PDA

View Full Version : Nana flower

Kadina
03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I bought this little nana 3 weeks ago for a new tank but decided to put it in my daughter's established tank instead. The other day I noticed it was flowering and I couldn't believe it. Its in a 12 gallon tank with stock 13w of light.

http://olsonpages.com/storage/nanaFlower.jpg

ILuvMyGoldBarb
03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
Very nice. It doesn't take a lot of light for Anubia's to flower and grow well. Just be sure you don't have the rhizome below the surface of the substrate, it will rot if it is. Very very nice looking plant you have there.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-04-2009, 03:02 PM
looks great. Mine did the same thing when i moved it from my 30g which it had been for months to my 110g where it flowered instantly.

Just a caution it might be a plant survival method. If the plant senses changes in the environment and can't adapt very well it may try to put it's last remaining resources into flowering and producing young.

I highly doubt this is the case but you just never know.

*Sarah*
03-04-2009, 03:07 PM
very nice, and is that just plain ol' silica? I'd love to have live plants in my 100gal but I'm pretty sure my Severums would dispose of them.

Kadina
03-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Just a caution it might be a plant survival method. If the plant senses changes in the environment and can't adapt very well it may try to put it's last remaining resources into flowering and producing young.
That is a good point and I hope it is not the case for me!

very nice, and is that just plain ol' silica?
It is just play sand from Lowes.

Alfcea
03-04-2009, 03:40 PM
Wow! It is really beautiful! Congratulations! I've never seen mine blossom up... do you have any tips? lol!

geowashlaw
03-04-2009, 04:32 PM
very nice ... how long did it take it to flower ... I put some nana in my 46g about 4 weeks ago ... it would be nice if they did that

labnjab
03-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Cool. 1 of ours flowered after 6 months, but the flower died after a month, but now it looks like another is going to bloom

Kadina
03-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Alfcea - I just threw it in there and weighted it down a little to keep it from floating off. I do have one Flourish root tab in the tank, about 6 inches away from that nana but I don't know how much nutrients it gets through the roots.

geowashlaw - It was about 2 weeks after I got it that I noticed the flower starting to pop up.

I have been looking at AHSuopply with the intent of rigging a new DIY light in that Eclipse hood, but now I may not bother.

PUNISHER VETTE
03-04-2009, 08:50 PM
well i know mine flowered right when i put it in the tank as well as another month or two after so be prepared to have another flowering if it makes it.

EDIT: i actually have a picture of it.thumbs2: not to hyjack this thread but maybe you'd enjoy these and will have something to look forward to with your anubis.

Although it doesn't look nearly as good as yours does since my tank was going through it's horrible algae crisis of 2008.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/Fish%20stuff/IMG_0796.jpg

you can see the already established flower with the new one coming up to join it.

and here it is flowered and deeper into my algae crisis.
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e289/tparkhi2/Fish%20stuff/IMG_0893.jpg

troy
03-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Good looking anubius.thumbs2:

matthew.shelly
03-31-2009, 09:20 PM
very cool! ive had mine for a little over a month and havent seen anything that looks like a flower yet.

DrNic
04-01-2009, 03:51 PM
That's awesome! I have 4 anubius on the centerpiece rock in one of my tanks. They have been growing well for a while now (over 2 years) but I can't seem to get them to flower.

On the other hand I have been able to get my broadleaf ludwigs to flower underwater which was kind of cool.

Taurus
04-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Great pictures and plant care. thumbs2: