PDA

View Full Version : Tim's little 45g Reef

tim k
03-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Well after about six months of research it has become time to start putting my little slice of the ocean together thumbs2: .

The size of the tank was determined by the space that my wonderful loving wife donated to the cause LOL.
The little 45g bowfront fits perfectly in the cove.

Lots more pics and updates to come.

Tim k

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2009, 12:23 PM
Looks like a good start. Great choice on getting the back drilled. Can't wait to see the result.

tim k
03-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I decided that the best way to go about this was to have the sump in the basement.

That would allow me to have as large of a sump as I wanted and plenty of space to work on the sump as well as having tons of room for the addition of frag tanks and quarantine tanks.

The only real draw back was needing a much larger pump to get the water back to the tank.

Sump is a 35g tank tank that has been drilled and is in the process of being converted , baffles are being glued in slowly.

Pump is a Coralife 1090 that should be more than enough to handle the head height , plus it will backfeed the fuge as well.

Lights are Nova extreme 4x40 watt , should be plenty for what I am going to start with.

I will post more as I progress and I aplogize for the poor pic quality , I promise I will get better.

Thanks for looking.

Tim k

tim k
03-07-2009, 12:46 PM
One more pic for now , but probably the most important.
Its a pic of the GFI outlet installed before anything else was started.
Very important.

Sorry again about the pic quality I will work on it(blush)

Tim K

NickFish
03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Thats the exact same tank, the exact same stand and the exact same lighting I had on my 46g.
It is a 46 by the way, just so you know. Not that 1 more gallon matters any, lol.

Have fun and keep us updated!

sandy_n
03-07-2009, 02:59 PM
That's like the perfect spot! Can't wait to see the pics after it's up and running. Good luck.

Ellen4God
03-07-2009, 03:00 PM
How exciting!! :) Are you going to put a background on your tank? You may want to do that before you start getting it filled up and such since it's in a little nook like that.

Can't wait to see the progression!! :11:

tim k
03-07-2009, 03:10 PM
How exciting!! :) Are you going to put a background on your tank? You may want to do that before you start getting it filled up and such since it's in a little nook like that.

Can't wait to see the progression!! :11:

Actually I just finished painting the back of the tank yesterday , I will post some more pics soon.

Tim K

Ellen4God
03-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Actually I just finished painting the back of the tank yesterday , I will post some more pics soon.

Tim K

Oh! Well, there ya go! :) Can't wait to see the pictures. :11:

tim k
03-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Oh! Well, there ya go! :) Can't wait to see the pictures. :11:

Thank you for the heads up thoughthumbs2: .
All comments and suggestion are definitely appreciated:22: .

I am planning something a little different for the rock work but that's all I will say for now:hmm3grin2orange:

Tim k

Miltonic
03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Good luck with your reef and can't wait to see what you have planned for it. thumbs2:

AABatteries
03-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Good luck with it. Also, it would be 4x39w. How much L/R you planning on getting?

tim k
03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Couple more pics
RO-DI unit installed just have to run a line to the auto top off on the sump when its finished.

Background painted , fish already in compliments of my daughter Jaime.

Sloooooowly getting the baffles in place.

Tim k

tim k
03-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Good luck with it. Also, it would be 4x39w. How much L/R you planning on getting?

Yes your correct on the lighting , as for the live rock I estimate about 40pounds between the sump and the tank.

Tim k

AABatteries
03-07-2009, 06:11 PM
What RO/DI unit is that?

tim k
03-07-2009, 06:31 PM
What RO/DI unit is that?

Water General is the mfg.
Comes with RO drinking water and RO+DI line for reef tanks.

I still need to get a TDS meter as well.

Tim K

AABatteries
03-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Okay.......

tim k
03-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Small update.......

Tank was filled with freshwater and ran for a day with only one small leak.

Now draining the water and will start filling with RO-Di water this afternoon :19:

Tim k

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-14-2009, 12:55 PM
Very cool. Always a lot of fun setting up a new tank. Looks good so far.

tim k
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Anyone who has ever filled an aquarium with an RO-DI unit knows the pain I am feeling right now.
It's sooooooooow sloooooooow.

