, catfish or any other type of "cleaner" is fair game too.

Expect a huge bio load on your tank from all the waste and plan to do water changes 1-2 times a week, minimum.

You will have a very difficult time feeding the fish anything but live food so be prepared for the expense associated with that. I used to buyminnows from a local bait shop as it was cheaper than feeders from the LFS.

That 150g is a perfect size for a piranha tank, just don't get too many. They will get to be a foot long so I'd say 3-4 max. Many people will buy baby red-bellied pirahna by the dozen because they are cheap and a school of piranha is something amazing to watch. Just remember, they will get big!

sid101
03-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Well if you really want to have the pirahnas then do it,fish eating fish is the most natural thing and i dont think presenting your new pirahnas with a banquet is suck a bad idea (either way hes gonna have to feed them live pray so be it) just prepare for the show. It may be cruel but watching piranhas eat its a pretty amazing thing i found some time ago a couple of videos in youtube of this, the videos are really gruesome but well nature is gruesome sometimes, i plan to have a lion fish, altho less bloody it also feeds live pray so...

Im not cruel, i love fish and have kept fish all my life i just dont think it is cruel to feed live stuff to an animal thats suposed to do so.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2009, 02:05 AM
We at AC are not advocates of cruelty nor do we show it here on the forum. Therefore, those video's have been removed.

And sticking a Piranha in a tank where other peaceful fish can not escape and left to the mercury of being shredded is really quite sickening and as a person who cares for her fish, find this disgusting.

The fish are not "supposed" to be piranha food.

sid101
03-11-2009, 02:24 AM
I really dont want to antagonize the moderators nor the filosophy of this forum so i apologize, i tdidnt think it wouldnt cause such a response.

I want to say again that i love fish and i dont liek cruelty against any animals. i just find it natural to give live pray to a fish thats eats live creatures in nature.

Northernguy
03-11-2009, 02:02 PM
The healthiest pirahnas I have ever seen never ate live at all.They grew up on pellets!Get another tank!IMO

sid101
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
The healthiest i have seen (weren't mine neither i decided their diet nor fed them) were fed with pellets every day, liver every 2 days and live food once a month.

There are no guidelines for feeding your fish, i just consider it's better to give them conditions that are as close to nature as possible. Those pellets also contained meat, probably insect meat, the insects (probably crickets every factory has it's own recipe) get thrown in a machine that crushes them while still alive, there is no escaping the fact that almost all fish have some meat in their diet.

I just want to be clear that no matter how much you are against animal killings, mistreat or cruelty if you dedicate to fishkeeping or aquaria (not the same thing) you are going to in some way be responsable for some minor creature deaths (insects, shrimps, cow, chicken, sardines, tuna, crabs, zooplankton and some more).

I am really not pushing anything on to anyone but i dont like to lie to myself about the facts of life neither i like when other people do it. I have been a member and supporter of greenpeace for over 13 years so dont take me for someone i am not.

The fact that you only see a steak doesnt mean a cow didnt die for it.

Northernguy
03-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I havent got a problem with it and I love a good juicy T-bone too!
Feeders just don't give the fish what the pellets do.There is not a high nutritional value in them.Thats all I was trying to say.

Lady Hobbs
03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
In the wild there are millions of fish and what the pirahnas kill makes for a balanced system. Many are able to escape the kill to go on to reproduce and do their own killing. Balance. Mice are not part of a fishes diet and to toss them in a tank simply to record a video and put that video on the web so others can enjoy the gore of the kill is what bothers me.

This has nothing to do with the balancing of nature but the enjoyment of watching a kill. I eat beef but I don't care to see a video posted here of a beef being slaughtered and his throat cut and watching him hung to bleed out.

sid101
03-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I wouldnt throw a mouse full of pirahnas for the fun of it, and certainly live food may not have an advantage over procesed food, im not defending those who made the videos.

