PDA

View Full Version : Help ! Research needed !

Franny
03-04-2009, 06:03 PM
:fish: :fish:
Hello My Name is Franny, Im a newbie, and I'm here 'on site' looking for you special people out there who know a heck of a lot more about this than I (blush)
Im a bit intimidated, as there seem to be alot of rules and I would hate to upset anyone, or get things wrong, so please bare with me.
I'm looking for information on the long term effects of Jellyfish stings, basically even though Im aware that for some people they can be a minor discomfort, others however may have an allergic response to a Jellyfish sting. I'm looking for a list of long term symptoms that might not go away, I'm aware of a child who had a severe reaction to a sting and the fact that it affect his whole right leg, including severe inflamation, swelling to twice it's size, deep redenning, and a loss of sensation, (that was permanent). Could You please tell me where I may get the appropriate research and statistics on the long term prognosis and/ or symptomology of some of the rarer reactions ?
Thank You, I appreciate the time You have taken to read this.
Franny

korith
03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi welcome to the site. I would be looking at medical/microbiology textbooks for research. Or someone locally at the university in the field of study.

Wild Turkey
03-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Welcome to the site!!! thumbs2:

Honestly, it sounds like a large project and i would seek outside help as suggested above. I doubt fish hobbyists are exactly the experts you are looking for in this instance.

However, its no reason not to take a look around and maybe make some new friends!:19:

invadertoast
03-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Welcome! I don't have any "real" information, but I went to high school with a girl who was stung as a small child. She had a big red mark on the back of her upper thigh that looked like a giant birthmark. As far as I know it wasn't uncomfortable and wasn't swollen, it was just a giant red mark.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, the first thing you need to find out is what kind of Jellyfish you are dealing with here. Once you know what kind of Jellyfish stung the person, then you can better research longterm effects of the sting.

Franny
03-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Thank You SO much everyone,
My Son is at present making 'medical history', anyone here in England knows how good, but incredibly slow our National Health Service is, I'm trying to counter balance the hospital examinations, EMG, MRI, etc, etc, that is being done by pro-actively taking them on in their own back yard so to speak. (I'm a qualified nurse myself, with 23 years experience, also qualified in Complementary therapies)
My Son was stung quite severely two and a half years ago, and had a really bad reaction. We were on the Mid Wales coast at the time, and not quite sure if it was a weaver fish, but it did turn out to be a jellyfish. He now has a withered foot and absolutely no sensation in his foot, no reflexes and no pulse. I managed to "queue jump" as the Matron put it, by 8 months, just by e-mailing my Sons Consultant photos of his feet and lower calf muscles,complete with measurements and temperature, so they could see Im not just another neurotic Mother. We have ruled out alot of the Other causes, so Im stabbing in the dark really, but Im not going to give up without exploring all avenues of enquiry. So thanks to ALL of You, I will be taking note of your advice. thumbs2:

Sharon
03-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi Franny...I'm really sorry that you and your son are having a difficult time. I can't help, but I wish you luck!!!:ssmile: