PDA

View Full Version : look at these guys!

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 04:58 AM
just picked these up a few days ago, they are settling into their new home and i have to say they are amasing fish

lefty is the one eyed fish, doesnt seem to effect him much except for chasing feeders he tends to lose them haha

check it out

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/2.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/lefty.jpg
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/dnasp.jpg

:1luvu:

Red
03-06-2009, 04:59 AM
awesome what size tank?

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 05:06 AM
awesome what size tank?

dont murder me!!!!! this happens every thread no matter what person posts it :14:

they are in a 55 just them 3 and a big pleco, im a better home than the 30gal algae infested water they used to be in, also they had like 1'' rock as their subs. thats why they are a bit busted up, they were origonally obandoned....so i say compared to the 1st owners (abandoner's) and the 2nd owners (algae people) im a better home, and they just got a nice fresh water/filter/gravel change and vac this afternoon so they are happy as can be! :11:

OscarFan
03-06-2009, 05:10 AM
are those piranahs? neat looking fish
EDIT: lol just saw the section it was in.

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 05:19 AM
are those piranahs? neat looking fish

funny thing is, the people i got them from thought they were pacu's....i couldnt see the fish when i picked them up (water was that green) so i couldnt see them till they were in my tank, i get looking. im like.....ummmmm i see pointy teeth, not flat, i see shiney silver not darker, i see one row of teeth, not 2 and i see the 45 degree angle jaw not flat on the angled side, i see a cleft chin not pointy HOLY COW THEY ARE PIRANAHS!!! hahaha i was nervous about taking them if they were pacus cause i know they get over 30'' and i dont have that kind of room but i would have taken them anyways cause they were in a bad place, someone would have given them a good home

Red
03-06-2009, 05:19 AM
Agreed, don't worry i understand where you are coming from. I would just search your CL for a bigger tank or try to find someone who has a bigger and better home for them :)

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 05:24 AM
yeah im planning on getting a 75+ when i get my taxes so i can leave the 20 for the black con. feeder/breeder tank

Red
03-06-2009, 05:27 AM
I would try to get these guys on beefheart and market shrimp. Saves money and is less mean and safer for the fish.

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 05:35 AM
ill try but they have NEVER been fed meat or live ANYTHING, so im assuming when they get hungry enough they will eat what i put in there, i think they are still kinda getting used to me

Red
03-06-2009, 05:40 AM
They arent all aroudn the place. They are known for beign skittish all the time besides when being fed. If you want a mean fish go with exodon.

bluebluecow
03-06-2009, 08:21 AM
cool fish

I would love one but havent space for a third tank YET

liz

Northernguy
03-06-2009, 03:13 PM
They are nice fish.
Its was a good thought to save them but I am sure glad they aren't Pacus.You have nowhere near enough tank for them.

94 sentra_xe
03-06-2009, 04:25 PM
They are nice fish.
Its was a good thought to save them but I am sure glad they aren't Pacus.You have nowhere near enough tank for them.

thats exactly why i was getting nervous picking them up haha....they arent to skittish when its time to eat cause they have been fed pellets all their lives, they dont know what to do with live food and idk how to get them started on it :help:

i dont really care, if i have to stick my hand infront of their face with a hunk of meat thats cool, the scary ass oscar they had scares me more than they do (whole head is a big piece of scar tissue =/

Northernguy
03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Try what Red mentioned.The beef heart and shrimp.

HomaridNoob6
03-07-2009, 08:31 AM
they dont know what to do with live food and idk how to get them started on it :help:
/

The red bellies I had about 8 years back were tank raised (as opposed to wild caught) on flakes and then pellets. Believe me they have strong instincts, and will figure out themselves what to do with live foods. I would stay away from feeder goldies though, mine didn't do well digestion wise with them. Plus the fact that goldies aren't the greatest food for any carnivore.

I would also strongly recommend beefheart like The Red Severum said, it brings out their sparkly color a lot and they love it! I was told to feed mine pinky mice by a friend, I did it once and just couldn't do it again after that, it seemed too cruel and unnecessary. If they aren't used to live food there isn't really much point in trying to make them eat it unless you wanna see a show. I do have to admit that piranhas put on an amazing show at feeding time if you aren't squeamish.

A good balanced pellet food and some supplemental small live foods (blood worms and so on) should work great. Nice looking piranhas, wish I could have a pack again but they're illegal to keep here.

Jellygirl
03-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Good for you for rescuing them, lets hope your taxes come through soon and you can treat them to a bigger home.:ssmile:

Northernguy
03-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Get a few small crayfish and drop them in.They are an amazon delicacy.
My brother fed his crayfish all the time.One of them found a great hiding place that had stray food moved into from the filter.He ended up at almost 6" before they tag teamed him and ripped him apart.:11:

94 sentra_xe
03-10-2009, 03:57 AM
lmaooooo, there were some fish in their tank that i really didnt care about (3 goldies for fun, 2 baby oscars (wish lived but...) and a small pleco, lets just say they are hard to get on a diet, so far over the week their diet has been, 3 goldies (2'') 2 oscars (3.5'') and a pleco (3'') ((rolls eyes))((sigh))

94 sentra_xe
05-12-2009, 04:59 AM
some updated pix in thier 125gallon home

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/piranhas.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/fishes.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/bigguy.jpg

this guy is my fav^^^^VVVVV

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a321/warriorspeed350/2-2.jpg

BTW, i love my light i have in this tank lol

excuse the glare from the other 2 tanks next to it =\

Demjor19
05-12-2009, 11:50 AM
They're looking great! Nice job!

How's the one eyed Piranha hold up compared to the rest of the schoal?

94 sentra_xe
05-12-2009, 04:27 PM
lol he doesnt do bad, he is a little on the bigger side so he isnt getting picked on if thats what u were wondering, when feeding live he has some trouble, as he can only turn one way to see it and sometimes whatever he is chasing swims off to his right side and he loses it lol but eventually he gets them

and to tell ya the truth the little ones are more daring and aggressive when feeding, sometimes they go for it but turn around and swim away but the little ones dont care as much and just go for it

Brookfish
05-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Fantastic looking Piranha, great pics!