PDA

View Full Version : Are there any true freshwater crabs?

pinchyboy
03-04-2009, 03:24 AM
are there any crabs that are truly for freshwater and that are easy to maintain and are safe for my fish? ty

rageybug
03-04-2009, 05:11 AM
There are several types of fresh water crabs you can try. Often though, it is the fish getting at the crabs you need to worry about, not the crabs getting the fish.

Red Claw crabs and Gold Fiddler crabs are two options. Be warned though, these crabs will eat most types of snails in your tank. But on the other hand, if you have a snail problem, this might fix it for you!

Crabs are known escape artists so be carefull when setting up any rocks or decorations in the tank. Also, the are known to climb power cords on heaters so you will need to get creative. If there is a way to climb out, the crab will find it.

xximanoobxx
03-04-2009, 06:42 AM
What about those micro crabs. They are selling them on aquabid under freshwater invertebrates for a lot.. I wonder if they are awesome creatures

plantedlab
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
I know exactly the ones you are talking about. I have been tempted to get some and try to breed them for a while, but yea. Theyr'e not cheap.

matthew.shelly
04-25-2009, 05:19 AM
There are several types of fresh water crabs you can try. Often though, it is the fish getting at the crabs you need to worry about, not the crabs getting the fish.

Red Claw crabs and Gold Fiddler crabs are two options. Be warned though, these crabs will eat most types of snails in your tank. But on the other hand, if you have a snail problem, this might fix it for you!

if you do research you'll see that although they can be kept in freshwater, they actually do much better in brackish water. they will not live as long, healthy lives in plain freshwater.