PDA

View Full Version : Help

jlennon
03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Hello everyone hope all is well. I have not been to active in this forum in a while but that does not mean I don't check it out often. My tanks have been running pretty well for the past couple months. But right now I need help with my common pleco. he has been through it all with me. From living with an oscar to puting up with jack dempseys, and the nipping of tetras.
I noticed last week he had some slim looking stuff on him so I did a water change and put some meds in the water. It seemed to clear up and three days go by and he still had a little batch so I did another water change with meds. About 24hr later he is covered with patches of film or like fuzzy mold and his fins are real britle. Sorry I can't get pictures to you right now but maybe tomorow. He is in a med tank now and looking pretty beat up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anomaly
03-10-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm sure someone will come along with more knowledge than myself, but it sounds like fungus. I would keep his water quality in tip-top condition and treat with melafix.

jlennon
03-10-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm sure someone will come along with more knowledge than myself, but it sounds like fungus. I would keep his water quality in tip-top condition and treat with melafix.

Thank you. As of right now he is in a 10 gallon, temp 82, melfix, and some ick cure. Do you think salt will help me any? I was thinking of adding that in the next water change.

Anomaly
03-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Personally, I probably wouldn't use salt with a pleco, but I know there are differing opinions regarding that. If I were to use salt, I wouldn't just dump a full dose in all at one time . . . it would be a slow acclimation to a half dose. Hope he starts doing better.

jlennon
03-10-2009, 01:30 PM
I think I lost the guy this morning. He did not look well at all this morning at 6am when I was going to work. I had this guy for three to four years and he was awesome. I am just shocked how sick he got in such a short amount of time. On the plus side I have a new med tank set up just in case the fish in the tank he was in happen to get whatever he may have had. Thanx for your help.

bluebluecow
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
sorry to hear that you may have lost him, I love my common plec even though he was a mistake buy

liz

Anomaly
03-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hear that.