PDA

View Full Version : Collapsed....*sigh*

Drumachine09
02-14-2007, 11:15 PM
I recently set up a 29 gallon mbuna tank with a pretty nice slate rock hotel but it has collapsed. My brother (18) threw a fit like a three year old when he discovered the internet wasnt working. Because my tank and the router/modem is in my room, he went in to see what the problem was. When he couldnt get it to work, he blamed it on my and threw a shoe at my tank. There is no cracks, and all of the fish are ok, but i need to take the peices out and silicon them together. will the fish be ok without rocks in there for 24-48 hours while the silicon dries? or do i need to put in some hidey holes?

Nautilus291
02-14-2007, 11:36 PM
That would make me really made. If my brother did that to me I would beat the crap out of him. Although he is younger than me.

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2007, 11:58 PM
dammit, that was one beautiful rock slate tower you had!

Send your bro over here and ill let my auratus teach him not to mess with fish

cocoa_pleco
02-14-2007, 11:59 PM
silicone takes 24 h to dry, but a week to cure. so next Wednesday it can go back if you silicone today

Rue
02-15-2007, 12:05 AM
That's too bad...

However, you could use the terra cotta flower pots as hiding places in the meantime...

cocoa_pleco
02-15-2007, 12:27 AM
must have been a pretty good throw if the rocks fell. TG i have no brother or sister

Glasstapper
02-15-2007, 12:45 AM
wow, that would certainly piss me off, too. I take it no fish were trapped or harmed?

and I second that silicone takes 24 hours to dry, but a week is best to cure it. I like the suggestion of a few clay pots in the meantime. They're super cheap at Home Depot and come in all kinds of sizes.

Drumachine09
02-15-2007, 12:51 AM
That would make me really made. If my brother did that to me I would beat the crap out of him. Although he is younger than me.

My brother is older than me, about 40 lbs heavier than be, but 1.5" shorter than me, and he always seems to be the one to back down, like he did about 30 minutes ago. In the mean while, i have been blowing off steam by playing the drums. I will not be able to get silicon untill at least thursday, so i placed a couple little caves in there to tide themover untill i have to remove them to silicon them, in which case i will replace them with the clay pots. Do the pots leak any sort of dye into the tank that needs to be bleed out prior to being placed in the tank?

kimmers318
02-15-2007, 01:59 AM
I don't believe natural clay pots will leech anything into your tank, just don't get any that are painted or stained with anything. You can use a dremel grinding tool to widen the hole in the bottom, or hammer pieces out of the sides to make an extra opening.
That sucks that your structure fell...but really glad nothing was harmed or damaged. Here is a thought...why not lean some of the rocks against the tank sides for some temporary hiding places, while leaving the rest out to silicone...silicone it in sections that are easy to put in and out and allow for moveability for changing future setups. Once you have a few sections dry and cured put them in, pull the temporary ones out and silicone those together.
For future reference, some people use some type of "cushion" material under the substrate in case of things like this happening. Not sure what they used, but egg crate comes to mind, but it is some type of DIY material or something you can purchase at Home Depot type places

f1oored
02-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Sorry about your tank. Brothers can be pains at times. My little brother tackled me full steam last night (220lbs) and speared me with his head. I'm pretty sure he broke some ribs but I haven't got an xray yet. Ah the joys of having brothers.

Chrona
02-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Sorry about your tank. Brothers can be pains at times. My little brother tackled me full steam last night (220lbs) and speared me with his head. I'm pretty sure he broke some ribs but I haven't got an xray yet. Ah the joys of having brothers.

lol, what the heck? Broken ribs? I'm glad I have a sister...lol

Drumachine09
02-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Dang, broken ribs are now joke. I broke one last year, and was out of school for a week and a half because i couldnt get out of bed, because if i wasnt laying down, i couldnt breathe. Get it checked out.

Lady Hobbs
02-15-2007, 09:25 PM
They will be fine. They don't have all this structure in the store tanks.

Glue them together and let it set up for a few days to make sure. And give your brother a whooping.

Drumachine09
02-15-2007, 09:27 PM
And give your brother a whooping.

Oh, that was the first thing i did, and then i semi fixed the tank, shortly follwed by a nother whooping!

Chrona
02-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Meh, if you kept piranhas, I bet you he wouldn't mess around with your fish.

Incredulous_Ed
02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Sorry to hear abut that
shouldn't you be able to beat up your brother since you're a wrestler?

Drumachine09
02-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Sorry to hear abut that
shouldn't you be able to beat up your brother since you're a wrestler?

Its usually more of a fist fight to start out with, and then i use a subbmission hold on him (thankyou junior UFC) untill he calms down, then i let him go. I dont like to do it, but it leaves me no other choice.

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 02:32 AM
just do what i do.

If youre really pissed at someone, shoot em with a paintball gun.
Ive nailed quite a few people

For targets, gut, head, and groin are key points. First, shoot the shoulders and ankles to weeken and stun, then, head to knock down, gut to flinch, and groin for final major PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chrona
02-16-2007, 02:43 AM
just do what i do.

Ive nailed quite a few people

For targets, gut, head, and groin are key points. First, shoot the shoulders and ankles to weeken and stun, then, head to knock down, gut to flinch, and groin for final major PWNAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, dude, have you ever been shot in the nuts with a paintball gun while not wearing thick pants? That might be taking things a little too far...lol. I mean, you want to teach your brother a lesson....not leave him impotent...heh

*Sarah*
02-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Meh, if you kept piranhas, I bet you he wouldn't mess around with your fish.

I agree, just hold his head in the tank for a few seconds, he'll learn to leave you alone:wink2:

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 02:59 AM
Ive been paintball canned ALOT.

My idea is just for drastic use.
Go with with the headlock

Incredulous_Ed
02-16-2007, 05:43 AM
just do what i do.

Ive nailed quite a few people......

What I do is throw something at them realy hard and run away like a coward. Sometimes I scream

cocoa_pleco
02-16-2007, 05:53 AM
HAHA. Run, run i say!

Ive been canned so many times, i think i cant have kids.

Theres a golfball, rubber bouncy ball someone PWNED me with, a BMX jump off of a parkade that i SERIOUSLY canned myself, that REALLY hurt, REALLY hurt.

All my buddies still laugh over that one. OWWW

jweintraub
02-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Sorry to hear about your rocks... I'd definately double check the bottom of the tank if at all possible for any cracks, you don't want any tiny cracks spidering out into what could really become a catastrophe! Oh, and I'll second the headlock!