PDA

View Full Version : 0 ites...0 ates...0 amonia????

MisterP
03-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Just added old media from my 10gl, (which all stats were good), to my 55gl filter about 8 hours ago. Not getting any readings yet as far as nitrates go. Added just a couple fish when getting started. Am I not being patient enough?

Algenco
03-09-2009, 11:55 PM
no, it will take awhile for ammonia to show up using fish, check tomorrow

MisterP
03-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Should I add more fish from the 10gl? I only added two because I never cycled with an used media filter.

Lady Hobbs
03-10-2009, 12:03 AM
Why do you think you should see nitrates when that's what's at the end of your cycle, not the beginning.

You added the media from your 10 gallon to your larger tank and should be able to add all the fish you had in the 10 gallon. You have a lot more water volume now. You may not have to cycle at all if you have lots of bacteria in the filter already.

Wait for a week and add just a few more fish about every 10 days until you tank is stocked as you want it.

MisterP
03-12-2009, 01:18 AM
Sorry just wasnt sure what to expect with trying an instant cycle like that. Most of the research i have done said, " use old media and presto! instant cycle" :hmm3grin2orange: But the fish are having a great time in the new tank and all readings still at zero so ill keep you all posted. Thanks again for the help!thumbs2:

Wild Turkey
03-12-2009, 01:27 AM
Test all your parameters over the next few days or week. I would base any decision i make on those parameters and nothing else. (as far as adding new fish, doing waterchanges, etc)

Not seeing any ammonia or nitrate (either can happen with this method) the first day is typical and nothing to worry about. Most people will see some ammonia and or nitrite readings because the bacteria is catching up the to bioload slightly, but its not extremely uncommon to never see any ammonia or nitrite. Especially if you are moving a large amount of media over for a not so large bio load.

MisterP
03-13-2009, 03:20 AM
Thanks Wild Turkey. Yeah just got home and tested the parameters and everything is good. Seeing .25 on the ammonia tonight. Another thing that concerns me is the ph at 8.0. Should i be worried? Its been that way and I did some research it doesnt seem all that bad. My tap water is 7.4 so im lost. :confused: Thanks again for any and all help.

Wild Turkey
03-13-2009, 03:27 AM
Thanks Wild Turkey. Yeah just got home and tested the parameters and everything is good. Seeing .25 on the ammonia tonight. Another thing that concerns me is the ph at 8.0. Should i be worried? Its been that way and I did some research it doesnt seem all that bad. My tap water is 7.4 so im lost. :confused: Thanks again for any and all help.

Waterchange if the ammonia or nitrite get above around 1.0ppm

the ph being stable is most important. Its possible that your dechlor is changing the ph of your tap, or something in the tank is changing the ph in there. Its not a very large difference in either case, but with a little investigating you could figure it out, letting the tap water sit out for 24 hours and then testing it may also lend a hint.

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
What kind of gravel are you using? Your pH should not be going up unless there's something in your tank making it go up. Coral stones in your gravel, shells, etc.

MisterP
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Did the ph test on my tap water and let it sit out overnight. Tested it and now its at 8.0 as well. Not sure what to do about that. Didnt add anything to it and made sure i rinsed the glass well before i let the water sit. Funny thing is i tested my 10gl too and its at 8.0. :help:

I actually have play sand at the bottom of both tanks and it took me hours to clean it before i put it in. The 10gl just has fake decorations and a one live plant and the 55gl has 2 big pieces of driftwood and 3 big pieces of slate, no plants.

Wild Turkey
03-14-2009, 01:52 AM
So wait, ur tanks and tap are both 8.0?

terrapin24h
03-14-2009, 03:03 AM
as i read it, aged tap water, and both your tanks are at 8.0 So what kind of water do you have; well, spring or public utility? First the good news; you have great water for a marine tank, or a hardwater(african cichlid) tank. Now the bad news--water at a ph of 8.0 is hard and pretty darn stable. Getting the ph of your tanks down(even .5) is going to take effort to achieve and maintain long term. Plus, if you ever mess up, your ph will shoot up to 8 and ph shock your fish. Depending on species, the affects of that could be anything from stressful to lethal. I think first you need to decide if you really even want to worry about it. Most tropical fish are advertised to a ph of 7.5 or 7.8, and if properly adpated to the water could probably do 8.0 There are a number of people on the board who have water that naturally runs in the 8-8.4 range and they keep "regular"tropical fish. If you ph doesn't move, my vote is that you don't worry about it :)

--chris

MisterP
03-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Yea after i let my tap water sit 24 hours the ph was 8.0 which is the same as both tanks. Its public utility water. The tanks stay stable at 8 so probably best to let them be. I have done some research on how do bring the ph down and it seems like a lot of work as you mentioned chris. The problem was that when i tested my tap water right from the faucet the ph was 7.4. Thats why i got little concerned with the ph. Thanks again for all the help.

Other parameters on the 55gl, ammonia went up to .50 and 0 nitrites and nitrates. I had and idea and wondered what you guys might think. I dont want to go through a nitrite cycle so i was hoping that if i just put the 10gl filter on the 55gl and put the last two fish in the 55gl would that work??

Then once the 55gl is established i can start the 10gl back up by just putting the filter back right?

Wild Turkey
03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Yea after i let my tap water sit 24 hours the ph was 8.0 which is the same as both tanks. The tanks stay stable at 8 so probably best to let them be.

You got it bud!

Glad we got that solvedthumbs2:

MisterP
03-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Me too! Thanks again Wild Turkey!thumbs2: