PDA

View Full Version : How can I manage this?

hideandseek
03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
I am going to be getting a new 10 gallon setup from a friend for my dorm room and I was thinking about putting a fiddler crab in it. I still want fish, but I know fiddler crabs need a place to get up out of the water. How can I do this and still keep the water deep enough for fish in a 10 gallon?

Also, what is the worse that could happen if there is no dry land for him to get up on?

fascinated by fish
03-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Hi there!
Were you planning on keeping this crab in fresh, brackish or salt water?
Here is a link you might want to read first....I dont know how much use it will be as I will be honest and say I know nothing of those sorts of crabs:
http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/fiddlercrabs.htm

My dad and bro kept crabs for a while (not sure what type)....they are escape artists, so make sure the lid is secure, and there are no holes for them to sneak out of.

If you are definately going to get a crab, then you can buy logs, bogwood and artificial ones from your LFS and garden centres that also sell ponds etc. I would place on in the tank so the crab could climb up it, and sit on the top, out of the water - there are many ways to allow the crab to the surface, sometimes, it can look quite striking.

Make sure you choose your fish carefully because although crabs are scavengers, they are also quite capable of making a meal of live fish too. You will need to provide them with plenty of hiding places.

As for fish - stay away from anything fancy with long fins. No male guppies or bettas. You would do better with rosy barbs or gold barbs (they might get a little big for a small tank). I currently have tiger barbs in with my lobster (and he does hunt, and ambush, and build traps), but given the right setup, he finds it hard to catch anything now. It also helps to make sure he is always fed adequate amounts. I used to have a bristlnose catfish with the lobster - he did fine, until I stupidly put them in a box together for transporting from one end of the country to the other when we moved house.....the lobster caught him then because he did not have anywhere to hide.

I used to keep neon tetras with the lobster, and my parents have kept them with crabs too....just provide escape routes and hideouts and all should be happy.

Id also think carefully about the plants you want to keep too - use thick stemmed, tough ones so they cannot be ripped to shreds so easily. Stay away from grasses and things like hydrilla and water milfoil. You will be better off with sturdy fake plants that have been boiled to sterylise first.

p.s. 10 gallons is small to be keeping crab and fish.

fascinated by fish
03-02-2009, 11:09 PM
p.p.s
If you were planning on keeping this crab in brackish water, then mollies (plain, not sailfin or balloons) might be an option - if given the room to hide. They can adapt quite well to brackish water...although it may have to be done over time. I have not done it myself.

Gemini
03-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I currently have tiger barbs in with my lobster (and he does hunt, and ambush, and build traps), but given the right setup, he finds it hard to catch anything now.
I know nothing about crabs but I"m really curious how a lobster builds a trap?? How clever!!

Wild Turkey
03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Sounds like an excuse to build a half aquatic setup/viquarium. Alternatively, a large rock or log should do it. Be aware either can change ph and you should test the rock with vinegar before using it.

bornbrost
04-04-2009, 07:32 AM
A 10 gallon wont be big enough for the crabs and fish both.Fiddler crabs wont survive long in fresh water and need to be in brackish water.they require a half sand and half water inviroment for the need to be able to spend time out of the water.Require a dish of fresh water to drink as well.Use sand on the dry half for the like to burrow in the sand. Require a temp of 75-85. Here is a site that will help you set the tank up

http://forums.tfhmagazine.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=22988

Here is another that will help you with care of your crabs

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10fidderlercrab.htm

You will be ok with 4 crabs in a 10 gallon tank.The males have the large claw and the females have 2 small claws,3 females to a male .males will fight in a small tankthumbs2: thumbs2: thumbs2: