PDA

View Full Version : My lovely black moor had his fins nipped at

Shrubs
03-03-2009, 08:50 AM
I made the mistake of putting a few gouramis in with my black moor (Jeeves), and I soon noticed they were nipping at his fins. Tonight I gave the gouramis to a friend who has a tropical semi-agressive tank that's more suited for them.

However, I'd like to know if there's anything I should do for my Jeeves? There's no major fin damage - nothing hanging off or anything, but little nips everywhere. It's a 28 gallon tank.

I have API Stress Coat+, should I put in the full recommended dose for my tank size for fin repair? That would mean 28 ml for my tank. Is that too much conditioner? Any other recommendations? I'm not big on loading tanks with medicines, so I'd like to avoid that unless it doesn't have any bad side-effects.

Sharon
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I'd just keep the water quality really good, to avoid infection. Melafix promotes healing if you feel something may be needed.:ssmile:

smaug
03-03-2009, 11:17 PM
I'd just keep the water quality really good, to avoid infection. Melafix promotes healing if you feel something may be needed.:ssmile:
Yup,yup..........BTW,Jeeves will outgrow that tank soon,moors get pretty big and are best suited to at least a 40 gal.How big is he now?

Shrubs
03-04-2009, 04:16 AM
He is on the smaller side of things. I have a few fancies in that tank right now... it's supporting them well, fully cycled and no ammonia, but since I've been reading up I'm realizing I may be in for a bigger investment soon. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

smaug
03-05-2009, 12:27 AM
He is on the smaller side of things. I have a few fancies in that tank right now... it's supporting them well, fully cycled and no ammonia, but since I've been reading up I'm realizing I may be in for a bigger investment soon. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
If you are keeping good conditions and you are conscientious about keeping an eye on there behaviors you will be fine for awhile.Have you ever seen a full grown moor?They get almost as big as a cantaloupe.I keep one in a garden pond and he is quite large.Good luck with them,there a neat fish.