PDA

View Full Version : Faster Cycling???

kamfu195
03-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I first started cycling my tank 2 days ago. I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 serpae tetra as "starter fish". After only about 3 days i am getting unpatient. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how to speed up this process. Thanks for your Help!

KAMFU 195 -

PostalPenguin
03-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Tetra safestart is about the only thing I have heard to "speed" up the cycling. I have tried Cycle and it only seemed to jumpstart the ammonia => nitrite step while doing nothing for the nitrite => nitrate step. However, you will learn that nothing good ever happens quickly in an aquarium so be patient, check the water and keep up with the water changes. Good luck!

AABatteries
03-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Patience is one of the key things when it comes to fish keeping. If you could get some cycled filter media you would have an almost instant cycle(only about 24hrs).

Sharon
03-03-2009, 01:19 AM
Unless you can get some mature media( from someone you trust to be disease free), you just have to wait! Patience is a virtue!:ssmile:

Anomaly
03-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Yep . . . you'll need some seeded filter media to achieve an almost instant cycle. We've had success with bio-spira in the past but there was still a pretty hefty ammonia spike that we had to keep in check.

HomaridNoob6
03-03-2009, 02:29 AM
AABatteries said it really well, patience is a big thing in this hobby. It's not so bad though, it all pays off in the end. Hang in there!

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 02:45 AM
patience grasshopper LOL yeah its tough waiting for a tank to get ready but its really worth the wait.. if you know some one local that will give you a piece of sponge or some old filter floss from their tank you coud be up and running tomorrow,, you have fish in that tank you really need to keep a check on your parameters and be ready to change water when its needed

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 02:47 AM
ive used tetras safe start and turbo start 700, for the price turbo start i found cheaper for my 125gallon, i did manage to cycle it completely in about 8 days. i used ammonia got my levels up to about 5ppm then put the turbo start in and in about 8 days im fully done, and am quite happy with it:1luvu:

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 02:57 AM
ive used tetras safe start and turbo start 700, for the price turbo start i found cheaper for my 125gallon, i did manage to cycle it completely in about 8 days. i used ammonia got my levels up to about 5ppm then put the turbo start in and in about 8 days im fully done, and am quite happy with it:1luvu:

mike i'm not questioning you but i'd watch that tank close for a few weeks

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 03:00 AM
what would you watch for exactly? the ammonia or .....?

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 03:02 AM
ammonia and the nitrite spike.. i really doubt that tanks cycled i may be wrong and hope i am what do you have in it?

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 03:07 AM
well i still have nothing in the tank after my initial ammonia spike, my nitrites went sky high took few days to come down but now if i add ammonia to 1-2ppm its gone within id say about 10-15 hrs, ive always done the cruel fish cycling, so this would be my 1st fishless cycle. im trying to do this correctly as im not ready to kill off my fronts

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 03:16 AM
fish cycling is not cruel if you do it properly... i dont give a crap what ya hear.. thats just a personal choice good on ya if ya think fishless is better. so you have ammo down in 15 hours if nitrite are also 0 do a change and add your fronts

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 03:21 AM
yeah i used to use mollies but put the through 2 cyclings already they did my 55 and the 36 so figured id let the 36 be there retirement home, i just did my water change on sunday dumped about 30 gallons out, and figured id do the transfer on fri when i can get some help, thanks for the help for making sure im doing it right thumbs2:

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 03:35 AM
mike i wouldnt wait till friday, you need fish in there now if you wait till then your filter may die... just my opinion but you have to feed that bacteria

MikeinNJ
03-03-2009, 03:38 AM
i have syndontis multis with them maybe ill just get them in there for now to keep it going

bushwhacker
03-03-2009, 03:44 AM
kamfu195 first off i'd like to apoligise for hijackin your thread.. mike you can start a thread or pm me and we can continue this coversation