Tim K

Miltonic
03-15-2009, 01:04 PM
omg I know, I was dying during the two days it took to fill my 90g.

can't wait to see filled thumbs2:

rageybug
03-15-2009, 02:55 PM
fish already in compliments of my daughter Jaime

When I read this I tought.. oh no... fish already, what's he doing? Then I saw the pictue... too cute!

That is a perfect spot for your tank. Can't wait to see the final results.

tim k
03-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Small update.......

The aquarium has bee up and running for almost a week now , the temp and salinity are good.
No leaks thumbs2:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO today we go rock hunting :19: .
I am fortunate to have four good stores within forty five minutes of my house so the plan is to start with the closest and finish with the furthest in hopes to get the best rock I can.

Will post pics as soon as I have the rock in the tank.

Tim K

rageybug
03-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I may be too late Tim, but if you can get some rock from a couple different sources you will get a better mix of "live stuff" on the rock. One store might have good coralline growth but not many hitchhikers on it. Mix it up and get lots of goodies!

tim k
03-21-2009, 04:25 PM
I may be too late Tim, but if you can get some rock from a couple different sources you will get a better mix of "live stuff" on the rock. One store might have good coralline growth but not many hitchhikers on it. Mix it up and get lots of goodies!

I actually just got back from the first store , 40 pounds heavier and lots of money lighter LOL.

I will need another twenty or so , I will wait until their new shipment comes in later this week (kinda like hitting two different sources).

If I buy from the same store they will give me the best price per pound.
Anything over 30 pounds is $5.88 anything under is almost$9.00.
Big difference.

Thanks for the thought rageybug , never even entered my little mind.

Tim k

rageybug
03-21-2009, 08:59 PM
No problem! I am anxious to see your tank...

tim k
03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Alright everyone loves pics so here yah go.
I have about forty pounds of live rock in the tank , with another twenty or so coming this weekend.
So the rock work is far from finished but it's getting closer:19:

You can see the attention to detail in this pic.

Tim K

tim k
03-23-2009, 10:43 PM
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Tim K

tim k
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
Alright here is a better shot LOL.

Water is crystal clear.

Tim K

tim k
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Here is a pic of the sump and skimmer.
The Octopus skimmer starting pulling junk out immediately after adding the rock and has been working flawlessly so far.
I guess that's why they are so popular.

Tim K

tim k
03-23-2009, 11:03 PM
I have to say that I am so glad I decided to put the sump in the basement.
It did cost a little more but is well worth it.
I have tons of room to work on it , the pump is isolated so no extra heat is added to the tank and it is a lot more efficient than a submersible mag pump.

Now I just need to add a little rock and some cheetos corn chips :18: in the sump and we should be all set.

Tim k

Sharon
03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm just reading this thread for the first time...I AM impressed!!!thumbs2:

Northernguy
03-24-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm just reading this thread for the first time...I AM impressed!!!thumbs2:
Me Too! lol Great job! I like the easy to clean and completly away from the display tank ideas.The tank looks great!thumbs2:

labnjab
03-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Looking great..I faintly remember when our sump looked that clean...:hmm3grin2orange:

tim k
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Well my daughter spotted my first hitchhiker today.
Very small , kinda looked like a feather duster.

Not sure what it is but when I went to get the camera it had gone back into the rock.

Its hard to describe other than it being black and white and looks just like a feather duster , any idea's?

Tim k

tim k
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Definitely a feather duster worm of some sort maybe a Star Horseshoe Worm.

My first algae bloom is starting as well.

Tim K

tim k
03-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Update on the rock ,it's difficult to see the depth in a pic but I am happy with it.

Lost of room for corals ,good flow all the way around and through the rock and still some room for the fish.

tim k
03-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Another angle.

tim k
03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
This is a pic of a rock that I thought looked very cool.

What do you think?

Tim K

kaybee
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Great aquascaping! :thumb:

My first algae bloom is starting as well.

Until photosynthetic lifeforms (and to a lesser extent, fish) are added to the tank, I recommend keeping the lights off as an anti-algae measure. If fish are added prior to photosynthetic life, maintain the photo-period 6-8hrs (or less).

