PDA

View Full Version : Ryukin bonding

Petloon
03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello!
I'm new and I'm looking for a little guidence on intergrating a new fish to my established tank.
I unfortuneatly lost one of my ryukins last year and by the time I was satisfied the water was clear of potential infection there were no ryukins to be had. Therefore Murky has been king of his domain for around six months now.
The good news is my local aquatic shop is now restocked with ryukins, all quarentined and healthy, and I am off this weekend to find a sutible friend.
The question is, how well do ryukins take to each other? I know about rearranging the tank and feeding Murk before introducing the newbie but how likely is agression? Murk was very happy to share previously.
Also, since Viv died I keep my tank at 1% salt concentration, which seems to keep Murk very healthy but the aquatic shop doesn't use salt to my knowledge. Is it safe to move a fish in to a salted tank when they're not used to it?
Any advice will be much appreciated!

labnjab
03-10-2009, 09:36 PM
There is a big debate about salt, but in general it shouldn't be used in freshwater unless treating ich. It can actually cause some stress and iritation. We don't have ryukins but we do have 5 fancies in a 75 gallon. When we added the 5th there was some aggression from our shubukin, mainly just chasing and pushing around with no fin nipping, and we basically rearranged the tank and fed them and it subsided after 24 hrs and they get along great now. I would add the 2nd ind see what happens. Usually goldfish are docile and don't harm each other.

I would stop using salt and after a few water changes it should be gone, and when you add the new one, it would need to be drip acclimated to get it use to the salt content

How large is the tank and what are you using for filtration?

Mvjnz
03-11-2009, 03:37 AM
I find that goldfish prefer company over being alone, so I'd just add the new fish without rearranging anything and watch the one you already have follow the new one around, thrilled to finally have company:) At least that's what happened when I gave my lone goldfish a friend, and when I added another one they instantly formed a group and swam everywhere together, like they didn't wanna be alone.

labnjab
03-11-2009, 04:05 AM
I find that goldfish prefer company over being alone, so I'd just add the new fish without rearranging anything and watch the one you already have follow the new one around, thrilled to finally have company:) At least that's what happened when I gave my lone goldfish a friend, and when I added another one they instantly formed a group and swam everywhere together, like they didn't wanna be alone.

There sure do like to school and play together, lol We upgraded ours to a 75 gallon and they stick very close together and play all the time, almost like a giant school of neons

Fishguy2727
03-11-2009, 04:34 AM
I have never seen any signs of aggression introducing new goldfish to other goldfish.

Salt is not needed at all and can cause problems long term.

If you have not already I suggest reading the sticky articles on goldfish in the goldfish section. One of them addresses the myth of the need for salt with goldfish.

Petloon
03-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, thanks for all your responses! I'm pleased to hear it seems to be low risk for agression, I can look forward to getting him a buddy soon.

I will bare in mind about the salt, it was recommended to destress Murk after Viv died (it was so sad, he wouldn't feed from my fingers for over a week!) but he's been in fine health for months. May I ask, what is drip acclimated? Is this where you add small amounts of tank water to the fish in the bag before setting him free? If so, how long should this be done over?

My tank may be edging on the small side for two ryukins I admit, being just 110 litres, but the water quality has always been spot on, even when Viv and Murk were sharing. I just totally agree with what was said about fish prefering company. Poor Murk looks so lonely in there it's heartbreaking! I intend to get a bigger tank for my ryukins when I move home and maybe set up a tropical in my current tank...

evesta
03-11-2009, 11:19 PM
When I added my ruykin, I had a much smaller fantail and pearlscale already in there. They got along no problem, even though Suzie, my ruykin, is much larger. She is a little faster about getting food but everyone gets their share. I love ruykins, she has a lot of personality and is the first begging at the top at meal times. :1luvu: I have since added some ranchu too and still no problems. My experience is that goldfish just like other goldfish, whatever the kind. They definately need friends to be happy:l19:

Petloon
03-13-2009, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=evesta] I love ruykins, she has a lot of personality and is the first begging at the top at meal times. :QUOTE]

Tell me about it! I had in mind to get black moors or pearlscales when I set up my tank but just fell in love with ryukins! Everyone is surprised by how much personality he has, even my flatmate has taken to talking to him when she thinks I'm not listening!