PDA

View Full Version : Royal Pleco

Ramdin
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I got a royal pleco the other day cause he looks so cool. How are they for algae cleaning?? I know they get pretty big and they need bogwood to supplement their diet but is there anything else I should know?? Apparently they are a little harder to keep than a plain old vanilla pleco. I feed him hikarii algae waffers and a blanched zucchini once a week.

Northernguy
03-09-2009, 05:03 PM
You coud also feed romain lettuce,spinach,and fruit!
Wheres the pics?thumbs2:

Ramdin
03-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Gonna have a bunch of pics up soon!! Been really stoked on my new rig and fish :) I just want my set up to be totally done cycling (which it is now). Also I have a very rare canister filter (Rainbow lifegard AF) and I need a new filter(s) which I have ordered so my water is all perfectly clear. I have a real good underwater camera which I am gonna use to get some hopefuly great shots!! :18:

Should have a rash of pics up after this weekend

Sharkman
03-09-2009, 06:41 PM
royal plecos are actually very inefficient algae eaters. They are more of the wood and veggie eating type. They will likely make your tank more dirty than clean because of their high bioload.

Ramdin
03-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Ya a noticed he is a crapping machine!!! Oh well I bought him cause he looks cool more than as a glass cleaner. I bought 5 zigzag snails for that... they are supposed to be awesome for glass cleaning. Just worried my clown loaches may make a snack of them once they are big enough.

Demjor19
03-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Mine does little to nothing as far as cleaning algae. They do look awesome and they do need the bog/drift wood combined with veggies and waffers.

Poofaye C.
03-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Pics, pics, pics.....not that I'm rushing you or anything........pics, pics, pics!!!:laugh1blue:

Crispy
03-10-2009, 05:04 PM
what L# is your pleco? I have a L191 olive royal and he does nothing for the glass. And like someone already said, they're much more messy than anything else... but they look soooo cool! Good luck with your pleco!

Dave66
03-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Before someone forgets, Panaques like those mentioned MUST have driftwood in their tank. They gnaw on wood to such an extent they are called canoe eaters in nature. The Royals have to have the drift wood since it's such a vital piece of nutrition for them.

Dave

Ramdin
03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
What is a L#??? Mine looks just like the one on the hikarii algae waffer bag.... I believe mine had an alustrious career as a fish food model before arriving in my tank LOL.

I have read they have stripe and eye color variations..... mine has orange eyes.

Dave66
03-11-2009, 07:33 PM
A German magazine started using the 'L' numbers to designate Loricariads (plecos) that haven't been named to science yet several years ago. For instance, Gold Nugget plecos can be L-18, L-81 or L-177, since there are three species that look very similar and are called Gold Nugget Pleco commonly. Differences include adult size, size and number of the spots, and level of yellow markings on the edges of the unpaired fins. Right now, the fish are in the Baryancistrus genus, but none of the three have a species name yet, and the Genus name will probably be changed by the time science gets around to naming them.

When a Loricariad is finally named to science, its 'L' number is retired.

Dave

Ramdin
03-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Cool... I learned a little extra taxonomy today!!