The water and system properties of most newly established SW tanks are fertile for cyanobacteria and nuisance algae growth. Curtailing the lighting until required eliminates or greatly reduces the nuisance algae factor.

For example,

Tank A: newly established, photo-period 8-12hrs, even when there are no corals or fish in the tank. Nuisance algae forms due to the current quality of the system and take a foot hold or even a strong hold in some cases in the tank.

As the tank matures (6-12 month depending on variables) nuisance algae gradually dies off or is reduced to highly manageable levels. Until tank maturations occurs, however, unsightly algae can be present in the tank for months, coming and going in stages. This is how many hobbyists go about it, though.

Tank B: Newly established. Lights are not even utilized until photosynthetic life is added, or used sparingly after the fish are added.

So even while water conditions in newly established Tank B may promote nuisance algae and cyano bacteria, without light it just will not manifest. When corals and fish are eventually added (after a certain period of tank maturation), nuisance algae has a much tougher time 'taking root' since at this time system conditions have greatly improved (and improved system conditions are not conducive to nuisance algae growth).

tim k
03-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I understand keeping the lights off to control the algae but doesn't the other lifeforms that come on the rock need some kind of light to survive?

And do I not need some algae for the C.U.C. to eat ?

Tim K

kaybee
03-29-2009, 07:14 PM
For the most part the only CUC which require algae are certain mollusks and echinoderms (algae-eating snails, sea hare, nudibranchs, some urchins and such). Excluding these life forms and perhaps a few others and photosynthetic creatures, light isn't required for CUC sustainment or well-being.

Some CUC will show absolutely no interest in algae. Some CUC, like many hermit crabs, will sort through algae to find edible detritus trapped among it. I've seen hermits that will eat leftover fish food, live snails, and each other while paying no attention to algae.

Most CUC are scavengers and detritivores and will eat/prefer to eat non-algae when provided with the choice. The 'matter' they scavenge and consume is generally independent of a light source.

It is possible to have a completely blacked-out tank stocked with non-photosynthetic corals and have it teeming with CUC (excluding algae-eating snails and the like).

tim k
03-29-2009, 08:49 PM
: Thanks for the info kaybee , so much to learn and Im lovin it thumbs2:

Tim K

tim k
04-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Today I added the first of the C.C.
Cerinth and Nas snails plus four blue legged Hermits.

It's starting to come alive thumbs2:

Tim K

rageybug
04-08-2009, 02:55 PM
The tank looks great, love how you placed your LR.

tim k
04-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Big day today , picked up the first fish , a beautiful Fire Goby who is now resting in his temporary home (QT) in my daughters room.

She absolutely loved the idea of having the QT in here room she is now the Fish Doctor LOL.

Tim K

tim k
04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
The tank looks great, love how you placed your LR.

Thanks Ragey it only took me three hours to do :hmm3grin2orange:

Tim K

tim k
04-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Finally moved the Fire Goby into the DT , a little early but he is the only fish in the tank , picked up a beautiful Yellow Watchman Goby who is now doing time.

Added a couple more snails , tank is doing great so far just a small algae bloom , not bad at all .

Its amazing how things just keep popping up , spotted a rather long worm last week , turned out to be a Peanut Worm very cool.
Now I see I have some other kind of a tube worm , Feather Duster things come out of nowhere.
It looked like grass at first but it has a Feather Duster head , they are still very small maybe a quarter of an inch long , no idea what they are.

Also added a 40g RubberMaid Brute container for mixing and storing saltwater ,with circ pump and heater.
Just need to add an ATO and its all set.

That's about it for now
Tim K

tim k
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Everyone loves pictures.

Tim K

tim k
04-20-2009, 09:44 PM
Another one.

labnjab
04-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Nice looking goby, we had one, and it lasted 10 minuets. Our hawkfish tried to make a meal of it and we moved it to our sump, but it was too late

Tanks looking great

Miltonic
04-20-2009, 11:28 PM
wow, where have I been? your tank looks great! I think I may get myself a fire goby myself in the future but I just can't decide since there so many fish :/

rageybug
04-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Dude, scrub that glass!!!!

Looking great, and good choices so far with your CUC and first fish.

tim k
04-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys , I may add some corals this weekend and that just means more pics.

