PDA

View Full Version : Help please. discus not eating.

horatiupanu
03-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I have 7 Discus. One of them is sick and I have no clues what’s wrong with it. The thing is that he stopped eating. It’s been 5 days. Lost some of its color. Lethargic. Stays more on a 45 degree angle (on the left side for some reasons). Doesn’t rub against the tank, decoration, heater, or filter (I assume no external parasites). I have used so far ick attack organic by Kordon (not for ick as H2O Temp is 29-30 Celsius), Para guard (for 2 days with no improvement at all). It’s top fins are 90% extended. Was bitten one month ago by other discus or my black ghost (lower fins which by the way improved more than 85%). Use for 2 days Melafix in the main tank and still no signs of improvement. Then I removed it from the main tank. Noticed some white spots, but not like ich. More as skin tags. After salt bath 3% for 30 seconds to 1 minute they disappeared.

I assume is an internal problem(?) The hospital tank is 14 gallons (it’s been here before as I kept it for 2 weeks with medication before adding to the main tank 2 months ago) with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. Ph is 7.6. Hardness is 9-10. Temp is 29 Celsius. No carbon in the filter. Use vitamin C and discus essential. The others discus are fine and happy in 60 gallons (6 discus plus black ghost). Same water parameters (temp is 30 Celsius as living room is warmer than bedroom and nitrate a little bit higher 10-20, but never over 20). Any suggestion before is too late. Thank you!

67GTO
03-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Don't use Melafix!... my Disc had a very bad reaction to it ..(See the picture in this forum).

Get the fish into a hospital tank and elavate the temperature to 84-86 degrees (F). What you may have is is Hex. The only thing that has worked for me, is soaking frozen worms in a Prazi solution ( I'm at work and don't have the brand name in front of me) and feeding the sick fish. It seem to be the most effective med. delivery method.

Others will have better advice but hope it helps.

Pterophyllum
03-07-2009, 01:56 AM
If you have a spare tank, you'll definately want to bring your discus into that instead.

Also, turn the dial up to about 86 - 90 ºF

Discus don't eat as much when they are sick. It is just natural for them. just like if we have a fever, we don't want to eat so much. Why? It's because our bodies don't feel good when we eat too much during fevers, and will cause you to release the undigested food, and acid in your stomach..

Same for fishes, but not too much of the regurgitation stuff.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2009, 02:07 AM
Do not turn up the temperature to 86-90. Discus thrive best at 82-84. It could be an internal parasite issue. If you can get him on New Life Spectrum Thera +A it will help flush out the parasites if they are in there. Also, as cruel as it may sound, try feeding him a baby guppy or 2. Most Discus will not turn their nose up at guppy fry.

horatiupanu
03-07-2009, 04:33 AM
Water is 88-89F. I used prazi-pro. The thing is my discus is not eating. 7 days so far. I found this med: thefishkeepr (natural and treats internal infection). Any fedbacks?

horatiupanu
03-07-2009, 06:34 AM
I see different opinions regarding water temperature. In the main tank water temp is 88F and everybody is happy. My discus are very active (compare with what I read). Growing since I got the very first two. One problem I have they don’t want to eat flakes. I stopped giving food for up to 4 days, and they didn’t want to eat one flake. Some eat beef hart, some don’t; some eat frozen, some don’t. Any tricks can you teach me? Thanks!

PS for 67GTO: how long do you soak frozen worms in Prazi solution?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, the New Life Spectrum is a pellet food and I've always been able to get them to eat it. There is high amounts of garlic in it and that is a natural attractant for them. However, for those that don't eat it, I've had success in offering that exclusively for 2 weeks and eventually they have taken it. Even my most stubborn eaters have taken it.

Pterophyllum
03-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Do not turn up the temperature to 86-90. Discus thrive best at 82-84. It could be an internal parasite issue. If you can get him on New Life Spectrum Thera +A it will help flush out the parasites if they are in there. Also, as cruel as it may sound, try feeding him a baby guppy or 2. Most Discus will not turn their nose up at guppy fry.

Strange..

I always kept my temperature on 90 and in the summers I slowly turn it down to 85 or 86...

Also, discus are vegetarians. Have you done guppy feeding before?

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Also, discus are vegetarians.
They most certainly are not. Discus are South American cichlids and are primarily carnivorous in their diet. Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, Beefheart, Grindle Worms, Black Worms, and daphnia are among the best foods for Discus. Bloodworms should be fed sparsely as should the Beefheart, but they are definitely not vegetarians.

And yes, I have used the Guppy fry before.

67GTO
03-07-2009, 07:55 PM
The stuff I mentioned is Gel-Tek "Ultra Cure PX"... so far it has worked pretty well.

I put about ten drops on a frozen worm block and let it thaw...give it a mix and feed. Any left over I keep in the fridge and feed later.

btate617
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM

I nearly choked on my toast.

Pterophyllum
03-08-2009, 10:43 PM

I nearly choked on my toast.

What's your point?

Pterophyllum
03-08-2009, 10:45 PM
They most certainly are not. Discus are South American cichlids and are primarily carnivorous in their diet. Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms, Beefheart, Grindle Worms, Black Worms, and daphnia are among the best foods for Discus. Bloodworms should be fed sparsely as should the Beefheart, but they are definitely not vegetarians.

And yes, I have used the Guppy fry before.

Well, if they are from South america and they eat the nutritious worms you stated. Will they be able to eat insects too??

Algenco
03-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Discus are not vegetarian by any stretch of the imagination

sid101
03-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Sometimes you can get a discus to eat some spirulina tabs but thats it, get them some brine shrimp.

I have breed this species and this what i found to be the best food for them:

>about 10 regular size shrimp.
>100 grams cow liver.
>half a scoop of rice.
>about a quarter cup of brine shrimp.
>half a sardine. no fins or spines only meat.
>1 chicken heart.
>about 10 spirulina tabs in litle pieces.

Smash it all together untill you get a paste, thats prime discus food.

Im not kidding this stuff is really good and really enhances their color.