PDA

View Full Version : Need to Restock CUC

labnjab
03-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Our tank is approaching the 6 month mark and our CUC is dwindling so I need to restock it. I've had a few astreas snails die (being stuck on their back), my 2 big turbos (probably because their from cooler water) and I've had a few big bully crabs kill off half the rest of the crabs.

I'm down to 5-6 tiny tank raised fighting conchs, 5-6 tiny tank raised regular turbo snails, 7 astreas, a coral banded shrimp, and 4 or 5 blue legged hermits as well as all the various hitchikers. I was thinking of getting an emerald crab, but can't decided on what else. I'd like to have an assortment to put in my fuge as well as the display.

Are there any hermits that are less homicidal? Maybe redlegs or scarlets? They have plenty of shells and food, they just like to kill each other

What other snails and how many more should I get? Seems like all they sell locally is regular turbos and astreas.

Are there any other inverts I should look to add?

Thank you for any input

AABatteries
03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
No clue about the CUC, but the conchs may be killing the snails. I think I read somewhere that they can/do kill snails.

labnjab
03-06-2009, 03:07 PM
No clue about the CUC, but the conchs may be killing the snails. I think I read somewhere that they can/do kill snails.

I don't think they were the culprit, I didn't realize they did that, lol The conchs are very small now, and the snails I found dead were upside down. The crabs could have got them too

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2009, 03:15 PM
Fighting conchs do not kill snails. The the fighting has nothing to do with their behavior. You have more CUC then you need for your tank now. I wouldn't add anything more. You have likely lost things because there simply isn't enough food to go around anymore. Those Fighting Conchs are all going to get to be 3-4 inches in length, you are likely going to have to find new homes for 4-5 of those. You only need 1 Conch for your tank.

labnjab
03-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Fighting conchs do not kill snails. The the fighting has nothing to do with their behavior. You have more CUC then you need for your tank now. I wouldn't add anything more. You have likely lost things because there simply isn't enough food to go around anymore. Those Fighting Conchs are all going to get to be 3-4 inches in length, you are likely going to have to find new homes for 4-5 of those. You only need 1 Conch for your tank.

Good to know about the conchs. I was told they were not going to get much bigger. The guy that gave them to me said they were breeding in his tank and was giving them to everyone in the local reef club. I won't get anymore cuc and I'll keep all the conchs till they breed and rehome all but a few. I guess its a good thing theirs not enough food. Means I'm not overfeeding

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Yes and no. CUC needs change as a tank matures. As a tank matures you don't need as many CUC members in certain areas. Perfect example of that: my tank is approaching 18 months old and I no longer need a lot of rock cleaners or hermit crabs but my need for sand sifting snails has increased. Nassarius snails are not algae eaters, but are scavengers and thus a maturing tank has an increased need for them, espceially one with messy eaters.

labnjab
03-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Cool, that makes a lot of sense. As you tank matures and it finishes the algae stage, you need less algae eaters and more sand sifters/detritus eaters.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Yup, generally that is the case. Of course, that is all predicated on proper tank care.

Rue
03-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I got a male and female Emerald crab last week...maybe they'll get together and make plankton for me.

I also got a 'recovering' serpent star...a smaller variety (zebra or banded). Got him cheap since he's regrowing limbs. I'll see how he does in the tank for me.

I also got 3 peppermint shrimp - they like to socialize and hopefully at least one of them will eat aiptasia...

rageybug
03-07-2009, 02:20 AM
I know that crown conch will eat every snail in your tank. Not sure about fighting conch but I think they are okay. Best kept for a FOWLR CUC without other snails to be safe..

Emerald and Porcelain crabs are a great addition.