PDA

View Full Version : Submersible Heaters False Advertising?!

Dresden
02-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi, I bought a "Elite Mini Submersible" Aquarium Heater 25W (for a small tank) label on the back say's it is made by Hagen the part # is Art. #A-748.

The guy at the store told me it was a submersible (the name is also very suggestive) however when I open the package and read it say's do not submerge below this line etc. and the manual goes on to say "Water must be kept at the MAXIMUM WATER LEVEL as indicated on the heater tube".

What gives. The guy in the pets tore showed me the same model fully submerged resting on the gravel...

I have been away from the hobby for a long long time. Right now I am feeling very misled.

False advertising???

Please advise.

Thank you,

darqmarc
02-15-2006, 02:15 PM
False advertising? Sounds more like stupidity - and not yours! All advertising aside, if the guy showed you a model fully submerged and laying on the gravel when it clearly says not to submerge below a certain line, he's begging for dead fish and electrocution. And heaters can give a nasty zap - experience says so. Ow.

I find it interesting that you have a maximum water level line while my rena heater has a minimum line. And no, it's not fully submersible.

Dresden
02-15-2006, 09:18 PM
Ok, I called Hagen and asked them what gives. Here is what I was told "To get CSA approval they had to put a waterline on the heater but it is completly submersable according to the UL code."

What the hell.

Does anyone know anything about this? What gives?