PDA

View Full Version : new 30g

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 05:27 AM
and I might be getting a 30g this weekend with a filter already thts for 20 gallon aquariums
I knw I will have to get another heater around 100watts for it but can I keep running a 20 gallon filter on a 30 gallon aquarium or I will have to buy a better filterr?
the old owner of the 30 g uses only tht 20 gallon filter on it and an air pump connected to an air stone THTS IT
he has like 40 fish in it
gold fish, neons, black tetras, guppies, platys, some others tht I dnt knw
and he said he does water changes like once every 3 to 4 months.... I was like WHATTT???
he said he only adds water when the water level starts going down but he rarely vacumms hes gravel or do water changes

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 05:34 AM
you can use a 20 filter on a 30 if its VERY lightly stocked

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 05:39 AM
yea thts what I had in mind but he had like 40 fish in it thts why I m asking
it makes no sense if he did water changes frequently I think it would be fine but he said he doesnt and his water was all crystal clear and the fish were all fine
hes transfering everything to a 55 gallon this weekend, he will be using my 100 gallon filter on his 55 gallon aquarium
and I was thinking if I do get his 30 if it would be fine with only the 20g filter as he does I think I will give it a try if it works it works if not I will just buy a better filter
i just think its crazy how hes aquarium is fulll of fish and he only runs tht filter and everything is clean with no water changes

Incredulous_Ed
02-16-2007, 05:47 AM
That is really weird. Someone on here mentioned that their dad never changed the water in his 55g ever and the angels in still bred like crazy. You will have to get a new filter unless you want only a few small fish

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 05:59 AM
yea I was just wondering how he does it cause hes tank has like 40 fish in it and everything seems fine

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 06:10 AM
That is really weird. Someone on here mentioned that their dad never changed the water in his 55g ever and the angels in still bred like crazy. You will have to get a new filter unless you want only a few small fish

I read that too. WOW, thats amazing. You have to do water changes though. Nature doesnt have crap sitting in one spot rotting for weeks

Severus
02-16-2007, 01:34 PM
It could be possible, with either some very tough fish or he has a lot of luck. Personally i would do the water changes and possibly go with more filtration. Its always better to overfilter than underfilter

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 04:15 PM
ok I m getting it today YEYYYY I m exited LOL
but i have a question how should I prooced?
I was thinking about doing a fishless cycle then after its done transfer the fish
but I was also thinking now it would be easyer if I could put all the water from my ten gallon thts already cycled in the 30g tank and then add 5gallons everyother day so the fish wont go trough a big change on the water parameters
what u guys think?

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I don't understand how some fish can survive under conditions like that. I have a friend that has much of the same opinion, if the fish aren't sick and the water is clear, don't change water or do anything. Mind you, she's never read ANYTHING about fish care, just assumes water+fish=aquarium...

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 04:24 PM
ok I cnt stop thinking about it LOL
I was preparing breakfeast now and I realized I cant do it like tht becuase the filter hose wont reach the water all the way down I need the tank to be full

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
I don't understand how some fish can survive under conditions like that. I have a friend that has much of the same opinion, if the fish aren't sick and the water is clear, don't change water or do anything. Mind you, she's never read ANYTHING about fish care, just assumes water+fish=aquarium...

LOL THT WAS ME 4 MONTHS AGO (POOR FISHY) LOL

and the water thing its not my aquarium tht I want to change the water
I am getting an empty 30 gallon and I want to tranfer my fish to it

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, I think everyone is like that at first, which is a shame. Ppl put more thought into what clothes to put on than they do about how to take care of a living creature. It's a shame really.

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 11:29 PM
good news GOT MY TANK NOW!!!
and its not a 30g ITS A 40G LOLL
I want to start setting it up now but I am concerned with the weight
it would round up to around 380 pounds and I dnt knw if my dresser can hold it
it seems pretty solid and I have my 10g there and I got on top of it as a test LOL it seemed fine with ME and the 10 gallon on it