I think this is nto a big deal for me because one of the main reasons i became and aquarist and didnt stay as a fishkeeper is because i love to see the fish behaviour, others do too and so they put their fish in a position to show those behaviours, piranhas are not really too much to look at but their behaviour is impressive.

I think the real problem was the blood of the video it was pretty nasty and i actually felt bad for the mouse but we give an assortment of live fish to lionfish, we give brine shrimp to fry, blood worms and so on so on.

Yes the video was cruel and nasty, very gruessome and should not be in youtube i agree with that.

I consider this thread closed and i will not add any more posts to it.

By the Way lady Hobbs this is a great forum!!!.

toddnbecka
03-11-2009, 11:49 PM
It's actually a bad idea to feed any fish liver or other types of meat because the fat content has a different composition than their natural diet. Goldfish are almost as bad; although they do contain the proper type of fat, they're loaded with it.

94 sentra_xe
03-26-2009, 03:43 PM
NOTHING that breathes can go with RBP's will last a week or two but the second you forget to feed them, boom empty tank

ZCciVic22
03-27-2009, 12:39 AM
NOTHING that breathes can go with RBP's will last a week or two but the second you forget to feed them, boom empty tank

This isn't entirely true. We've had 4 RBP for 3 years now. They have grown up with 2 Raphael Catfish their entire lives, and have never taken a bite. When we first got them and for about the first year, their diet consisted solely of feeder goldfish and fathead minnows. We weened them off, and now they only eat pellet food.

I'm not saying that there is a 100% chance of nothing happening, but thus far they've been fine. I put my arm in the tank once a week to clean even.

They've gotten a bad rap from movies and the like. While they can and are dangerous fish, they are pretty skittish. They are tetra, and just like our neons, run away when an arm is in the tank. Actually, I wouldn't be lying if I said our neons are actually less scared.

Back to the point of the thread though, if a tank is already filled with fish that you've previously chosen, I don't feel it's right to give them up as food as soon as another fish catches your eye. Either try to sell or give them away to an appropriate home, or enjoy what you have while you have it, and give the RBP a try later on.

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 12:59 AM
My brother had a huge blue crayfish that got huge living in a tank with two RBPs! They did get him one day but it took several years.
I think the crayfish was getting old and very slow.:11:

ZCciVic22
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
LOL I've never had luck with crayfish.... They've only lasted a coupla hours

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 01:14 AM
LOL I've never had luck with crayfish.... They've only lasted a coupla hours
LOL I all mine have only ever lasted a short time too!
It must have been the Oscars!:hmm3grin2orange:

cocoa_pleco
03-27-2009, 04:07 AM
lol, i had a electric blue cray quite a few years ago in a 10g. decided to put him in my 33g community. never saw him and i figured he was dead

literally over a year later, i look at the tank in the middle of the night and he pops out and went after my corys. he had a crazy tunnel system in the substrate and was living in there

Lindsey
03-27-2009, 04:43 AM
They've gotten a bad rap from movies and the like. While they can and are dangerous fish, they are pretty skittish. They are tetra, and just like our neons, run away when an arm is in the tank. Actually, I wouldn't be lying if I said our neons are actually less scared.

Awesome that your piranha behave, but wait: RBP are tetras?

cocoa_pleco
03-27-2009, 05:03 AM
RBP= red belly piranha

Lindsey
03-27-2009, 05:16 AM
I knew that, but the person I quoted said that piranha/pacu were tetras?!

Northernguy
03-27-2009, 12:16 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/predatory/pirhana.php

Cocoa the crayfish are great hunters.I used to watch that crayfish fight with the pirahnas.It yused to grab them on each side as they were coming in for a bite and hold them until it pulled back and broke free from the crayfish.It was really cool to watch.The crayfish got to be at least 6" long.

94 sentra_xe
05-09-2009, 05:05 AM
welp my piranhas just finished off a 7'' jack dempsey cause i didnt feed them all week lol once i get my camera fixed ill take more pictures of my 125 with my piranhas and post them up

ljarpin
08-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I haven't been able to put any other fish in the tank with my Red Bellies.