PDA

View Full Version : what 30 gallons gonna B

jman
02-15-2007, 03:31 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9I6WVwZ34

kind of what i'm aiming for w/ the 30 gallon.-i keep making changes to it out of all the tanks?...

...but it is so fun!

jeffs99dime
02-15-2007, 03:32 PM
the video master stikes again!! lol very cool!

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Me too! I hope to have all my tanks planted with the exception of the one I plan to put cichlids in. I want an all planted full of neons, one for my angels and another for rams. I want, I want, I want. sheesh

jman
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Me too! I hope to have all my tanks planted with the exception of the one I plan to put cichlids in. I want an all planted full of neons, one for my angels and another for rams. I want, I want, I want. sheesh

you didn't finish...I want, I want, I want... hopefully though i should get most of the plant supplies i want today. i am going to have dwarf hairgrass i hope which will cover the bottom of the tank which will have flourite or some good stuff for plants. and i never switched the light so gotta get the plant light in.

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
I still can't decide on sand bottom on top of the flourite or stone peddles. Takes me weeks of thinking of make a decision.

jman
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
someone please can you recommend everything that i'm gonna need for the planted tank this way i can scratch things off as i go along. thanx

if it helps it's only a 30 gallon.

Chrona
02-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I still can't decide on sand bottom on top of the flourite or stone peddles. Takes me weeks of thinking of make a decision.

I'm planning on solid flourite, and just having some kind of creeping plant like hairgrass or microswords cover up the bottom.

jman
02-15-2007, 04:02 PM
same with me but an easy way to make this choice is by thinking about how each bottom substance will affect...

sand-the plants roots may not grow as well because the sand gets very compacted but, looks natural

flourite-allows plant growth through supprt of nutrients through roots and is not as compact, but not as natural looking as sand

stone pebbles-we always see it and it doesn't really add that different feeling that's probably why i am getting mine out right now-exactly why

Chrona
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Stuff I highly recommend:
Good substrate like Flourite
Seachem Flourish
Seachem Excel
Some kind of liquid fertilizer (or stick fertilizer)

You can get a CO2 System (for a 30 gallon, I'd just make a DIY one with a soda bottle and yeast solution...there are many plants available online.), but in all honesty, unless you have a really nice light array with a lot of wattage per gallon, plus the necessary nutrients, trace elements, etc, this will not do much. Also, make sure that you water is well buffered, as CO2 causes pH drops. I've used only Flourish Excel, which is an organic carbon source, which works great for me.

As for lighting, it depends on the plants you want to grow. I would try to figure out how much you are willing to spend on the project, as well as whether you would want to move onto a seriously heavily planted tank. Java ferns, anubias, and java moss will grow fine under the regular lights that come with tank packages, but you'll need more wattage for a really dense tank.

As for the substrate issue, it depends on the plant. Some plants do not do well at all in a sandy substrate.

jman
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
got it! alright now i just need to tally up the prices.
i was also recommended by experienced plant growers to not use the fertalizer until about 2 weeks at the least.

Severus
02-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Very cool video. That would be a great tank!

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 04:01 AM
BEAUTIFUL:thumb:

Chrona
02-16-2007, 04:02 AM
Looks a little TOO full of plants imo...lol It's a jungle in there!

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 04:04 AM
So far (after 2 days) my plants are doing ok in my 10 gal that is Cycling. I have a finer gravel for a substrate. I hope it's gonna be ok. Should I be adding fertilizer at this point, or is the ammonia I'm adding for cycling enough?

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Welcome to the jungle, we got fun n games, we got everything you want, you know the name. LOL

Go guns n roses!

nice tank

Gelo_USA
02-16-2007, 06:11 AM
woowwww!!! the amazon forest just got flooded LOL
I think it looks coolll.....

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 06:21 AM
do you have to tape a map to the tank so your fish dont get lost? lol

Severus
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Looks a little TOO full of plants imo...lol It's a jungle in there!

I almost like that look. Usually i dont though... lol.

(I guess none of that makes sense)