PDA

View Full Version : What fish to go with shrimp

bluebluecow
03-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Hi

I am starting up a shrimp tank, when my plants and extra airsupply come, I am going to cycle it using the foam filter from my tank that is 4 yrs old no desease, so should be able to go quick.

I have the tank up and running now with nothing in it but sand and rock lol, as I had to see what it looks like, trying a blue sand with my yellow sand looks fab

My tank is a Jewul reckord 60 so 60L tank measueremnts are 2Ft lenght and I think 1ft depth and width

I am planting with weighted (ceramic not lead) plants, I use a good ebay plant supplier in 4yrs all plants good no snail hitchhikers

OK enough background sort of lol, My main tank downstairs has a lot of fish I like, but they are not pretty and they are large so it would be nice to put something pretty in my smaller tank, I also have a love of bottom feeders, i would love 1 or 2 small plecs, but dont want them if they would prey on shrimp

I am thinking of having some cherry shrimp and tigers, and maybe whatever my local fish shop can get a hold of, they ahve a new contact for some more unuasul fresh water shirmps.

I have also seen fw clams are theese ok with shrimp, I am planing on planting well and having lots of hidy holes

many thanks in advance

Liz

Dave66
03-03-2009, 11:19 AM
The smaller Rasbora species would be fine, not to mention colorful. Cherry and Harlequin Rasboras would be perfect, and neither species would bother the shrimp. Only problem with any fish in a shrimp tank is that they will eat the young. If you aren't concerned with breeding the shrimp, the Rasboras would be perfect for a planted shrimp tank. Minimum six each of the Rasboras.

Dave

W_Oz
03-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Another fish which would go well with your shrimp would be the Galaxy Rasbora (sometimes called the Celestial Pearl Danio). They stay super tiny and a small shoal/school of them would be marvelous! Be aware though they are a little pricey for such a small fish but they are cool.

Commodore 64
03-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Otos coexist peacefully with my cherry shrimp.

DrNic
05-15-2009, 04:39 AM
How about cherry barbs? or zebra danios?

Wild Turkey
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Full grown danios may go after and swallow the adults. Anything small is fine if you dont mind the shrimp not reproducing. Cardinals or neons are easy to find and work

korith
05-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Almost every single fish will consider shrimp as food. Some fish may not go after the adult shrimp, but they will surely go after the baby shrimp which are a lot smaller in size. The only fish I've read about that are "safe" for shrimp tanks are oto's. Can have some success with other types of fish, but you will have losses. I have some shrimp in a tank with pygmy rasboras (less than an inch in length) and have had some baby shrimp losses.

fishlover49
05-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I would say no fish. I decided to put a very small Neon in with my shrimp just to try it and the little bugger was pretty "fat" by the time I noticed. :scry: I lost quite a few small shrimp. That was a duhhh moment for me. (blush)

bocrayfish
06-20-2009, 05:06 AM
another vote for the oto:hmm3grin2orange: good luck with your fish tank :spam: there isint a shrimp smiley a fish will have to do:goldfish:

hamster
09-27-2009, 06:30 AM
I have panda corys, cherry barbs, and zebra dainos with my shrimp. One has eggs, so I'll find out soon enough if they'll eat the babies. I'm hoping that my java moss provides enough hiding places for the babies.