PDA

View Full Version : tank clean-up

mommy1
03-09-2009, 08:33 PM
how often do you completely tear down your tank and clean it/if ever. the reason im asking is because i just bought some more fake plants and bubble wands. im wondering if it would be better to clean the tank and put them in or just put them in. my tank is clean. and my water perameters are good. ammonia 0,nitrites 0, and nitrates 5-10ppm. i do 30% water changes about once a week and vacuum the gravel every time. the tank complete with decor and fish was given to me about 6 months ago and has been cycled for 4-5 months or so. i dont want to wash the gravel or anything. maybe just rinse it in the old tank water. any way whta do you think. tear it sown or not. what would you do.

Demi ^_^
03-09-2009, 10:20 PM
No, don't tear it down!

Their is bacteria in your filter media mostly, but some is in your gravel too.. If you want to give some of your other quipment a clean (Heater, thermometre), wipe them down with a clean sponge - But don't use soap!

Even a small trace of soap can kill all your fish!

If you want to clean the water, you could do a W/C before hand - Siphon out maybe 20-50% of teh water out and replace with clean water, that has the same temperature as the water in the tank and make sure you use dechlorinator :))

Personally, I would just add the plants ;)

sid101
03-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Yup, just rinse the plants a litle in your sink and put them in, never ever use soap on anything that will enter the aquarium not even your handsbefore working in the water.

mommy1
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
:22: thanks guys. i went with your advice and just put in the bubble wands and the new fake plants with my next water change. i also added a black background. as soon as i figure out the camera i'll post some pics.oh i guess i'll have to figure out how tho post pics also. :hmm3grin2orange: