PDA

View Full Version : stocking 30g idea?

Paw Broon
03-02-2009, 09:39 PM
ok i have a male dwarf gourami, 3 corys and 3 neon tetra so these will be the first in the 30 gallon when it is set up and cycled. or if i was going to get a couple more corys and tetra would it be best to introduce one species at a time? anyway some other fish i was thinking was white cloud mountain minnows and guppies, or maybe more dwarf gouramis? i've got a male the now so if i was to get more should it be a couple of females or 3 males 5 females that kind of idea? o yeah and i have a rogue tetra in there so maybe adding more neons wouldn't be a good idea

fascinated by fish
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
ok i have a male dwarf gourami, 3 corys and 3 neon tetra so these will be the first in the 30 gallon when it is set up and cycled. or if i was going to get a couple more corys and tetra would it be best to introduce one species at a time? anyway some other fish i was thinking was white cloud mountain minnows and guppies, or maybe more dwarf gouramis? i've got a male the now so if i was to get more should it be a couple of females or 3 males 5 females that kind of idea? o yeah and i have a rogue tetra in there so maybe adding more neons wouldn't be a good idea

Hello!!!
White cloud minnows are lovely, but I think they actually do better in colder tanks! I had mine in a room temperature tank with goldfish and weather loaches.....infact, when I went to uni, my dad tipped the contents of the tank into the pond....they are still alive as far as I know - I caught one just before we moved house.

I love cories, pretty hardy, and you get a good variety..Id like an emerald one if I ever come accross any! They are schooling fish, so best kept in groups of 6 - I think 30g can accomodate that....although I work in litres....and its different UK and US, lol.
Neons look great in a larger tank too - again, they are shoaling, and look great when theres a few of them together. Dark substrate and subdued lighting really makes their colours "pop"!
Dwarf gouramis are good looking too! (I love your choices)....they do alright in same sex groups, the females tend to be a little less colourful. However, I think 1 male dwarf will be fine on his own - better with at least 2 female. (You may want to check that out though).
Guppies, again, are lovely, particularly the males, but they arent as hardy nowadays as they used to be. They have been overbred, and the toughness has been replaced with more fancy varieties. Again, these are fine in same sex groups -males look wonderful, females a little less attractive, and if you are keeping them mixed, then make sure the males are outnumbered at least 2:1. I would not recommend guppies for a new aquarium unless they are from really good stock.

I wouldnt add the fish to the tank according to species. I would add your existing fish when the tank has cycled (beware the dwarf gourami doesnt get too stressed with the new conditions). I would then use your old tank to quarentine new stock before adding them to the new aquarium :)

p.s. I really like dwarf rainbow fish - I just think they are lovely! They stay relatively small, and have a beautiful silver body with blue/green/red irridescences, and the males have red fins, the females have yellow fins. They do well in schools.....I dont want you to over stock your tank, but I had to mention them because they do look good (IMHO), and they are also fairly hardy and peaceful community fish.

Dave66
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, stirling. White Clouds are temperate fishes, not tropical, so for their continued well-being, they should be kept between 68 and 72 degrees, with 75 their max for long-term comfort.

Founding a quarantine tank to hold new arrivals for at least two weeks, better a month, will prevent you introducing disease into your tank. That said, three more neons one week, three more the next week, and three more the week after that will enable you to have a decent school and see more natural behavior. You could have up to two dozen neons in a tank your size, given your current stocking. Stick to 12, though, since Corys do best in groups of at least six.

Dwarf goramies, all goramies actually, do best in trios; one male to two females.

Describe your rogue tetra, please.

Dave

Pterophyllum
03-11-2009, 01:05 AM

Tetras are great :)

Although tetras and dwarf gouramis..

You should probably get females...

But, definately get cardinal tetras :)

If you get both cardinal tetras and neon tetras (blue ones) then invite your friends over and see if they can tell the difference xD

They might be, but I find it confusing for me to tell the difference sometimes xD

Good luck on your set up

robflanker
04-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Tetras are great :)

Although tetras and dwarf gouramis..

You should probably get females...

uh-oh I was planning on 6 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami when I finish cycling my tank.

Bad idea?

Paw Broon
04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
uh-oh I was planning on 6 neon tetras and a dwarf gourami when I finish cycling my tank.

Bad idea?

Na they're fine man i've got 8 neons with my dwarf now and some danios and they all get along fine.

Paw Broon
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Welcome to the forum, stirling. White Clouds are temperate fishes, not tropical, so for their continued well-being, they should be kept between 68 and 72 degrees, with 75 their max for long-term comfort.

Founding a quarantine tank to hold new arrivals for at least two weeks, better a month, will prevent you introducing disease into your tank. That said, three more neons one week, three more the next week, and three more the week after that will enable you to have a decent school and see more natural behavior. You could have up to two dozen neons in a tank your size, given your current stocking. Stick to 12, though, since Corys do best in groups of at least six.

Dwarf goramies, all goramies actually, do best in trios; one male to two females.

Describe your rogue tetra, please.

Dave

Hey this was a long time ago and forgot to reply about the rogue tetra but i'll tell you now incase you stumble on this. One of them was being aggressive towards the others chasing it and trying to nip them and this was causing all of them to do it. Occasionally they still do it but not as much now in the bigger tank and with more neons. I'm not sure but i'm now thinking it may have been something to do with them breeding.

The guy that said about the rogue also said if i remove it they should go back to normal but it is hard to distinguish which is which when they're all at it. Seems to be fine now anyway so no more worries.