PDA

View Full Version : few Q's on jewel cichlid behaviour

mrs fishpatrick
03-08-2009, 07:05 PM
I have 3 jewel cichlids in a tank, only have them 4 days, I am pretty sure I have 1 male (big, darker coloured, spade shape tail fin) 2 females (brighter coloured and fan shaped tail fin) The male and the biggest female (who is all coloured up) are swimming around each other and pecking at each other, liplockin is the latest development. I am quite sure it is not agression, is it mating behaviour for them??

Also the smaller female, should I consider takin her out and leave the 2 of them at 'it'?
Would a single female go in my community tank?

Algenco
03-08-2009, 07:16 PM
yep, they're about to spawn, better get the other one out

btate617
03-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I have 3 jewel cichlids in a tank, only have them 4 days, I am pretty sure I have 1 male (big, darker coloured, spade shape tail fin) 2 females (brighter coloured and fan shaped tail fin) The male and the biggest female (who is all coloured up) are swimming around each other and pecking at each other, liplockin is the latest development. I am quite sure it is not agression, is it mating behaviour for them??

Also the smaller female, should I consider takin her out and leave the 2 of them at 'it'?

Jewels are pretty nasty in my opinion. Depending on tank size I would for sure remove the other fish out. As far as putting in a comm tank, like I said I think they are pretty nasty. you could try it though.
Sounds like mating behaviour to me.
If they are trying to spawn or getting ready to, if the tank is on the smaller side I think you will come to find that extra fish willl be dealt with by the pair.....

Brian

Crispy
03-08-2009, 07:26 PM
I agree with Algenco and Btate, sounds like mating behaviour and the other fish should be removed. As for putting the extra female in a community tank.... it's hit or miss.. could work, might not.

mrs fishpatrick
03-08-2009, 07:31 PM
the only option I have for the small female is the community tank, unless I put her in with my 7 neons in a 10G, the fry tank is a big nono, it is full of kribensis fry and cory fry.
What would be the worst that could happen, would she kill my cory's? or my krib pair? the other inhabitants are a fully grown blue gourami and odessa barbs

Deleted User
03-08-2009, 07:38 PM
If I were you mrs fishpatrick I really would take the spare female down to the LFS. The spare female would not be safe with your neons and I am not sure if it would be ok in the community tank either. She wouldn't harm your corys but your krib pair may come under attack. But if I were you I would take her to the LFS.:ssmile:

btate617
03-08-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree with Celtic..... I wouldn't put it with anything. I hate this fish, I have had them twice and spawned them both time, however they just have mental problems if you ask me.lol. Nice looking fish though.
I had one pair that I finally moved to a 40gal breeder, they were fine for awhile then well not so fine. I tried them with other fish in decent size tanks and it always seemed to end up being a jewel tank if you know what I mean.

Brian

mrs fishpatrick
03-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I would feel bad about takin her to the LFS, my friend gave me her tank only a few days ago, for me to look after them better, dunno would it be fair for me to turn around and bring one of them to the lfs.

I know she could up dead if I leave her in with the 2 lovebirds.

dilemma's dilemma's

btate617
03-08-2009, 08:31 PM
I would feel bad about takin her to the LFS, my friend gave me her tank only a few days ago, for me to look after them better, dunno would it be fair for me to turn around and bring one of them to the lfs.

I know she could up dead if I leave her in with the 2 lovebirds.

dilemma's dilemma's

I don't think it is she could end up dead, if under say 30gal Ii would say if the other two spawn she will be removed one way or the other. Just my opinion and my experience when I had them.

Brian

my friend gave me her tank only a few days ago, for me to look after them better

wouldn't you be doing a good job by removing one before the others kill it off?

Deleted User
03-08-2009, 08:32 PM
You could always put her in your community tank with a divider up . :ssmile:

Pterophyllum
03-08-2009, 10:48 PM

Is the female jewel cichlid aggressive to the others??

If not, you should be fine. Just like someone else stated. Try and put up a tank divider up :)

(I don't want to say too much xD)

Good luck :)

btate617
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Is the female jewel cichlid aggressive to the others??

If not, you should be fine. Just like someone else stated. Try and put up a tank divider up :)

(I don't want to say too much xD)

Good luck :)

It isnt the extra female jewel cichlid being aggressive to the others she needs to be worried about.
That female is going to die if the other 2 spawn, basically.

Brian

mrs fishpatrick
03-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I think he tried to say she should be fine in the community tank:14:

btate617
03-09-2009, 12:16 AM
She will be but in my opinion your community may not fair so well.

Brian

Pterophyllum
03-09-2009, 12:19 AM
I think he tried to say she should be fine in the community tank:14:

Yehp that's what I ment :)

btate617
03-09-2009, 02:43 AM
Yehp that's what I ment :)

:thumb: I would have to agree.

mrs fishpatrick
03-09-2009, 10:06 AM
She will be but in my opinion your community may not fair so well.

Brian

I catch your drift :shappy: