PDA

View Full Version : Weekend away from cycling tank...

Kadina
03-09-2009, 02:08 PM
I am going away this coming weekend and my 37g is currently in the middle of a fishless cycle. As of my tests last night I am in the nitrite spike phase, but I am not sure where I will be come the weekend. I have been adding 3ml of ammonia every night and by the next night it is down to zero again. If I drop a little extra ammonia (6ml?) in on Friday before I leave will the cycle be ok until Sunday evening when I can feed the bacteria again?

Wild Turkey
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
I am going away this coming weekend and my 37g is currently in the middle of a fishless cycle. As of my tests last night I am in the nitrite spike phase, but I am not sure where I will be come the weekend. I have been adding 3ml of ammonia every night and by the next night it is down to zero again. If I drop a little extra ammonia (6ml?) in on Friday before I leave will the cycle be ok until Sunday evening when I can feed the bacteria again?

Its risky, and hard to say exactly how it could go. Nothing could happen, or you could find yourself starting over when you get back. Regardless, i think the option you mentioned is the best one, just dont jack it up much higher than 5ppm.

The best option being get someone to watch it for you and do the ammonia addition.

bushwhacker
03-09-2009, 03:43 PM
what are your nitrites? do you have any nitrates?.. your cycle may be done.. let us know the rest of the params

Alfcea
03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Bacteria can be really hardy. They do need food, but at least some of them will definitely survive for two days with no ammonia. Wild Turkey is right on when he advised you not to go any over 5ppm, though. That would kill them for sure.

terrapin24h
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
What is your water temp? If you cool the water down to 70ish and add extra ammonia, i think you might be able to get away with it.

--chris

Wild Turkey
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
What is your water temp? If you cool the water down to 70ish and add extra ammonia, i think you might be able to get away with it.

--chris

I disagree,
Turning down the temp dramatically will not only reduce bacteria growth, but could even kill the bacteria. You are moving away from its preferred temp (around 85), its even higher for the second type of bacteria.(nitrite to nitrate) Not a huge deal in a established tank, but during a fishless cycle it could certainly mess things all up.

Bacteria cultures dont even work in room temperature aquariums in my experiences, thats a great indicator that its way out of the preferred temperature range. Making the aquarium cooler will make the bacteria die faster, not preserve it.

Kadina
03-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Here is the entire cycle so far. The tank is lightly planted and was seeded with media from an established tank.

http://olsonpages.com/storage/tanktests.jpg

Wild Turkey
03-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Here is the entire cycle so far. The tank is lightly planted and was seeded with media from an established tank.

http://olsonpages.com/storage/tanktests.jpg

you are in the later stages of establishment. It wouldnt be outlandish to say you could be done this week, so you wouldnt even need to worry about it. Of course, heres hoping.

terrapin24h
03-09-2009, 06:58 PM
I disagree,
Turning down the temp dramatically will not only reduce bacteria growth, but could even kill the bacteria. You are moving away from its preferred temp (around 85), its even higher for the second type of bacteria.(nitrite to nitrate) Not a huge deal in a established tank, but during a fishless cycle it could certainly mess things all up.

Bacteria cultures dont even work in room temperature aquariums in my experiences, thats a great indicator that its way out of the preferred temperature range. Making the aquarium cooler will make the bacteria die faster, not preserve it.

I did the exact thing I suggested during my fishless cycle of my 10 gallon; worked swimmingly. I was gone for 3 days(well, 2 got back on the third). But, my temp started out much lower. I didn't go from 85 to 70, i went from 78 to 71, added a lot of ammonia(took level to about 3 or 4) came back and it was a little over 1. Jack the heat back to 78 ammonia went to 0 added fish. I dunno if i'd push more than i did, but i didn't seem to have any problem. When i fishless cycle im not in a real hurry, so i don't take the heat up high, perhaps that's why it worked for me

--chris

Kadina
03-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Well, even if my cycle finishes before we leave on Friday I won't be able to get any fish until Sunday. You see, I have a 20% off coupon for all fish at my lfs that is valid only on Sunday, so I will be waiting to use it, even if that means an extra week after the cycle is complete. I'm cheap, I admit it!

I asked my Mom if she will stop over on Saturday and add ammonia for me. I am not asking her to do any tests, just to add 3ml of ammonia, hopefully nothing will go wrong while I am away.

Thanks for the advice, as usual!