PDA

View Full Version : Female betta with "split" belly :(

invadertoast
03-04-2009, 04:01 AM
So, back in May I posted about a female I have with a giant belly

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=23026

She hasn't changed shape, released eggs, or been constipated since I got her. I've tried fasting her and she wouldn't take peas. She was super active, eating, and seemingly happy so I didn't worry about it. I haven't seen her in a couple days, which I didn't think anything of as she likes to jam herself into the java moss pile. My other females (3) have never been aggressive towards her that I've seen. I just found her tonight and she looks AWFUL. Her fins are shredded and her belly is busted open. The skin is torn away and there's a white mass underneath. The other fish are totally ignoring her... I know she's not going to make it but does anybody have any idea what this could have been? Worms? Should I seperate her? All I have right now is a glass bowl...

s72450
03-04-2009, 04:12 AM
That looks awful. I can't imagine what it is though, but I would seperate her for sure if it were my tank.

Mvjnz
03-04-2009, 04:45 AM
I'd put her to sleep if you think she won't make it. No point letting her die a slow and painful death.

If you think she'll make it and the others are ignoring her, just leave her in the tank.

Sharon
03-04-2009, 11:52 AM
I would euthanize....

fascinated by fish
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM
It could be the onset of dropsy.
If it is dropsy, then there is very little you can do unless you correctly diagnose the problem and treat it early.
Its caused by stress, but I dont think it is contageous.

If you think it is dropsy, then you could try an aquarium tonic salt water bath (just the sick fish)- it draws out the excess water that the fish is retaining inside through osmosis.

If it is dropsy, and you dont treat it, then it will just get fatter, and the scales will pop up till it looks like a pine cone, then it will die. If you treat it, then it might die anyway.

If its not dropsy then it might be in internal parasite.....you could treat the whole tank with an anti internal parasite medicine to rid it. If it is internal parasites, then it is contagious, so its worth treating the WHOLE tank, rather than just the sick fish.

If you really dont think its internal parasites, then you could treat the whole tank with a "general tonic". This will get rid of, and prevent most diseases that might have been missed, and will also sooth the fish that are currently in the tank.

invadertoast
03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Well, I put her in a bowl and she didn't last much longer. I took a closer look at her belly and the white part had like, little white bumps on it? Eggs? I honestly don't know. I've seen dropsy before and I assume a fish wouldn't stay bloated for nearly 10 months before dying. This is just so weird, but I'm glad she's not suffering anymore.