PDA

View Full Version : rena canister

smokeypea
02-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Hi, i have just spent 3 hours setting up Rena FilstarXP2.... manged to get a huge blister on my finger cos of trying to push the darn plastic tube on the pipes,, i need more muscles, anyway, flooded the carpet, and lost the power jet noxxle,, think one of the darn cats ate it,, swear words abounded.. ended up calling the technical support serves, who we really good, and i EVENTUALLY got it started, its so quiet i keep thinking i did something wromng and its not working, keep checking it lol, i know i am hopeless at these things, anyway , hope its as good as i have been told.

f1oored
02-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I have the rena XP3 and I love it. After getting it set up it really isn't much of a problem. And it is so quiet. I'm sure you will love it.

*Sarah*
02-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Glad u got it set up, what a pain though.

smokeypea
02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
I forgot to ask.. when i do water changes, do i need to switch the canister off? i mean with the electric plug? i do with the penguin, if i do have to trun it off, do i have to prime it again? lift the Quick disconnect valve and prime it when i have finished the water changes/ or do i do that just when i clena the media in the canister? sorry to appear dumb, thats why it look me so long to get it started lol, oh and another thought, if we get a power outage should take the plugg out of the socket and will i get flooded? lol. thanks.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 02:34 AM
my hydor has 2 switches in the intake and outtake, so if youre doing water changes you just hold the water in and you dont have to re-prime

f1oored
02-16-2007, 04:30 PM
I turn mine off during water changes because it splashes too much when the water level starts getting low. Just unplug it and then plug it back in when you are done. No need to use the lever or prime just for water changes. A poweroutage will only turn off the filter. Just like unpluging it. It will start back up on it's own when the power kicks back on.

smokeypea
02-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for you help f1oored,,, i was worried of i just switched it off i may have to prime it again, so thanks , i keep checking its working cos its SOOOO quiet,, the water does seem clearer, although it was always pretty clear, as you know it came with Bio-Chem Zorb which i put in the basket, and also i added Nitra Zorb, i bought some Bio Chem stars but didnt know which basket to put them in, and i am not sure they would fit in there anyway as its only got 2 baskets, do i need to put the stars in? the tank has been running since july last year and i also have a penguin biowheel filter 300 so got good bacteria on those, never have problem with high nitrates or ammonia(touch wood lol), i do 3 water changes per week, cos i like to do them and Ozzie appecates it, oh and it was so funny last night watching him in his tank, i had to take out a bubble wand cos that was the only place i could put the spray bar, HE WAS MAD, lol he loved to swim through the bubbles.

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 07:45 PM
We have a Fluval 404 and it's VERY quiet as well. I was worried at first about it not working lol.

f1oored
02-17-2007, 06:43 AM
The stars are good because you never have to change them so you always have a good ammount of bacteria in the canister. With the bio wheels running you don't need the stars and as long as you change the filters as suggested you should be fine (don't change them all at once).

I have the same setup as you just a little bigger. I have the xp3 and the biowheel 350. It has been a great setup for me. My water quality is good enough that all of my fish seem to be breeding alot. Glad to hear things are working out for you.

smokeypea
02-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry a few more questions ,,, when i am feeding, is it ok to unplug the canister filter? cos i do the penguin otherwise the food goes all over the tank, if i do unplug it, i dont have to prime it again right??, and when i want to clean the filters out in the canister, i unplug it, pull that lever up, take the canister to sink and pour the wtaer out, then do i rinse the foam things in tnak water or tap water? and when i put it back under the tank, and up the lever down ect, do i then have to prime it like i did at initial set up?? i am a bit confused,,, it doesnt take much lol,, thanks for any help. Oh and if i do have to prime it, do i unscrew the top on the intake pipe and put that funnel in???

cocoa_pleco
02-19-2007, 07:30 PM
its a bit hard on the machine to unplug when you feed.

if theres not a little stick that holds in water in the canister, you have to re-prime it