Algae came and went fairly quickly with only a couple days of heavy bloom.

Tim K

tim k
04-25-2009, 12:27 AM
I can't take it any more I am going coral hunting this weekend.
Now if I could only decide on what I want first .

Tim K

tim k
04-27-2009, 01:02 AM
Added my first corals today thumbs2: .
Picked up a beautiful purple and green Acan frag as well as a purple and green
Zoas frag.

Went to Reef Gallery in Oakville and all I can say is WOW what an amazing selection of healthy stock , makes Big Als look like an newbie.

Also picked up a fire shrimp so the tank is slowly coming together , pics soon.

Tim K

tim k
04-27-2009, 11:50 PM
My Cans are huge (blush) .

I love my new Acans they have incredible colour and man do they puff out during the day , they easily double in size .
I want more thumbs2:

Tim K

oldhead
04-28-2009, 12:03 AM
I love huge cans. thumbs2:

rageybug
04-28-2009, 03:38 PM
mmmmm.... huge cans....

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Well a month has past so it's time for an update.

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:43 PM
another Acan

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:45 PM
and another Ausie picked up yesterday.

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:45 PM
Elegance coral

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Duncan for the Clowns

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Full tank shot algae is slowly going away thumbs2:
Finally found some good Cheato so that will definately help.

tim k
05-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I wish I could get better pics but my camera is old and my Canon HG20 HD video camera that I just bought is a huge dissapointment.
I guess I need to play with it more.

Tim

coachfraley
05-31-2009, 06:16 PM
Very pretty acans Tim! Youe tank is looking great.

Do you know what you are going to do with the rest of your coral space?

tim k
05-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Very pretty acans Tim! Youe tank is looking great.

Do you know what you are going to do with the rest of your coral space?

Not sure yet I spent at least two hours at the store were I have been getting my Coral yesterday drooling over everything.
I must have spent at least a GRAND in my mind.

I know one thing for sure I need more Acans :18: .

Tim

tim k
05-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I was starring at my 55g planted tank this morning and my wife said to me.
When are you changing it over to SW?

How the $%*& did she know what I was thinking LOL.

Even she admits that the Reef tank is so much more interesting and the funny thing is she was all for changing over the 55g.

So I figure I will turn that into a FOWLR in the very near future. thumbs2:

Tim

kaybee
05-31-2009, 07:06 PM
Very nice indeed!:thumb:

tim k
07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Well tank has been up for four months now and so far so good.thumbs2:

All coral are growing and the fish are very healthy.
The Acans are growing very fast my first Acan has almost doubled the amount of heads in just a couple months.

Algae still comes and goes but nothing major to deal with.

Not much to update because I have been waiting for the tank to mature a little more before I add more coral .
Four months is still very new in the world of Reef Aquariums and I need to take it slow , even though it is killing me.

With that being said I can't wait anymore a month is long enough and I think I will take a drive out to Mississauga this weekend and pick up some more Acans and maybe a Brain or two.

Will post updates of what I get.

Tim

tim k
09-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Have not updated in a while so here is a FTS taken today.
In the last month I have added a Green Star Polyp and a purple green Brain.

Everything in the tank is doing well not a single loss of any kind thumbs2: .

I did add a double canister DI unit in the basement in front of the ATO , the canister that came with the RO-DI unit was just to small and when I upgrade down the road it will help keep the water pure.

Still not dosing anything , just doing weekly water changes with Reef Crystal salt and the levels are staying well within the acceptable range.

I have not added any other fish for the simple reason nothing has caught my eye and with a small tank like this I can only add a couple more before it is at its limit , so I am being very patient LOL.

I have been thinking of an Angel though.

Tim

tim k
09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I really need to get a better camera those pics are awful , they don't even come close to showing the colours :scry:

Well maybe for Christmas :hmm3grin2orange: .

