PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Bettas

Ghostknife
03-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Trying to breed a spawn of bettas, fighting fish that is. At the minute the male, Paddy, has built his bubble nest. Chica, the female, has vertical stripes (i understand it means she is ready?) also I can see the tube/ egg popping out slightly.

When I put Chica in a small container in the tank, Paddy gets all mental and looks like he wants to attack her. I am afraid to put her in now. Is this the correct behaviour? I though he would be slightly more welcoming to the female. Can someone actually tell me what his behaviour SHOULD be like as I cannot find it on the net, maybe I am not looking in the right places.

cheers

Chicklet
03-02-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.ask-the-vet.com/breeding-betta-fish.htm

maybe this will help. dunno

Sharon
03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
Well, some aggression is to be expected. If he has built the nest, and she has vertical stripes, it would appear that it might be time to release her. You can always jar her again if it doesn't work out. Do watch them carefully though, as they can do a lot of damage to each other...

Just read your other thread...I would not try breeding them yet, if you've just purchased the female. Both male and female need at least a week of conditioning. Breeding takes a lot out of them, and they need to be in top condition...

Mvjnz
03-03-2009, 02:45 AM
And you need to quarantine the female for at least a month, as a lot of pet store bettas get white spot in the first two weeks after being purchased.

The dad will not eat for several days after spawning, so he needs to be fed good quality high energy food beforehand.

Ghostknife
03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks ladies and gents! I will wait a couple of weeks. Then let them be in eye sight again. Will let you know!

Cheers