PDA

View Full Version : African Dwarf Frogs

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Okay. I have a confession to make. And this is so dumb and a little silly, I'm sure, but I do feel terrible about it. More so for doing it than for not really saying anything about it.

In August, I bought a four ADF that came in these little container things. There were two in each of them, and I kept one in my classroom and one here at home. It's terrible that they were in these - they weren't much bigger than a betta cup in most ways. They have gravel and a bamboo plant in it. So - I kept these frogs in these containers until yesterday.

Phew. Sorry. I'm pretty ashamed about it and I feel terrible. Of the four, three are left. I was pretty surprised that they made it this long. Well, I finally got my 5g set up, and they're in there now. They're moving around tons, which I'm sure feels good since they've been cooped up for so long.

One of them is even "humming." I hadn't heard them do this before, but one is definitely doing it now! Pretty exciting, really. It's like a very soft and low hum or something. I've read about ADF doing this. I hope that means he's happy.

Right now, they're just with 5 ghost shrimps, some fake plants, and a little cave type thing. I'm going to transfer some real plants over soon probably (particularly wisteria since it's growing like CRAZY in my 20g). I may add some more shrimp - or even go with cherry shrimp after awhile.

...Okay. Long post, I know. But, I was pretty ashamed about these little guys being in my care and in such tiny containers for so long. I've thought about putting the bamboo into the 5g - would that work? I like the look of it.

*sigh* So, yes. I'm a terrible person, but I'm trying to fix it now.

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
Hmm...so here's a picture of the 5g. It needs a background still, and of course, live plants will arrive later on. It looks pretty rough so far, but it'll get better.

Algenco
03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
bamboo, as long as the leaves are out of the water it will be fine

Ellen4God
03-03-2009, 03:30 AM
bamboo, as long as the leaves are out of the water it will be fine

Thanks, Algenco

toddnbecka
03-03-2009, 04:48 AM
That's probably the best use for a 5 gallon tank I've seen yet. If the little ones weren't more expensive than a 10 I'd set one up the same way. If you do add cherry shrimp don't be surprised if they disappear. Both the ghost shrimp and the frogs are capable of eating them.