Tim

sheamurai
01-24-2010, 03:32 AM
I'm a little late finding this thread, Tim, but wow! Great job, fine looking tank! You haven't posted lately, can you give us an updated pic?
One time you said you were shopping in Oakville, the next you said Mississauga...what store was your favourite? I'm up in Barrie, and looking for one or two more fish, and looking to add corals...yours look great! Big Als in Barrie doesn't have much in the way of corals, and what they have is pretty dear!

tim k
01-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm a little late finding this thread, Tim, but wow! Great job, fine looking tank! You haven't posted lately, can you give us an updated pic?
One time you said you were shopping in Oakville, the next you said Mississauga...what store was your favourite? I'm up in Barrie, and looking for one or two more fish, and looking to add corals...yours look great! Big Als in Barrie doesn't have much in the way of corals, and what they have is pretty dear!

Reef Gallery in Oakville is right across the street from Big Als and it has an amazing selection of Coral at very good prices and Big Als Oakville , mississauga and Hamilton have a good selection of fish.

I have made a few small changes to my Aquarium but for the most part I have just been enjoying watching everything grow.

I added a double D.I. canister to the RO-DI unit ,added more rock to the sump but thats about it .

I will be adding more Coral just have not seen anyhting that I really want ,maybe it's time for a drive to Oakville. thumbs2:

Tim

sheamurai
01-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I've been to all the Big Als, but not since I started the reef tank. There was also the one place on Dundas, can't remember the name now, and the new Big Als in Vaughan.
There's also Indoor Jungle on Kennedy I keep seeing advertised.
So many places in TO to go, you just can't get to them all in one visit...
Anyway, gtg to Vaughan Big Als next Friday

tim k
01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
I've been to all the Big Als, but not since I started the reef tank. There was also the one place on Dundas, can't remember the name now, and the new Big Als in Vaughan.
There's also Indoor Jungle on Kennedy I keep seeing advertised.
So many places in TO to go, you just can't get to them all in one visit...
Anyway, gtg to Vaughan Big Als next Friday

One thing I found was Big Als Coral are expensive and they don't have near the selection that Reef Gallery has.

Reef Gallery deals almost exclusively in Coral and the great thing about them is they will Frag any Coral and charge you per head , Acans for example were $5.00 a head.

So you can buy as little as one head or as many as you wish , helps keep the cost down .

Tim

sheamurai
01-24-2010, 02:19 PM
oooh, didn't realise that - thanks! will check out Reef Gallery and see how far it is...I'm actually heading to Wasaga beach today, a person that works at Wasaga SeaWorld is selling frags, not sure what it will be like but going to check it out, its nice and close...

tim k
01-29-2010, 09:44 PM
I just finished a three day with no light cycle and very little feeding.
I've done this a couple times now and the Coral seem to enjoy the break , I like to call it Hurricane season LOL .

I have read about people doing this a couple times a year and how their Coral and tank in general would look healthier after the three days and I have to agree.

Tim

sheamurai
01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
hmm. Interesting. 3 days? Did the tank still get regular daytime light? Or did you black it out?

tim k
01-30-2010, 12:44 PM
hmm. Interesting. 3 days? Did the tank still get regular daytime light? Or did you black it out?

It did get some natural light , but not much.

Tim

tim k
01-30-2010, 01:47 PM
We tend to supply our reefs with the best possible conditions 24-7 but as we all know the real world is not so perfect and the theory is that most Corals benefit from these less than perfect conditions occasionally.
Kinda like taking a day off.

Tim

tim k
02-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Small update today.

I had been planning to add a remote Refugium for some time and today I finally got a chance to do it.

I had a small refugium in my 35g sump and the light I was using was causing algae to grow on everything in the sump , it became a pain in the a$$ cleaning the algae off the equipment so my thought was add a 20g Refugium just off the sump and problem solved , plus it adds more water to the system which is always a good thing.

Eventually I plan to upgrade to a 36 inch cube tank (150g I think) and this is all part of getting ready for that , I am going to buy as much dry rock as I can put in the sump so it can be ready for the new tank.
That wont be until late fall so lots of time for the rock to become live again.

Tim

tim k
03-07-2010, 05:01 PM
My little slice of the Ocean is one year old today .thumbs2:

Tim K

The Shield
03-07-2010, 05:58 PM
My little slice of the Ocean is one year old today .thumbs2:

Tim K
New pic to celebrate? thumbs2:

kaybee
03-07-2010, 06:03 PM