PDA

View Full Version : clean buildup on aquarium equipment

reybie
02-15-2007, 05:33 PM
What do you guys use to clean aquarium hoods, hoses, and tools that have white (residue) buildup on it? I'd like to clean the hood and the powerheads that came with the used tank I got. Regular hot water and scrubbing helps but there are traces left.

Chrona
02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Do you have well water? Most likely, it's calcium deposits. Vinegar should do the trick.

reybie
02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Not sure what the original owner had. It does look like calcium deposits, I will try vinegar on it tonight. Is it ok to soak the powerheads in it too and just rinse them off really good?

Chrona
02-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Not sure what the original owner had. It does look like calcium deposits, I will try vinegar on it tonight. Is it ok to soak the powerheads in it too and just rinse them off really good?

Not sure, although I don't think it will hurt them as long as it's just a quick dip and rinse

cocoa_pleco
02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
i just use regular water and scrub scrub scrub

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 05:00 AM
mine has all those white marks too and i tried vinager it didnt help much....
I tried hot water too and didnt work...
I gave up lol

kimmers318
02-16-2007, 01:39 PM
We used CLR to remove the deposits on the used tanks we purchased and of course elbow grease. Just make sure you rinse very well, and then for extra measure rinse again, but if CLR can be safely used in my coffee pot I feel it is safe to use on my aquarium equipment.

reybie
02-16-2007, 02:44 PM
Googling CLR right now :)

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I also used vinegar with no results. What does work for me is putting the parts in the tub, adding a small (like couple drops) of LimeAway or Snobowel on a sponge and wiping the equipment off and rinsing the heck out of it.
I turn the shower on and rinse very well.

On the inside of the tank, I just use a scrapper to do the water line.

reybie
02-16-2007, 02:53 PM
CLR sounds scary. On another note, do you clean the hoses or if they get dirty inside you just get new ones? The eheim hoses have some dirt stuff inside and running some hot water through it didn't get all of it. I dont have a brush long enough to stick in there.

Lady Hobbs
02-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Get yourself a brush kit. You can get several sizes for a couple bucks. Those uplift filters get pretty crummy and slow down the water coming in.

I take my filters to the sink and scrub all that gunk out of them. It's not necessary to have all that slime when your tank is been cycled for awhile.