PDA

View Full Version : Houston, we have a problem!

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh no. I have snails. :ssuprised: I just got home from work, sat in my recliner, and I noticed this thing. It was crawling up the side of my tank. I look closer, and it's what I'm guessing is a MTS. It's pretty big - maybe about the size of a dime(?). I then look closer, and there are MORE! :ssuprised: They're just tiny!!!! That means they're babies. That means they're MULTIPLYING!!! :help:

I'm going to get the ones out that I see. I don't want a tank of snails. :o I just got a mystery snail, which I love love, but I don't want the annoying little boogers!

:help:

*Sarah*
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
I have snails too...I'm gonna be keeping an eye on this thread, hopefully someone knows how to get rid of them...? I thought yoyo loaches ate them but I dunno, they're not keeping up if that's the case.

Fishalicious
03-03-2009, 09:33 PM
MTS snails aren't bad... I purposely put them in my tanks as they don't touch the plants....hide in the susbtrate all day long keeping it nice and airy and if you have sand make sure it doesn't compact... at night they crawl out and eat algae.

I like MTS snails :19:

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 09:39 PM
MTS snails aren't bad... I purposely put them in my tanks as they don't touch the plants....hide in the susbtrate all day long keeping it nice and airy and if you have sand make sure it doesn't compact... at night they crawl out and eat algae.

I like MTS snails :19:

But don't they multiply like crazy? I just spent awhile picking out the big one, and then I got probably 10-12 tiny ones. I really don't want an invasion. lol

btate617
03-03-2009, 11:22 PM
But don't they multiply like crazy? I just spent awhile picking out the big one, and then I got probably 10-12 tiny ones. I really don't want an invasion. lol

Hey Ellen, do you need a new hobby??
You can take out 10 or 12 of those snails everyday, and the great thing is the next day there should be more. There you go a new hobby.....

Brian

Deleted User
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Ellen. If you want rid of the mts you can always remove your mystery snails and add assassin snails They will do the job for you. :ssmile:

Pandora
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Ellen. If you want rid of the mts you can always remove your mystery snails and add assassin snails They will do the job for you. :ssmile:

Hmmmm. In order to get rid of snails, add snails?? Sounds fishy to me:hmm3grin2orange:

Deleted User
03-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Hmmmm. In order to get rid of snails, add snails?? Sounds fishy to me:hmm3grin2orange:

No they really do work & they don't reproduce like mad either. :)

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Hmm...

Well, I only have a few right now (which I know will explode in no time). I did pluck out a good number, but I'm not really sure what to do. Do I keep plucking? Should I find a fish that'll take care of it? I don't know of any place to get assassin snails around here, so I'm not sure that that's an option for me.

Deleted User
03-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Your LFS might be able to get them in for you ellen. It's a shame your over the pond. I would send you some my LFS always have them in.:ssmile:

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Oh wait! I think they may be another type of snail. Just looked up MTS out of curiosity and to make sure that's what they were - but they're different. Their shells aren't as long. He was more "stocky," I reckon you could say. He was more of a blackish color as well. Any ideas?

Algenco
03-04-2009, 12:38 AM
they're most likely Ramshorn

http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/harmony/ditch/ramshorn_snails.htm

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 12:40 AM
they're most likely Ramshorn

http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/harmony/ditch/ramshorn_snails.htm

Yep! Those are them, I do believe. Do they explode like MTS?

Algenco
03-04-2009, 12:43 AM
yes, get them out while they're small, before they lay eggs.
Anchor a piece of lettuce on the bottom, remove it in the morning

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 12:44 AM
yes, get them out while they're small, before they lay eggs.
Anchor a piece of lettuce on the bottom, remove it in the morning

Will do! Thanks

fishlover49
03-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Good luck with getting rid of them. :scry:

btate617
03-04-2009, 01:36 AM
loaches will eat them won't they?

Algenco
03-04-2009, 01:43 AM
loaches will eat them won't they?

yep, they love snails

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 01:46 AM
The bleach killed my plants but not the snails. How did that happen? :spam:

Sharon
03-04-2009, 01:48 AM
If you bleached, the snails should have died...:ssuprised:

Algenco
03-04-2009, 01:50 AM
how long have you had the other plants?

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 01:52 AM
how long have you had the other plants?

I got the wisteria hmm...on January 29. Would it take this long to see the snails?

troy
03-04-2009, 03:29 AM
Welcome to the club.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 03:33 AM
Welcome to the club.:hmm3grin2orange:

Where's the button I can click to withdraw from the club? lol

mommy1
03-04-2009, 03:52 AM
a few months ago my tank was overrun with snails. it seemed like thousands were in there. by reading posts i realized i was over feeding my fish. i started feeding them less (way less). when the snails started to climb to the top i picked them out. sometimes 20-30 a day, it took about a month but i dont have many snails any more. im ok with a few. and ive read that as long as i dont over feed they wont multiply as bad. my snails were MTS but i would think this might work for ramshorn as well.

Ellen4God
03-04-2009, 03:54 AM
a few months ago my tank was overrun with snails. it seemed like thousands were in there. by reading posts i realized i was over feeding my fish. i started feeding them less (way less). when the snails started to climb to the top i picked them out. sometimes 20-30 a day, it took about a month but i dont have many snails any more. im ok with a few. and ive read that as long as i dont over feed they wont multiply as bad. my snails were MTS but i would think this might work for ramshorn as well.

Thanks for the info! :) I'll have to watch that to make sure I'm not overfeeding.