PDA

View Full Version : Long time no chat!

smoochxoxo
03-09-2009, 06:25 PM
My 10 G is no more and all fishy friends have moved into a 30 Gallon tank. Complete with DIY Stand. lol
Now the problem arises that I am showing signs of Ammonia above 1.0, it was at 2.0 yesterday but I changed some of the water then added amolock!!! I am getting ticked!

The ONLY thing that is new in that tank is some of the gravel, the water and the tank itself. OH and I added some tall fake plants since it looked like A$$ with the bare spots. Anyhow that is it, the 2 filters, driftwood, decoration, plants, everything but their kitchen sink was moved over to the new tank and seems like I am going through a cycle!

Any ideas as to why?

I primed the tank (well water anyhow) set everything up nicey nice and now this!
hopefully the little buggers don't kick the bucket.

bushwhacker
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
you didnt clean those filters did ya smooch? other than that i cant think of anything that would toss ya into a cycle.. all ya can do now is keep a close eye on your params and do your changes as needed

smoochxoxo
03-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Nope filters are still intact, one is a whisper filter that I got with the tank (I will fill in some background on this tank in a moment) and the other one is a AC mini or whatever the one for a 20 gallon tank is, that I have had running for maybe 2 or so years so it was well on its way to good a bacteria filled. lol

Tank background. I had 2 tanks...a 10 and a 5. My 5 is housing some guppies that I am seeking to get rid of and the ten was the original home to Gourami, white clouds and the 1 loach. This 30 gallon is a set up I bought from a gal near me. She was getting rid of it due to her move and couldn't take it with her, The tank itself was without water for 1 week (had to build a stand) but the filter was set up that night along with the fish that I had to take with the tank in the 10 gallon. So really there is nothing new with in the tank other than the water I put in which was treated, and some plastic plants that were fillers so the tank didn't look so bare...but everything else was brought over from the 10 to the 30. All of the fish were totally fine in the 10 no problems what so ever, since I moved them all over to the 30, 1 golden white cloud died and the hillstram loach is stressing. I am sure it due to ammonia since I am getting a reading but I have done everything I can think of in getting that ammonia out of there...:scry:

I am at a loss...I have no idea!

Lady Hobbs
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
That's happened with me changing out the gravel, as well. Bacteria also is in the gravel so removing it all can give you a mini cycle especially if the filter media is not very well seasoned.

smoochxoxo
03-09-2009, 07:09 PM
crud! if I am in a mini cycle then i have a feeling things are not going to end well. I have never had a mini cycle...even when setting up the 10 gallon from scratch and seeding it with the 5G. I really don't think the loach is going to make it and I have NO idea where the kuhli loach is. He burried himself and I have yet to see him. I don't want to poke at the gravel in case I poke him. I don't want to hurt him. lol OY!!!
What should I do then to help this mini cycle along? Is there anything more than just water changes?

bushwhacker
03-09-2009, 07:13 PM
not really.... you already have the cycled media in there you just have to wait for it to catch up

smoochxoxo
03-09-2009, 10:55 PM
k thanks...crossing my fingers that it happens like NOW...lol
thanks for you help!