PDA

View Full Version : Another using old filter media for cycling thread

Paw Broon
03-04-2009, 04:37 PM
hey guys was just reading through a few of these and wanted some more advice. I'm going to get a 40 gallon soon and the tank i have is really small about 6-7 gallons with a dwarf gourami 3 corys and 3 tetra. The new tank will come with a filter that i will use but i was wondering if i use my old one for a while as well would the bacteria build up ok?, and could i transfer my fish when i did this yeah? I could cycle it if not but it is a frustrating time having no fish in your nice new tank.

Wild Turkey
03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
IF you want all the fish to end up in the larger tank:

Move the fish and the filter over at the same time, then add more fish a week or two later.

IF you dont want those fish to end up in the larger tank:

Take a small bit of the filter media from the small tank and add it to the new filter media on the big tank and add a few fish the same day.

Im hoping the first option is what you are shooting for, In my opinion the 6 gallon tank isnt big enough for gourami or most types of corydoras, depending on the tank dimensions. It may be okay with just some neons but its debatable. 6 gallon tanks make great tanks for nano fish (less than 1") or inverts like shrimp or snails. They also can be used to house betta fish.

Do you have test kits? If so, test ammonia and nitrite for the few days following the switch
If nay, probably get some.

Lady Hobbs
03-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Transfer the used filter media and the fish over to the new tank, add some Tetra SafeStart and maybe about 3 more fish for now. Stock slowly. Like more fish every 10 days or so and just a few at a time.

Northernguy
03-04-2009, 04:55 PM
You can transfer you old filter to the new tank.It wouldn't hurt to put some of the media in the new filter as well.Lady Hobbs tetra Safe Start is a good idea.It will help you to avoid a mini-cycle.
You little tank would be great for a beta after the 45 is cycled.

Paw Broon
03-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Im hoping the first option is what you are shooting for, In my opinion the 6 gallon tank isnt big enough for gourami or most types of corydoras, depending on the tank dimensions. It may be okay with just some neons but its debatable. 6 gallon tanks make great tanks for nano fish (less than 1") or inverts like shrimp or snails. They also can be used to house betta fish.

Do you have test kits? If so, test ammonia and nitrite for the few days following the switch
If nay, probably get some.

yeah this is what i am planning on doing now i think, thanks for the advice my sis has test kits i can use but i'll probs just buy one in a few days anyway or she'll start moaning at me!

Paw Broon
03-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Transfer the used filter media and the fish over to the new tank, add some Tetra SafeStart and maybe about 3 more fish for now. Stock slowly. Like more fish every 10 days or so and just a few at a time.
Ok thanks for your reply this is what i will do.

Paw Broon
03-04-2009, 11:32 PM
thanks man yeah i might put a betta in after i have everything sorted, i'll probs just transfer all the filter media to the new filter but still run the old one in the tank too.

bushwhacker
03-05-2009, 12:25 AM
no need to transfer the media if your moving the whole filter the new one will colonise on its own, but putting in just a small piece may speed it up

Paw Broon
03-05-2009, 12:39 AM
ok thanks man