PDA

View Full Version : Glass Catfish...the Dirty Harry of fish!

Lauren B.
02-16-2007, 02:43 AM
I saw a tank of Glass Catfish while I was at Petsmart today. Every time I see these guys they make me laugh. They look like a little mob of fish, staring you down and calling you out, with the way they gang together.....their heads stay perfectly still as they eye you like a rabid dog, while their little bodies shimmy in unison. If they could speak, I swear they'd be saying, "Go ahead punk, make my day". They remind me of the gangs in West Side Story when they group together, perfectly synchronized, and do that little hunched over move while snapping their fingers!

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 02:48 AM
lol, that's funny. A lot of catfish seem like that I think.

I was in a store today and saw Jellybean Parrots. I think those are injected with dyes, it made me sad :(

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 02:57 AM
i think glass cats are died to be clear. SAD, sad.
But yeah, they stay still like lil gangies that are with knives and crowbars

Lauren B.
02-16-2007, 04:12 AM
I was in a store today and saw Jellybean Parrots. I think those are injected with dyes, it made me sad :(

I've never heard of Jellybean Parrots. Is that a fish? (Hate to sound stupid, but the name does say "parrot"!)

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 04:14 AM
yeah, they're jellybean parrot fish. They were really tiny, and light pink, blue, green, yellow...very neat looking, but like I said, I think they are dyed that way, which is NOT COOL.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 04:15 AM
blood parrots made and dyed into jellybean colors. so sad, since theyre naturally orange/red

Incredulous_Ed
02-16-2007, 05:50 AM
i think glass cats are died to be clear. SAD, sad.

No they're not. That's actually natural.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 05:59 AM
huh. someone told me theyre died.
Sweet, i might get some now that i know theyre not died

mdjw76
02-16-2007, 09:56 PM
What colour would the Glass Catfish have been died to make it see through.....

kenyth
03-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Glass cats are like that naturally. Chameleon camo in the wild since colors show right through. A lot of the new flourescent colors are actually genetically engineered. Flourescent green and red Danios for instance. They were used for science work at one point to help identify pollution problems. The flourescence makes them easy to locate and identify. Since finding them to be desirable to aquarists, they are now available to the general public, if a bit pricey.

Severus
03-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Glass cats are like that naturally. Chameleon camo in the wild since colors show right through. A lot of the new flourescent colors are actually genetically engineered. Flourescent green and red Danios for instance. They were used for science work at one point to help identify pollution problems. The flourescence makes them easy to locate and identify. Since finding them to be desirable to aquarists, they are now available to the general public, if a bit pricey.

Those flourescent red and green danios actually occur naturally now. They were dyed some years back, but can now naturally produce offspring that color which is pretty cool.

Lauren B.
03-02-2007, 06:06 AM
A woman told me the same thing about Glo-fish. She told me that they are no longer artificially dyed and have been genetically engineered to be their color. Hence, they are now naturally born to grow up pink, or orange, or yellow, etc., and are not injected with anything.

Can anyone confirm this?

kenyth
03-02-2007, 04:39 PM
A woman told me the same thing about Glo-fish. She told me that they are no longer artificially dyed and have been genetically engineered to be their color. Hence, they are now naturally born to grow up pink, or orange, or yellow, etc., and are not injected with anything.

Can anyone confirm this?

Very possible. They have identified a "flourescing" gene and are adding it to developing eggs of certain fish. New "neon" colored fish are turning up all the time. The gene is passed down to offspring, so they are genetically engineered varieties. The labs that created them get money from the sale too, so if you don't believe in this sort of thing, then don't buy them.

Severus
03-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Can anyone confirm this?

It is true. I cant find a website or article for you because i am too lazy, but i am 99.9% sure it is true

cocoa_pleco
03-03-2007, 02:28 AM
man, i went to a small town wal-mart, TONS of fish, and lots dyed.
There were black neon tetras, and white skirt tetras with red, green, yellow etc.