PDA

View Full Version : hatched ghost shrimp eggs!!! please help

ndntakeover
03-04-2009, 04:21 PM
so my ghost shrimp gave birth to about 15-20 babies ...i had put her in a betta container (the ones they sell bettas in) the night before, and now there are a bunch of baby shrimp in it.

what do i feed them? do they have a good survival rate? would i have to clean the water out? because cleaning that little container would definitely be a challenge!

please help : )

this is the first time ive had any sort of fish babies.

p.s. would it affect the little fish if i just pour the water into a larger container? because there is no way i can use a net to get them out of there except by just pouring the water into a larger container.

(i would like to leave my thread in this section because I usually get more responses here instead of another subsection)

Heliwyr
03-04-2009, 04:36 PM
so my ghost shrimp gave birth to about 15-20 babies ...i had put her in a betta container (the ones they sell bettas in) the night before, and now there are a bunch of baby shrimp in it.

what do i feed them? do they have a good survival rate? would i have to clean the water out? because cleaning that little container would definitely be a challenge!

please help : )

this is the first time ive had any sort of fish babies.

p.s. would it affect the little fish if i just pour the water into a larger container? because there is no way i can use a net to get them out of there except by just pouring the water into a larger container.

(i would like to leave my thread in this section because I usually get more responses here instead of another subsection)

Baby ghost shrimps eat infusoria, I think. Which is found often in java moss (if you have it) in established aquariums, but I'm not sure if there's usually enough existing to feed them until they are able to eat regular foods. They could probably also eat liquid fry food or hardboiled egg yolk.

ndntakeover
03-04-2009, 05:01 PM
how about if i crushed flake food and betta bits? will that work?

zx42
03-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I just fed my cherry baby shrimps very fine tetra color and they are now the same size as their parents.

Drip Loop
03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
not only is tetra food pretty much bottom of the barrel, but that color enhancing stuff typically found in cheaper foods usually contains hormones. The babies will eat anything they can scavenge small enough to fit in their mouths. Sliced zucchini or cucumber and lightly blanching it in the microwave (15 seconds usually) is what mine are eating. Any vitamin rich veggy will do. Just remember to weigh it down. I use a stainless steel fork and stick it through the veg. As it softens, the shrimp will go crazy.

You can also consider any high quality sinking carnivore pellets like hikari or spectrum. Mine really enjoy those too. As a general rule of thumb, I do not purchase any food from Tetra or Wardley.

korith
03-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Ghost shrimp go through a larval stage, I would feed infusoria, and very finely crushed flake. Nothing containing copper though. Survival rate won't be too high. Hard raising ghost shrimp in normal tanks, just not the right conditions. Red cherry shrimp are easier since they don't go through a larval stage.