PDA

View Full Version : My first Saltwater Tank Setup With Pictures.

wis_fishing_guy
03-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Well Here Is where I am so far.60lbs of live rock so far with 2 powerheads and1 fluval 305 AND 1 Magnum H.O.T.

I have 60lbs of live sand coming and a UV Sterilizer and hopefuly by weekend will have my T5s and a Skimmer.

IMG_1878.jpg (37.7 KB)

IMG_1879.jpg (46.2 KB)

I will keep you all posted.

Rue
03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
It's coming along! Thanks for posting pics! It really helps to see the progression.

Did you really want the UV sterilizer? From what I've read, they're really not that useful...however, others swear by them...

Skimmer is important, to pull stuff as your rock cures...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-04-2009, 07:10 PM
The UV is not a great idea. You don't need to use it very often at all. It is definitely not something you want to keep running constantly.

cocoa_pleco
03-05-2009, 12:16 AM
i would just use the UV on a quarantine tank but not the main tank

oldhead
03-05-2009, 02:11 AM
What size tank is that? Congrats on getting things started. Just take your time and all will be well.

wis_fishing_guy
03-05-2009, 06:12 AM
I will just return the Uv.That will help cover my Skimmerthumbs2:

Thanks for the input everyone.

Its a 48gal Bow.I got it off craigslist with stand glass top,some crap light and the fluval 304 msf for $125

rageybug
03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
A good start! I'd list the fluval for sale, the LR will do all the filtering for you. Make a few bucks off of the fluval to put towards lights.

wis_fishing_guy
03-05-2009, 03:37 PM
So should I pull both the fillters off of it now?Because I had the fluval and a magnum running on there.So even down the road when add a few fish the live rock will work as the soul filter.

coachfraley
03-05-2009, 04:35 PM
As long as your powerheads are giving you enough flow, you should be able to ditch the filters.

I didn't know live rock can filter your soul!!!???? No wonder I feel so good after I work on my tank. :)

Rue
03-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Personally, I think you should have some kind of mechanical filtration to pull out all the larger 'tank crud'...I know I rinse a bunch of dirt out of mine. I think it's worthwhile...

coachfraley
03-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Just so you know, Rue and I are not contradicting each other, lol.

Mechanical filters on SW tanks are fine, as long as they are cleaned FREQUENTLY. I run a small piece of filter pad on my tank to catch particulate matter.

Rue
03-05-2009, 05:56 PM
LOL...nope! No contradicing at all! :shappy:

wis_fishing_guy
03-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Well today The fluval 304 msf stopped working to a LPS.They did not carry it no more or no other fluval.But the ladie gave me a brand new Magnum 350.I think I think I will sell that and keep the H.O.T in there as RUE suggested.That thing is a good little work horse.

I can not wait.My skimmer and sand should be here by the weekend:19: .

wis_fishing_guy
03-06-2009, 05:04 PM
I must add that nothing has coasted me any money out my pocket yet.I have been Wheeling and dealing.

Here is how I have done it.

First I had a ladders on my property that I never used.They were here when I bought it.So I sold 1 of them for $150.

That covered the tank setup I paid $125 for.so I am +$25

Then I had some floor standing speakers my old home audio setup in my basement that I did not like.So I sold them for $150.+the left over $25

So that covered My first 50lb of live rock that was a deal at $3.00lb.With still $25 left

Then I had old car audio stuff in my basement from when my ears could still handle that big Boom.I have now sold all that for $300.+25

So that will cove my protein skimmer and lights.

Then I had a old 30gal breeder tank that I traded for 30lb of dry live rock.Another deal....

Still have about $200 of old reptile supplies to cover my new power head and what ever else I get.

Doing things on a Budget.As I read a few weeks ago in The Economic Environmentally Sound Reef thread sticky.

So thanks ILuvMyGoldBarb for that great Thread.

AABatteries
03-07-2009, 03:25 AM
What are you planning on for the lighting?

rageybug
03-07-2009, 03:29 AM
I wish I had some old "junk" laying around! My wife gets rid of everything we don't use. I have to lock up the lawn mower because she wants to get rid of it.... I haven't used it in a few months and it's taking up space!

wis_fishing_guy
03-07-2009, 05:22 AM
What are you planning on for the lighting?

:l19: I just got the order in for my new babys lol....:l19:
Current USA Nova SunDial T5 Aquarium Lighting Fixture, 4X39 Watt, 36 inch

My sand and skimmer came in today!!!So the sand is in and the skimmer will be in sometime this weekend.I just have to do the mods to it.(seaclone)lol..I knowwww(SEACLONE).I read alot of places and seen pictures with the mods they do a good job.

wis_fishing_guy
03-07-2009, 05:24 AM
lol to funny...My wife does not care what I do as long as I cook the meals...lol....

I wish I had some old "junk" laying around! My wife gets rid of everything we don't use. I have to lock up the lawn mower because she wants to get rid of it.... I haven't used it in a few months and it's taking up space!

wis_fishing_guy
03-10-2009, 03:17 AM
Well got my sand in over the weekend!!

But still have not got a rock arrangement I like though.But the wife keeps yelling at me about moving them around.Saying your going to kill the hermits,snails and the peppermints.They were all stragglers on the rocks.I have not had a big cycle spike yet.May be they will make if I don't get them when I try to figure out my arrangement tomorrow.

Will add some more tomorrow!!!

oldhead
03-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Well got my sand in over the weekend!!

But still have not got a rock arrangement I like though.But the wife keeps yelling at me about moving them around.Saying your going to kill the hermits,snails and the peppermints.They were all stragglers on the rocks.I have not had a big cycle spike yet.May be they will make if I don't get them when I try to figure out my arrangement tomorrow.

Will add some more tomorrow!!!

Wow looking pretty nice already. Can't wait to have a look once it all clears up. Seems that you're off to a pretty good start. Good luck!